++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7260 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah wanted to do that, but nothing shows up under driver manager. Apparently it's a bug that's been around for a long time. Just says "collecting information on your system" but nothing ever shows up. Like it's not even a progress thing, it's just a message that says that with no indication of anything happening.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's this process called baloo_file_extr I wonder if that's the culprit. It kicked on a while ago and I keep getting random lockups but they recover. Googled it and it's a big issue for lot of people.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Woah so Kim Jong-Un might be dead. Heart surgery complications. Don't know how true that is though but pretty crazy if that's the case. Also didn't realize he was only 37, he's only a couple years older than me. What am I doing with my life? I could be ruling a dictatorship and be playing Kerbal Space Program IRL!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well did something semi productive today. Enough snow has melted now that I had some maneouvering room with the big scoop. So I cleared out the area where the deck will be. That way even if we get more snow storms coming there will be less snow in that area so by end of May it should be clear and I can start on my deck.

I'm out of shape, manual labour like that really gets the heart going fast. 100bpm right on the money.

Been spoiled over the years with my snow blower. That area is too awkward to use a snow blower so did by hand.

Still kinda bummed that my system is not stable though, was really hoping to put this upgrade behind me and start doing actual productive things. I got dmesg set to auto update on the screen as well as top, so I'll be able to see what was going on when it locks up, if anything.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Finished nailing down the drycore at the perimeter of crawlspace. Feels less bouncy now. Started that last time then my bit broke. New one came in a few days ago.

Was a little nervous since I guess the slab is not very thick, it would go partially through then be really easy. I was worried I was hitting sewer lines or something. There is one capped pipe in one area that would have been for the kitchen at one point. Hard to tell how they would have ran that to the stack so kinda had to avoid drilling anywhere near where the joints would potentially go. Last thing I need is punching a hole in a sewer line and having gases coming in. The nail should technically seal it back but it's not a perfect seal.

Next time I can vacuum all the dust, then start on the drywall! Also need to figure out what to do for the bottom part to push the vapour barrier down against the bottom plate, as the drywall will be a bit higher. Might cut some 1/2x1/2 boards on the table saw.

At least I can say I did a few things on my days off other than fighting with my machine. It's not much but it still gets me a step further.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Just ordered four more athletic cut medium tshirts. Almost all of my shirts are L aand XL. I never thought that I'd be at this weight again. I'm having a problem with all my clothes. Lose so much weight that the L tshirts just hang off me. Honestly, it's a good thing. I just hate spending all this money. I just want clothes that fit me. I also have to wear a belt now or my pants fall off. I can't rebuy everything!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have the absolute worse luck with my own systems. Kinda like how the mechanic always has the worse running car. Saying is all too true for me. No matter what I do it's problem after problem. Wish I could get a system that just works for once.

This is a freaking clean install on completely new hardware, I just don't get it.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I have the absolute worse luck with my own systems. Kinda like how the mechanic always has the worse running car. Saying is all too true for me. No matter what I do it's problem after problem. Wish I could get a system that just works for once.

This is a freaking clean install on completely new hardware, I just don't get it.

If at first you don't succeed... try doing a fresh install again?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This *IS* a fresh install, so don't see how that would help. I more or less finished re-configuring everything so don't really want to go through all that again. Though I could image it then try anyway, but I can't see why it would do anything. It's probably some weird hardware related combination it does not like but I have no more money to throw at hardware to start trying stuff. This hardware was also mining and ran solid for close to 2 years.

Hoping that this turns out to be some kind of known issue that gets fixed next update. Not finding much though so it does not bode well. When a system just locks hard with zero reason there's not really much you can even do to troubleshoot that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
20 minutes till sleep time nef.

When I get home if I remember I will get on the computer real quick to open and close a few things and generate some activity before bed. It locked up around 9:20am yesterday so I'm curious if generating activity will postpone it from happening. I can still ping it now so it didn't lock up yet. If activity does stop it from locking up hopefully some kind of cron job can maybe be used to stop it from happening. I have a feeling it requires GUI activity though. Background tasks probably won't work.