++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7230 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
lusting after Epyc Rome workstation mb nef

If there's no price on it you probably can't afford it. :p Actually even the chips are like several grand. They are insane performance wise but you need to be making lot of money with them to justify it. Ex: be a cloud provider. For the price of a single Epyc machine you could build like 4 fully loaded Ryzen ones. Might not be server grade but really who really cares. My last few server builds were Supermicro Intel based but even those were kind of pricy compared to desktop grade. I eventually want to build a 3 node Proxmox cluster and will probably go Ryzen. Some of those boards support up to 64GB of ram. My current VM server maxes out at 32.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If there's no price on it you probably can't afford it. :p Actually even the chips are like several grand. They are insane performance wise but you need to be making lot of money with them to justify it. Ex: be a cloud provider. For the price of a single Epyc machine you could build like 4 fully loaded Ryzen ones. Might not be server grade but really who really cares. My last few server builds were Supermicro Intel based but even those were kind of pricy compared to desktop grade. I eventually want to build a 3 node Proxmox cluster and will probably go Ryzen. Some of those boards support up to 64GB of ram. My current VM server maxes out at 32.

US650, not outrageous. 7402P is us1250.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
US650, not outrageous. 7402P is us1250.

That's probably like near a grand then. Is there even a place to get it here though? I find with lot of this stuff it's very hard to find here. Especially since we lost Tigerdirect and NCIX. They used to have some selection of server stuff, though it was still rather limited. We have shit buy power here.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's probably like near a grand then. Is there even a place to get it here though? I find with lot of this stuff it's very hard to find here. Especially since we lost Tigerdirect and NCIX. They used to have some selection of server stuff, though it was still rather limited. We have shit buy power here.

I don't have to get it here xd. Canada Computers is decent and I have one about 6km away.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Damn that must be dangerous being close to a computer retailer lol. Mind you I find buying online is better for that sort of stuff so I can google compatibility, reviews etc. Actually it looks like they do have Epyc stuff after all.

But yeah could not justify that anyway. :p 3 grand for a processor. 64 threads though. :eek: There's a motherboard with 2 sockets, so you need to buy two. :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Damn that must be dangerous being close to a computer retailer lol. Mind you I find buying online is better for that sort of stuff so I can google compatibility, reviews etc. Actually it looks like they do have Epyc stuff after all.

But yeah could not justify that anyway. :p 3 grand for a processor. 64 threads though. :eek: There's a motherboard with 2 sockets, so you need to buy two. :p
No, you buy the single pne. The ones with p at the end won't work in 2p setup, that is why they are cheaper. And I don't need 2 cpus lol

Also that 3 grand is in Canada, it's like US1250 in the states...

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Go big or go home. :p

I have to stop looking at parts myself before I cave and buy something. For about $1000 I get a 32 thread Ryzen based system with 64GB of ram. The motherboard says it supports 128GB but I could not find 32GB sticks that would work with a desktop board/cpu.

I need to build 2 of those systems, then with the parts from my mining rig I have myself a nice cluster.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I don't have that luxery of just getting someone to drive it over. Ebay is never an option for me, the shipping is way too expensive. Saw a server case on there the other day with like $900 shipping. Just a case. Rackmount cases are hard to come by so was curious if Ebay would be an option but clearly not. That's why I just built my last one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Go big or go home. :p

I have to stop looking at parts myself before I cave and buy something. For about $1000 I get a 32 thread Ryzen based system with 64GB of ram. The motherboard says it supports 128GB but I could not find 32GB sticks that would work with a desktop board/cpu.

I need to build 2 of those systems, then with the parts from my mining rig I have myself a nice cluster.
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR4 2400 (PC4-19200) C16 Desktop Memory - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V27X6FM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ni9tEbK1EEH8S

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's hit and miss. Heard of stories of people buying stuff and it turns out it's fake. Problem is you only find out later when you start running into issues. Not sure how common it is with computer parts though, but anything to do with memory is fairly easy to fake as you can make it show up as the right capacity but it won't have it. Sometimes they do it with hard drives too, they put a crappy USB stick and a bunch of bolts to weigh in down. Will happen on any platform that allows 3rd party sellers. I think even Newegg does that too now.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's hit and miss. Heard of stories of people buying stuff and it turns out it's fake. Problem is you only find out later when you start running into issues. Not sure how common it is with computer parts though, but anything to do with memory is fairly easy to fake as you can make it show up as the right capacity but it won't have it. Sometimes they do it with hard drives too, they put a crappy USB stick and a bunch of bolts to weigh in down. Will happen on any platform that allows 3rd party sellers. I think even Newegg does that too now.

I only buy from Amazon proper though. Retail is hit and miss as well.