++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7220 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol they got hit hard, like 75cm if more. At least they got to stay home though, so it's not too bad, gives you more time to shovel and clear the car if you don't have to go to work in that. Here they would still expect us to be at work on time. They would probably close the highways leading out of town though and probably cancel school buses.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We're only suppose to get like 10cm here though the way it's falling it might be more. Thankfully I'm off. I hate having to deal with that in the morning when I have to work.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Lol they got hit hard, like 75cm if more. At least they got to stay home though, so it's not too bad, gives you more time to shovel and clear the car if you don't have to go to work in that. Here they would still expect us to be at work on time. They would probably close the highways leading out of town though and probably cancel school buses.

They already got a meter before the 75cm

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Took down Christmas tree and decorations. Feels so bare now. Leaving outside lights and garlands turned on till end of month.

With the weather outside I almost felt like leaving the tree up and watching a Christmas movie instead. :p But instead I was watching some kind of murder mystery show on Global lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The thieves are breaking into ice fishing huts now. Also last night a gas station was hit with an armed robbery. This problem is getting out of hand. The problem is the justice system just lets them back on the street. This city is becoming dangerous to live in. A lot of places that used to be 24/7 had to start closing early because of the issue. Won't be surprised if they implement a curfew at some point.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
No, our self defense laws here suck. If you harm someone trying to harm you, you're the one that gets in trouble. Anything that can be considered a weapon is illegal. If you're going to have something for self defense the best bet is a baseball bat, as long as you also own a glove and ball to go with it. These laws need to change. Even if firearms stay illegal, at very least we should be allowed to use whatever force is available. In the case of stores, clerks are hardly allowed to do anything. All they can do is watch them take the stuff and leave, they're not even allowed to chase them.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Every time I have to do a call trace I feel like I'm a secret agent on CSI. I should write a GUI in visual basic. I say that as a joke, but some kind of GUI would actually be nice... lol.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
No, our self defense laws here suck. If you harm someone trying to harm you, you're the one that gets in trouble. Anything that can be considered a weapon is illegal. If you're going to have something for self defense the best bet is a baseball bat, as long as you also own a glove and ball to go with it. These laws need to change. Even if firearms stay illegal, at very least we should be allowed to use whatever force is available. In the case of stores, clerks are hardly allowed to do anything. All they can do is watch them take the stuff and leave, they're not even allowed to chase them.

Are you allowed to carry a folding knife in your pocket?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Are you allowed to carry a folding knife in your pocket?

It's hit and miss. I think pocket knives like swiss army etc are ok, but butterfly knives are not. Basically anything you carry for the sole purpose of self defense is illegal but if it's a tool you're probably ok. The main trick with self defense here is you need to make it look like an accident. "He ran right into my shovel!". One guy actually used that when someone tried to steal from is garage while he was inside and it worked. I keep a crowbar handy, and my basement is in a constant state of renovations as I've only been rebuilding it slowly over time, so I could probably just say he fell down the stairs and landed on it because it happened to be out. The cops won't try too hard to investigate that, they're as sick of this stuff as we are, but you just need to not admit that you actually hit them.

The issue is the justice system too, since even when cops take them away they just end up back on the street the same night.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I'm not a conservative, but I think you ought to be able to protect your person, family and property from harm.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yep I agree. Hopefully it becomes a more pressing issue next election. Downside is that may involve getting a conservative government. That comes with a total other set of problems like zero care for environment, slashing health care and education etc.

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Yep I agree. Hopefully it becomes a more pressing issue next election. Downside is that may involve getting a conservative government. That comes with a total other set of problems like zero care for environment, slashing health care and education etc.

Exactly. I hate Trump. But I still want to be able to own firearms and protect myself.