++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7201 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ryzen (non threadripper) chips are decent enough though... I want to build a box similar to my mining rig then have myself a 2 node VM cluster. Want to switch to Proxmox so it will give me hardware to experiment on before I migrate to it. 3 (or any impair number) boxes is preferred but think 2 works too.

Should pay off my truck first though...

16 core Ryzen 9 3750X

Differentiation is in memory channels.

Ryzen 2, Threadripper 4, Epyc 8.

As you go up in core count, memory bandwidth becomes the bottleneck.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Why can't you buy Epyc?

That's on newegg though. I'd hate to see the customs on that. :eek: Been a while since I ordered from there as it tends to be my last resort as it's American, but pretty sure stuff ships from the states. Or do they have a warehouse here?

But still, at that price I could build 2 Threadripper systems or like 4-6 Ryzen systems.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Newegg Canada. They have presence here now, though I don't particularly like the ownership.

I am waiting three years for off lease Epyc Rome servers 1P 1U 64 cores.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Crazy to think that companies only use a server like that for a few years. Seems like such a waste lol, but good for people like us who can get them off lease. :p

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Muahahahha a guy from Winnipeg is finally able to wear long pants after 18 years. He vowed to not wear pants until Bluebombers won the Gray Cup. Only took 18 years lol.

Reactions: zzuupp

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I hope Intel has a solution in three years.

They need to work on the security too. :p Intel CPUs are the IIS 6.0 of this era. :p

Seriously though will be interesting to see what they come up with though, I'm sure they are scrambling at this point. They've been ahead of AMD for a while now and AMD just keeps dropping these bombshells.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Muahahahha a guy from Winnipeg is finally able to wear long pants after 18 years. He vowed to not wear pants until Bluebombers won the Gray Cup. Only took 18 years lol.

haha reminds me of the guy who vowed not to shave his beard until they find Osama Bin Laden. That 10 year beard was pretty crazy lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well that sucks just realized I lost my Gopro USB cable, and the Gopro does not use a normal USB plug, it's more oval. So not only is the battery completely dead (which is bad for it) but I have no way to charge it until I get a new one. I don't know how that happened because I always made sure to keep the cable stored with it.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Well that sucks just realized I lost my Gopro USB cable, and the Gopro does not use a normal USB plug, it's more oval. So not only is the battery completely dead (which is bad for it) but I have no way to charge it until I get a new one. I don't know how that happened because I always made sure to keep the cable stored with it.

Did you know that when you bought it? I would have wanted a standard cable. I have a stupid Sennheiser bluetooth headset that needs a proprietary dongle. Asshats. Everything should be USB Type C these days.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Did you know that when you bought it? I would have wanted a standard cable. I have a stupid Sennheiser bluetooth headset that needs a proprietary dongle. Asshats. Everything should be USB Type C these days.

No that's the type of thing they don't really advertise. I was annoyed when I realized it. Looks close enough to microusb that it's easy to mistake it too.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ahahaha Blue Bombers finally get the Grey Cup to Winnipeg and they break it!andrew-harris-mvp.png

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Man, this is a great evening. The Habs folded early. They are fighting ever so valiantly. Down 5-1 halfway through the 2nd. Make that 6-1. Pasta with the hat trick!

cut.jpg