++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7047 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
tenor.gif

I met her last year. Well, she was introduced on stage at a taping intermission.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My sister's furnace gave out, it's a rental (guess they got suckered into it) and they can't come fix it till tomorrow. What's the point of paying all that money if you can't get 24/7 support? I thought that was the whole idea of renting. Went to check it, it's a super sloppy install, they never even bothered piping the fresh air intake outside, so it's losing out on efficiency.

Also, is it common for the combustion chamber in a furnace to actually be open? Normally they are a separate enclosed part of the furnace.

It starts all the way up to the point of having ignition, but then it just dies. I would think maybe the flame sensor, but I would expect it to run a little longer if it was that. It pretty much dies as soon as the flame goes on. I was suspecting the thermostat so I shorted out the contacts.... but, the wrong contacts. Blew a fuse. Didn't want to probe in there more than that in case I blow something else and didn't have a spare fuse, so it will have to wait till the rental company can go and they'll just act dumb. Don't think you're suppose to touch it if it's a rental, but it's crazy to make people wait, so was hoping I could get it going for them. Thankfully they have a fireplace as backup so at least their pipes won't freeze.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
he has no money so it is just daydream

Lol yeah I COULD put it on credit but I want to buy it cash. Want to pay my mortgage off first. Meanwhile I'm just saving up through the corporate share contributions. I'm at 25k so far. So I could very well have enough money to buy a decent property by the time the mortgage is paid off provided the stocks don't tank... Though it would probably be smarter to just put that money on the mortgage. The company contributes a small percentage as long as I keep it in there for 2 years (which is technically 3 the way things work out) so ideally I should just take the stocks that I'm allowed to remove without the penalty, then put that on the mortgage. But it also acts as an emergency fund so best to leave it... decisions decisions.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As a side note I think my dad got ransomware on his PC. He sent me a screenshot of a bad website he landed on, and it was basically threatening him to take action or all his files will be gone, and he said it was beeping and stuff. Guessing the web page probably loaded malware on the machine. Not looking forward to dealing with that when I'm off. Told him to just power it off and leave it. If it is indeed ransomware I imagine it takes some time before it can encrypt everything. He has backups but don't know how old they are.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
One of my favorite guys I work with from my favorite client isn't doing so good. He has lung problems, as well as weight and heart. He's had copd for awhile now. He used to smoke, which is a lot of it, but I suspect silicosis also from operating equipment most of his life. His breathing's gotten worse, and now they want to test for cancer. Hoping for the best, but I guess everyone has to die some time :^/