++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 3000 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
it looks like the pins are .17mm-.27mm with a .2mm pitch. In my brain that means if I got with a .2mm ball, it could either be a little small or a little big. I'm assuming you want the ball to be a little big to ensure good contact. But not to big as to overlap onto other pads.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
it looks like the pins are .17mm-.27mm with a .2mm pitch. In my brain that means if I got with a .2mm ball, it could either be a little small or a little big. I'm assuming you want the ball to be a little big to ensure good contact. But not to big as to overlap onto other pads.

did you see the not meant for hand soldering?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
We ordered one of these bad boys with all the goodies:
http://www.smttools.com/bga100.html

I already have an IR/Hot Air Rework station. So right now we are waiting for the scope, thermocoupler (fancy one that displays on the PC) and the reballing kit to come in.

Its not exactly hand soldering. But its for sure not a professional BGA rework station. But if I prove my concept and am able to replace and upgrade memory chips on the terminals we use, a real rework station might happen. I'm hoping we find that the equipment I already have works well enough so I can get them to buy me an ultrabook with the money I saved them.

Oh..and if the memory upgrade goes well, the owner can do a project he has been drooling over for a while but wasn't able to do.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Could be wrong but on a 6x8mm package(I think that one is 6x8mm) it should be 0.75mm ball pitch.

how did you figure that?

Please please please tell me. Figuring ball size has been the one thing I haven't been able to do!

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
quickreply.gif