++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 2970 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm the big decision. Been fighting with my PC for almost a year, decided to get an ATI card since I suspect it's a nvidia driver issue. Can't get old Linux system to boot properly so trying different Linux distros. Overall I have to fight with everything when it comes to installing basic things like Java and all that crap (which are required for lot of things). Even simple things like mouse settings or adding an icon to the desktop are a bit battle in Linux. Choose icon... just dumps me to a open box. Gee, thanks, WTF do they store icons, I don't know? Fuck it, leave it default.

OR I can go back to Windows and everything "just works" but then I'm in a proprietary environment that could potentially have NSA monitoring built in and I'm at the mercy of MS's decisions... such as windows 8. I'd be sticking with 7 for a long time though but just the idea that the direction their heading is terrible makes me not want to be part of it. But... it just works. Wont have to dual boot as much either to do stuff.

But then, there are certain things that actually ARE better in Linux like native NFS access and what not. Decisions decisions...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Trying out kubuntu right now. So far... I like it. It's everything I liked about Xubuntu such as the alt right click for window resizing (I don't know how I lived without that before) and more. A more shiny polished looking interface. The widgets are interesting too, but you still get your standard start menu and desktop too. Still need to get all my stuff to work though, so very early stages. :p