++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 900 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I need something with full manual selection options to adjust exposure, ISO, et cetera, et cetera. Also, something that can handle massive illumination contrast.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Friday, 11AM. Fender removal begins.
Friday, 1PM. Driver's side headlight is opened.
Friday, 1:30PM. Project stalls on a OMGWTFBBQ how will this fit.
Friday, 3:30PM. Project resumes.
Friday, 5PM. Bracket completed.
Friday, 10PM. Inner bezel/reflector trimming completed. Outer bezel is found to be significantly out of alignment with lens placement.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Saturday, 10AM. Bracket is disassembled, and rebuilt in a new placement.
Saturday, 1PM. Reflector has been retrimmed to fit the new bracket placement.
Saturday, 1PM. High beam solenoid selectors are finished.
Saturday, 2PM. Flash to pass found to trigger xenon lights as well.
Saturday, 3PM. Outer bezel fitment testing is begun. Can be forced, but it isn't quite right.
Saturday, 10PM. Projector frame has been painted silver. Upper lid has been filed down.
Saturday, 11PM. Bezel cut to fit.
Saturday, midnight. Cutoff pictures taken. Two wing shields carved out and painted.

Now, at this point, the driver's side light is essentially finished. It needs the wings to cover some open holes, and that'll about finish it.

The passenger side light has not even been opened.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Alfa, I honestly doubt anything would bail out this poor little P&S from this kind of light. When I fire up the full show, it's 70 watts of full exposure xenon, plus 120 watts of halogen.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Alfa, I honestly doubt anything would bail out this poor little P&S from this kind of light. When I fire up the full show, it's 70 watts of full exposure xenon, plus 120 watts of halogen.

What are you expecting a DSLR to do? A tripod + small aperture on that thing might work

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Sunday, 10AM. Passenger capsule is unsealed.
Sunday, 2PM. Projector bracket mounted.

Sunday, 10AM. Passenger capsule unsealed.
Sunday, 4PM. Projector bracket mounted.
Sunday, 5PM. Reflector cutting finished. Contrast this. A little more than an hour to cut the second reflector, compared to almost four for the first.
Sunday, 6PM. Dual cutoffs finally realized.
Sunday, 7PM. Outer bezel trimmed and fitted.
Sunday, 9PM. All cutoffs configured. All wiring assembled. Lights are ready to be removed from car, cleaned, and sealed. Cutoff bowing was reduced by 50%+ by partial reassembly.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
What are you expecting a DSLR to do? A tripod + small aperture on that thing might work

DSLR is better for manual adjustments, i.e. tell it to ignore the darkness and focus on the light.

Besides, no matter where I put the 1400 or how much I try to reconfigure its focus point, it can't see the whole rainbow of light.