++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 538 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
My suggestion - do something like what I do. It's pretty awesome.

Shift both direct deposits to an ING Direct savings account. Pay all credit card bills via the ING account. If you need cash, you'll need to think beforehand, move money from ING to either BOA or WF (see below), then take it through an ATM.

Regarding whether to have BOA or WF as your cash ATM access account, take the one with the most ATMs in your area, and do consider fees on ATM usage or card usage.

For the other bank account (WF or BOA), make it your PayPal account. Link that to your PP, unlink any others, and that way if PP ever decides to fuck with you, they can't threaten your major accounts.

Why not just close all my accounts and open up an account with a credit union OR local bank which has similar offers? I'll keep my wells fargo open for paypal crap but that's about it. Then when I move from here I'll move to a new bank

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Why not just close all my accounts and open up an account with a credit union OR local bank which has similar offers? I'll keep my wells fargo open for paypal crap but that's about it. Then when I move from here I'll move to a new bank

This way I can walk in to a branch with any issues. Also I'll have a local ATM

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
They've screwed me over a couple of times and their customer service is horrific. Still, if my estimates are correct and we're looking at $70/month in savings, that is a decent amount of money. I told my wife that we may just have to keep switching every couple of years. :D

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

1) Do you have enough ATM's for a credit union, taking into consideration any traveling you may do?
2) Compare the interest rate of savings accounts for ING versus pretty much anything else.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
1) Do you have enough ATM's for a credit union, taking into consideration any traveling you may do?
2) Compare the interest rate of savings accounts for ING versus pretty much anything else.

credit unions would be a better idea than a small bank because down here credit unions have a sharing atm network. Much easier to withdraw cash.

Plus most will reimburse atm fees.

They've screwed me over a couple of times and their customer service is horrific. Still, if my estimates are correct and we're looking at $70/month in savings, that is a decent amount of money. I told my wife that we may just have to keep switching every couple of years. :D

They MAY have different support for uverse. Like priority or some crap

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
They MAY have different support for uverse. Like priority or some crap

I'll talk to my friend tomorrow, as he has Uverse. He told me he is paying almost $200 a month but I think he has additional phone lines. $200/month wouldn't be worth a switch.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
If it were me living alone, I'd drop everything but Internet, jack that up in speed, and then use Ooma for phone and a combination of Netflix/Amazon/Youtube/whatever for entertainment (plus OTA for local channels). I've tried to convince my wife to completely drop TV, but she won't.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I shudder when I recall paying for cable when I was single, and that's when there was actually good stuff to watch on History, Discovery, and TLC. How things have changed in 10 years...

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
We have an expanded cable package here.

My sister watches Law & Order, Bones, and other crime show reruns.
My parents watch House Hunters and the DIY network.
My mother watches TLC, and occasionally Lifetime.
I'll (rarely) watch Spike, and mostly, just football.

Honestly, basic cable would give me almost as much.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
NETGEAR RangeMax Premium Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WNR3500)

I love it. It's an open source router so DD-WRT and tomato work perfectly with it.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
We have an expanded cable package here.

My sister watches Law & Order, Bones, and other crime show reruns.
My parents watch House Hunters and the DIY network.
My mother watches TLC, and occasionally Lifetime.
I'll (rarely) watch Spike, and mostly, just football.

Honestly, basic cable would give me almost as much.

I watch no cable. I either use other sources if I want to watch on my HT or hulu / netflix.