++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 530 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Barely! It should run as high as memory permits for 24 hours+. You would be surprised what it can catch. Don't chicken out! Let it run at high priority using all your memory to be sure. Stress out the IOH as well. If no problems then smile. (or go back and try for more MHz) If it isn't crashing you are not pushing it hard enough. If it burns up you are not cooling it good enough, etc. :p

It gets too hot to run overnight. It is fine for now. I am too cheap to buy another cooler.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Are you actually watching the entirety of Colts games?

I mean, if this were the Patriots blowing up this badly, I probably would watch the first half and then give up in disgust.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Are you actually watching the entirety of Colts games?

I mean, if this were the Patriots blowing up this badly, I probably would watch the first half and then give up in disgust.

Honestly, I haven't watched much football at all this year. Been too busy with other things but I'm watching it now.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
That's not dangerous however it's higher than I feel comfortable with. With a 980X at 4.3 / 1.35V I was hitting 85C and was OK with that given the CPU and conditions. (ambient 22C, H70 with single 1850RPM GT)

With that CPU your temps should be at least 10C cooler I would think. Unless your box is warm inside. Even still let it run for a few hours and see what the peak temp reaches. As long as it does not get above the mid 90s I would not worry about it. Good news is if there are no issues with stability at those temps you have a decent chip as better cooling (proper water) would put temps in the mid 60s at worse and you could probably reach upper 4GHz range!

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
That's not dangerous however it's higher than I feel comfortable with. With a 980X at 4.3 / 1.35V I was hitting 85C and was OK with that given the CPU and conditions. (ambient 22C, H70 with single 1850RPM GT)

Yeah, it is an older cooler but was near the top in its day (2008). I've read that other i7s were getting into the lower 80s with that test so it probably isn't too out of line given the HSF and I just saw that the cooler fan was only doing 1200 RPM. I can increase that and I also need to put a fan on the back of the case -- I removed it during my brief flirtation with the H60 and forgot to put it back on. :oops:

With that CPU your temps should be at least 10C cooler I would think.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking -- it should peak at maybe 80 C.

Unless your box is warm inside. Even still let it run for a few hours and see what the peak temp reaches. As long as it does not get above the mid 90s I would not worry about it.

I thought the 2600K throttled at 90?

Good news is if there are no issues with stability at those temps you have a decent chip as better cooling (proper water) would put temps in the mid 60s at worse and you could probably reach upper 4GHz range!

True, but I am really not looking to spend more money on cooling at this point. I do need to add an additional fan to the case and could consider a push/pull on the heatsink, but that's about all I'm willing to do. The SA and DH-14 are better but they are just way too big and again, there's that cost thing.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Okay, they're way out on the far edge of the town, but it's still probably only 20 minutes, no highway.

Doesn't matter much though. Tint can wait for the summer, when I'll get maximum benefit from it.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I wonder what those horizontal distortion waves are caused by on my car windows. It's only on the side windows, I can't see it on the rear glass (it might be there), and it's not on the front.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
mike caleb corey jeremy video physics.mp4 mike caleb corey jeremy video physics.mp4 mike caleb corey jeremy video physics.mp4 mike caleb corey jeremy video physics.mp4 mike caleb corey jeremy video physics.mp4