ATOT Dentists: Ugh - just bit into a fork, very slightly chipped my front top tooth

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Now on the bottom it's a bit "uneven". Nothing I can notice in the mirror but I can definitely feel it.

Is this something I *have* to go to the dentist for?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
forks are not for eating

-not right now, but i'd get it fixed if you can see the pulp

Mar 11, 2004
You really need a different user name, OP.

Also, yep. In fact, you'd better go right now, you might end up with a dry socket and die from the pain which is as bad as being shot....in the face.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
probably a tiny white filling is possible....they only last a few years though.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Depending on how small the chip is, you might not even want to bother trying to get it filled - one of my incisors got chipped a few years ago without me noticing and the filling wouldn't hold. It came off and I swallowed it probably with the first 2 or so months.

As long as you're not in pain, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: Ken g6

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
The exact same thing happened to me two years ago except I chipped one on the top and one on the bottom from biting down on the fork. I called the dentist on a Saturday and he insisted that I come. I thought "Wow, what a nice guy coming in for me on a Saturday". He spent 30 seconds smoothing the edges out with the dentist equivalent of a Dremel tool. Two weeks later I got the bill. $200 for the procedure and a $300 surcharge for a Saturday visit.

I no longer see that dentist.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It depends how big it is.

I did the same thing a few months ago, but it was only a very tiny chip. Invisible, but I could feel it with my tongue or a finger nail.

Anyway, I left it - just took extra care with brushing. 2 months later it had smoothed itself out (presumably, just due to the natural acid/regeneration balance and a little bit of polishing from the toothpaste).

Reactions: Ken g6

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
They're going to have to extract all of your teeth and give you dentures. Sorry for your loss :(

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
Who is the asshat that makes the dentist come in on a sat when they aren't there? That explains the saturday fee. A dental office is a business, we aren't out there to help people out for the good of it.

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Who is the asshat that makes the dentist come in on a sat when they aren't there? That explains the saturday fee. A dental office is a business, we aren't out there to help people out for the good of it.

I didn't make him come in. I called him on Friday afternoon which was a holiday so they were closed. He returned my call on Friday evening. I explained the situation, and offered to email a pic. I told I thought I could wait until Monday but wanted his opinion. His exact words were "I(him) would feel better if you came in tomorrow, just to be safe".

Now I know why he would feel better, he made $500 for 30 seconds work. I'd feel a lot better after that too!

edit: I'd also say that my family and I had been using him for over 10 years. I've never had anything other than a cleaning but my parents have had lots of work. We've probably given him over $20,000 in business during that period. It was a bad business decision as well since half of us no longer see him.

Last edited:

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
If the chip in the tooth is big enough, you can exploit it by hiding small doses of drugs like cocaine, LSD, heroine etc to get through the airport security and then later on get high on the plane.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Look at the bright side!

If the chip in the tooth is big enough, you can exploit it by hiding small doses of drugs like cocaine, LSD, heroine etc to get through the airport security and then later on get high on the plane.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Now on the bottom it's a bit "uneven". Nothing I can notice in the mirror but I can definitely feel it.

Is this something I *have* to go to the dentist for?
KIn cases like yours - they recommend pulling all of your teeth without using anesthesia! Good Luck!!

Mar 11, 2004
It's always nice to see a group of people belittle someone for inquiring about their health. #machomen

Its great how you're digging through 7+ year old threads so you could deliberately miss sarcasm. Plus, oh yes, this was a dire health issue, he was sure to die if he didn't get help immediately! This isn't moronic guys not going to the doctor when they have serious health problems and then dying because of it because they've been conditioned to be "real men" and ignore the pain, this was someone worried that a chip on their tooth that isn't even visible warrants a trip to the dentist. Most likely they're concerned because they probably can't afford it because some fucking taxman asshole is auditing them over some minor issue, while they do fucking jack shit about major tax fraud perpetrated by rich assholes.

yeahimthetaxman

Jan 26, 2019
Its great how you're digging through 7+ year old threads so you could deliberately miss sarcasm. Plus, oh yes, this was a dire health issue, he was sure to die if he didn't get help immediately! This isn't moronic guys not going to the doctor when they have serious health problems and then dying because of it because they've been conditioned to be "real men" and ignore the pain, this was someone worried that a chip on their tooth that isn't even visible warrants a trip to the dentist. Most likely they're concerned because they probably can't afford it because some fucking taxman asshole is auditing them over some minor issue, while they do fucking jack shit about major tax fraud perpetrated by rich assholes.

It’s great how you’re deflecting attention away from your bullying by calling it sarcasm. Never said it was a dire health issue either. I just understand OP’s concern.

Anyway, you dudes have fun and try to be a little kinder in the face of “major tax fraud perpetrated by rich assholes” or whatever little spiel that was.