News Atomic Heart

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Feels like i've heard of AH for a very long time, and that typically never bodes particularly well for a game.

I feel like it was a title NV was touting for RTX as far back as the 2xxx series.

Looks interesting and artsy-fartsy enough, kinda got a "Shock-Lite" vibe to the game.

However small eastern euro studio, absurdly long dev time, and jumping on the proprietary tech bandwagon early generally means the game is going to be a hot mess at launch.

MIght be wrong, but we'll see soon enough.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
apparently someone leaked online a complete dev build of the game... that doesn't have Denuvo.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've been waiting for this game for years. Still have the RTX tech demo installed from about 4 years ago.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Nice that it's getting very positive reviews still no buy because of Denuvo

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's interesting that the game had a ray tracing specific demo years ago, but the retail game contains no ray tracing option.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I've read that ray tracing and HDR could be added back in at a later date over at Reddit based off speculation of course. I don't use RT in any games due to the performance impact but HDR is something I really like to have available. I'll be picking this up as soon as I finish Hogwarts.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Feels like i've heard of AH for a very long time, and that typically never bodes particularly well for a game.

I feel like it was a title NV was touting for RTX as far back as the 2xxx series.

Looks interesting and artsy-fartsy enough, kinda got a "Shock-Lite" vibe to the game.

However small eastern euro studio, absurdly long dev time, and jumping on the proprietary tech bandwagon early generally means the game is going to be a hot mess at launch.

MIght be wrong, but we'll see soon enough.

- I'd like to pat myself on the back

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i so wanted this game when it was first introduced, but watching though it, it seemed like a high def version of bioshock.
I think i'll wait for it to go on sale.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
It's on game pass so that will help a lot.

Just be careful if you are into robosexuality for a few reasons.

35bed499-3468-4626-8158-8d7873c2cbd2_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's included in Game Pass, so installed it yesterday.

Kind of neat to look at but that's pretty much it. I'm not having that much fun playing it tbh and I'll likely just uninstall it. I can sort of appreciate what they were trying to do but at the end of the day it's just not all that enjoyable and the character dialogue is basically obnoxious. It's almost like a Russian Wolfenstein with a little Bioshock taped on. Meh.

...there's also a highly sexualized robo-refrigerator that you interact with to get upgrades and whatnot--extremely weird and mostly exhausting.

Reactions: DigDog

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have it but never got to try it. It got decent reviews from the two people that I follow. But what I hear is the dialogue is annoying and it's because it was the literal translation from Russian to English which makes it sound weird whereas in it's native language would sound fine and make sense.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, my initial impressions are, that it's HARD.
Very bioshock-like, you have a shock blast that briefly stuns mobs, a melee weapon, and a shotgun. mobs hurt really bad, and while you have a very short range dodge that is the equivalent of dark souls' roll, you are supposed to press this when the enemy glows and if you don't, it's basically game over. Aside from this minigame, the mobs themselves hurt a ton even when not doing the glow special move. Ammo is limited.
Dialogue is .. very americanized. As said by @EXCellR8 the upgrade bot is *extremely* annoying.
i've had a few soft locks too, and the game has the habit of throwing you from a cutscene to a combat where you have a split second to not die, or sit again through the cutscene. The very first mob i fought killed me several times, and then i died again multiple times to the next mobs before i could save. And i'm basically in the intro, everything is locked, skills, weapons, upgrades.
TBH not a great start, but not the worst thing i've ever played.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Does the game have the RPG-Lite elements of most Shock-Like games? Leveling up, additional health/Mana, skill tree, inventory?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
People saying it is Bioshock in USSR :D. Funny reviews on Steam

In Russia this is how we make Bioshock. :tearsofjoy:

However i have no idea how the development team is moving US sale funds back to Russian Rubles.
And if they are, man, they must be banking hardcore on that exchange rate.

Does the game have the RPG-Lite elements of most Shock-Like games? Leveling up, additional health/Mana, skill tree, inventory?

I absolutely love this channel when i want to see a real gameplay without annoying background comments, or screaming.
But it seems like it has all that.

Reactions: Igo69

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
yeeeeeah, for me Atomic Heart is done.
So, basically you are plying a 3rd person version of Resident Evil. Your resources -e.g. your bullets - are limited, and you either scrounge everything in your path, or you will wind up stuck in an unpassable section. Because, if AH puts a mob in your path, 99% you gonna need to fight it. And, while i could even deal with the must-open-every-container aspect, you are also easily overencumbered, which means you need to backtrack to a upgrade pod to disassemble what materials you found .. AND the upgrade pods are a point of failure for crashes ..
sorry not sorry - i have already invested too much time in this. I watched a walkthrough instead (skipping mostly) and that's it for Atomic Heart.

• Haha
Reactions: aigomorla

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
yeeeeeah, for me Atomic Heart is done.
So, basically you are plying a 3rd person version of Resident Evil. Your resources -e.g. your bullets - are limited, and you either scrounge everything in your path, or you will wind up stuck in an unpassable section. Because, if AH puts a mob in your path, 99% you gonna need to fight it. And, while i could even deal with the must-open-every-container aspect, you are also easily overencumbered, which means you need to backtrack to a upgrade pod to disassemble what materials you found .. AND the upgrade pods are a point of failure for crashes ..
sorry not sorry - i have already invested too much time in this. I watched a walkthrough instead (skipping mostly) and that's it for Atomic Heart.
Watch a stream of it and most of the fighting seems to be either with melee weapons or a energy type of gun that regains ammo over time for normal fights and no one really seemed hard up for lack of ammo when they used it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I'll still never understand why people jump on brand new games on launch when, historically speaking, every single game at launch is an unfinished buggy pile of ass that rarely ever lives up to the hype surrounding the game. Hell, there's games like Cyberpunk that are still riddled with massive game-breaking bugs years after release. At this point it feels like people pay full price just to be the first person to give a bad review of how many bugs they're encountering. Have I missed some recent games that launched without issues or is this just the norm?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've started the game again with better performance thanks to AMD's new drivers, and since I wasn't very far in to being with, but that doesn't exactly fix some of the other problems I have with it. For one, the combat definitely isn't the most stellar in a shooter, and you'd think that some 15 years after Bioshock launched that a developer would make it more fun and engaging. The weapons feel punchy enough but so far it isn't super satisfying for me. I'll keep at it for now I guess, but purely because I enjoy the aesthetic and visual design.

The game's grown on me a little bit, to some degree, but I doubt that I'll see it through to the end.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Have I missed some recent games that launched without issues or is this just the norm?

Hi-Fi Rush is a near flawless recent release. I have put in about 15 hours and only encountered 1 nonrepeatable bug.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'll still never understand why people jump on brand new games on launch when, historically speaking, every single game at launch is an unfinished buggy pile of ass that rarely ever lives up to the hype surrounding the game.

Paid beta testers mean less people you need to dish out capital to fix a games that shouldn't be broken to begin with.
But we haven't had a game that didnt require several patches from both gpu drivers and game updates ever since they stopped live service / DRM.

And there are still games like 7 days to die which is still in alpha after god knows how many years, and still getting constant updates.