Atomic Detonation In The US

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
How should the US handle a nuclear detonation in the US.

Please, no political bashing here.

Can we even detect the source of the material used? Who do we hold accountable (the originating source, or the people who detonated the bomb)?

We would have to react in some way to defend our nation, wouldn't we? What do you say?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Why do I get the feeling the U.S. is living through the 50's again.
From the films I've seen you should crawl under your desk and cover your head.

Jun 27, 2005
Where does the bomb go off? Washington DC while congress is in joint session? I say we give the person a medal.

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Orignal Earl
Why do I get the feeling the U.S. is living through the 50's again.
From the films I've seen you should crawl under your desk and cover your head.

"Duck and cover". LOL.

Really. I know there are intellectuals on this board who have some interesting views.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
If the bomb comes from a country like Iran/NK then we nuke Iran/NK if the bomb comes from a country like Russia/China/France etc then we blame Iran/NK and nuke them.

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Originally posted by: smack Down
If the bomb comes from a country like Iran/NK then we nuke Iran/NK if the bomb comes from a country like Russia/China/France etc then we blame Iran/NK and nuke them.

Come on, now. I said no politicing here. That sounds too much like what we would do and not what we should do.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Norad would be able to determine where the strike came from BEFORE it hit, even if it was from Cuba. If it was from outside of the hemisphere, and the missles were not intercepted, the U.S. would have missles in the air before detonation of the foreign missle/s. The foreign country would be destroyed militarily and it's infrastructure would be less than that of a third world nation in less than thirty minutes from the launch of the foreign missle. If it was somehow snuck in and detonated, country "losing" that bomb-grade material would be militarily pulverized.

What is done here is to initially warn the populace, then duck and cover to avoid the blast and initial fallout. Then you need to supply uncontaminated foodstuffs, and instruct the general populace on air cleansing. There are not enough nukes even in Russia to destroy all of the United States to the point of inability to destroy the suspect country.

M.A.D. was the goal with the former Soviets. It is still viable...

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
If a bomb was detonated in D.C and most of our politicians died then I feel the military would take control (Marshall Law) until we could find/elect replacement leaders.

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Originally posted by: maluckey
Norad would be able to determine where the strike came from BEFORE it hit, even if it was from Cuba. If it was from outside of the hemisphere, and the missles were not intercepted, the U.S. would have missles in the air before detonation of the foreign missle/s. The foreign country would be destroyed militarily and it's infrastructure would be less than that of a third world nation in less than thirty minutes from the launch of the foreign missle. If it was somehow snuck in and detonated, country "losing" that bomb-grade material would be militarily pulverized.

What is done here is to initially warn the populace, then duck and cover to avoid the blast and initial fallout. Then you need to supply uncontaminated foodstuffs, and instruct the general populace on air cleansing. There are not enough nukes even in Russia to destroy all of the United States to the point of inability to destroy the suspect country.

M.A.D. was the goal with the former Soviets. It is still viable...

I should have clarified that the weapon would not be delivered via a missile system.

How should we react? What would be the reponse from the rest of the world to our response?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I will be quite honest with you when i say, i think this country will have some internal strife well before we can figure out a response.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: blackllotus
If a bomb was detonated in D.C and most of our politicians died then I feel the military would take control (Marshall Law) until we could find/elect replacement leaders.

Could be... But there is a chain of succession for president and those people are not all allowed to be in the same place at the same time so we'd still have an executive branch.

States have procedures in place to deal with the death of a senator or congressperson. So we wouldn't be lacking for a legislative branch for long. (A place to meet is another story... probably move the capitol to Vegas)

The judicial branch might be another story... at least as far as the SC is concerned. The rest of the system would keep on doing its thing.

State governments would still be functional. Local police and other emergency services would be unaffected.

In a really perverse way, a scenario like this might accomplish what we all want: A weaker federal government, states reasserting their rights...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
America will survive regardless what others try to do to it. You under-estimate the power of average people to deal with huge problems.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: piasabird
America will survive regardless what others try to do to it. You under-estimate the power of average people to deal with huge problems.

I believe you have it backwards. We over-estimate those in power to deal with small problems...

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
If we can determine where the bomb came from, I think the country of origin will be dealt with by the full power of the USA, save Britain or France, maybe India. If we cannot determine where the bomb came from (unlikely), we would probably enact revenge on whoever our biggest enemy is at the time, regardless if they are responsible or not.