Atkins: Is drinking hard liquor for one night during induction?

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
First off, if you have anything negative to say about the diet leave at once. I don't care what ignorant things you have to say.

BACKGROUND INFO:I'm on induction at this point. I tried atkins for about a week a few months ago and I lost will at this point (just about 1 week in). I'm not doing this again, I need to stick with it. My "problem":

REASON FOR ASKING: I'm, of course, not drinking beer at all. It's tough being a college student, but it's even tougher that I'm a pledge at the same time. The fact that my pledge preview coming up in a week doesn't help out at all. Pledge preview is just the biggest exuse for the brothers to get the pledges absolutely rocked and dance in front of(and get bidded on by) 200+ girls. I'm going to be having shot after shot thrown at me but am ready to tell them that I won't be drinking at all. Of course that will come with major dissapointment and minute "anger" from some of them.

MAIN QUESTION: I've been under the impression that all alcohol has carbs in them. Many people have said that hard liquor doesn't have much carbohydrates at all. Could I get away with drinking one night (end of second week) of liquor if I plan my daily diet for that day to incorporate the drinking?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
spirits have less carbs then beer but if you drink a lot of spirits you will take in a lot of carbs.

Hope someone else has more info on specifics but hey man I don't drink much.

Koing

AmerDoux

Dec 4, 2001
Absolutely no alcohol during induction. It's not just the carbs, you are supposed to remove all simple sugars from you system too and alcohol is loaded with sugar.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Alcohol itself has a lot of calories, but no actual "impact carbs". Meaning drinking it will not affect your blood sugar, meaning its ok for Atkins, you won't go out of ketosis by drinking it. So hard liquor is ok as its mostly alcohol. Wine coolers, beer, etc have substantially more carbs though, a lot have added sugar like wine coolers, so you should really avoid those.

However, you still will have a lot of extra energy to burn off from the alcohol though, so while you are still digesting it you won't be burning away any fat.

Found this little chart:
The carb counts given here are effective carb counts, with the fiber removed. All amounts here are for a 1oz shot, except as indicated.

Beer (12oz) - 12.5g
Bourbon - 0g
Brandy - 0g
Gin - 0g
Rum - 0g
Tequila - 0g
Vodka - 0g
Whiskey - 0g
Wine, Red (4oz) - 2.0g
Wine, White (4oz) - 0.9g

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeraden
Alcohol itself has a lot of calories, but no actual "impact carbs". Meaning drinking it will not affect your blood sugar, meaning its ok for Atkins, you won't go out of ketosis by drinking it. So hard liquor is ok as its mostly alcohol. Wine coolers, beer, etc have substantially more carbs though, a lot have added sugar like wine coolers, so you should really avoid those.

However, you still will have a lot of extra energy to burn off from the alcohol though, so while you are still digesting it you won't be burning away any fat.

Found this little chart:
The carb counts given here are effective carb counts, with the fiber removed. All amounts here are for a 1oz shot, except as indicated. You still should not drink it during induction.

Beer (12oz) - 12.5g
Bourbon - 0g
Brandy - 0g
Gin - 0g
Rum - 0g
Tequila - 0g
Vodka - 0g
Whiskey - 0g
Wine, Red (4oz) - 2.0g
Wine, White (4oz) - 0.9g

This is correct. Alcohol is a fuel and your body will use it first if it is available and you will return to ketosis once it is used up.

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Haha. Thanks for the help guys! Chalk another one up to the ATOT boards! Woohoo!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
LoL, its pretty sad when a person is in a situation where they "cant not drink". I joined a normal fun partying fraternity during college and on nights that I didnt want to drink, I didnt drink. Walk around with a can of soda and it will get the message accross. I've never heard of "true" friends forcing anyone to do anything. Or just quit the atkins diet again, cuz you already did the last time around after a whole week.

Point being - stick to your guns. Heres a perfect opportunity for your willpower to shine. Avoid "peer pressure" AND stay on your diet in one swoop.

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: TallBill
LoL, its pretty sad when a person is in a situation where they "cant not drink". I joined a normal fun partying fraternity during college and on nights that I didnt want to drink, I didnt drink. Walk around with a can of soda and it will get the message accross. I've never heard of "true" friends forcing anyone to do anything. Or just quit the atkins diet again, cuz you already did the last time around after a whole week.

Point being - stick to your guns. Heres a perfect opportunity for your willpower to shine. Avoid "peer pressure" AND stay on your diet in one swoop.

In no way am I being forced to drink. There's a wide variety of personality within the fraternity. Included in those personalities are the many that are cool, care about the important aspects of life and what-have-you. Also included are the hard partiers who, while under heavy drinking, will get "mad" about something like that and try to coherce (sp?) you to drink. I mean I'm definately not the only Big Guy who is on a diet. The other guy has had no problems not drinking. This is just supposed to be the BIG event of pledging and tell the girls "Hey! These are the next brothers!"

Anyways, it apparently doesn't matter as much as I feared, which is great news! It's like having my non-carb cake, and eating it, too. :) I definately see myself doing this right this time and look forward to great results. I've already seen a HUGE decrease in my desire for bread, pasta, rice, potatos etc. etc. which pretty much consisted of 75% of my diet before this.

Thanks again for all the help and incouragement everyone!

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I honestly wasn't trying to be negative btw. Good luck on your diet. To many overweight americans. Btw, does TBG stand for the big guy?