Atkins diet ruining Bread market - crisis "bread summit" tommorow

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
The recent fall in bread sales in the US is a direct result of MP3 piracy. People have been illegally swapping copyrighted bread recipes and bread making machine schematics on Kazaa allowing them to make their own bread and build their own making machines without paying proper royalties to the artists and lawyers who design those machines.

Meanwhile Krispy Kreme does quite well...
they just need to make their bread in the shape of a donut, cover it with sugar and fill it with lard and atkinutz and americans will jump all over it. we already have banana nut bread, why not donutbread?

mmmmm donutbread....

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
The recent fall in bread sales in the US is a direct result of MP3 piracy. People have been illegally swapping copyrighted bread recipes and bread making machine schematics on Kazaa allowing them to make their own bread and build their own making machines without paying proper royalties to the artists and lawyers who design those machines.

Meanwhile Krispy Kreme does quite well...
they just need to make their bread in the shape of a donut, cover it with sugar and fill it with lard and atkinutz and americans will jump all over it. we already have banana nut bread, why not donutbread?

mmmmm donutbread....
do not breed

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami

Good one Rei

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The problem is the current nutritional establishment has failed the people. All these nutrition majors, and look at Americans.
Now Atkins is offering an approach.
It's not perfect, but it works. At the very least it makes you think about what you eat. The problem with bread is that it's easy to eat a lot of it. I can sit down and eat half a loaf of bread in one sitting. Not to mention cookies, pizza, etc.
It's easy to eat half a pizza. Meat is less accessible. You have to cook it. So once you cook a portion, if you want more, you have to cook the second one. So there is a barrier to eating more. Bread, you just grab another slice.

Not even close . . . if people followed the OLD food pyramid plus exercised in moderation, ate in moderation, and stopped smoking . . . there would be no need for South Beach, Atkins, Hollywood, or the Watermelon diet. The nutritional establishment didn't fail the people . . . the people failed to eat in moderation and get off their fat arses on a regular basis.

There's nothing special about the Atkins diet except for the fact it sux as a diet (ie a reasonable plan of long term eating habits). Of course anyone that follows Atkins to a "T" can lose weight. But the potential weight loss with Atkins is NOT superior to a myriad of other diets. The only difference is Atkins offered access to the meat bar at Golden Corral.

I for one, think Atkins is effective at weight loss, but not as effective as "being healthy" i.e. preventing cancers and heart disease.
Wow! Something accurate at Anandtech! Dean Ornish's diet (it's ugly very ugly) but has been proven to REVERSE heart/vascular disease. At best Atkins can claim short term improvement in HDL, LDL, and triglycerides but no evidence to date that Atkins adherents have a fraction of the positive health outcomes provided by Ornish.

Cows (or any grazing animal) are not naturally intended to eat grains. They are intended to eat grass. Totally changes their fat composition (omega 3 vs omega 9). Grass/vegtable fed animals are much healthier for you.
My bovine skills are weak but there a very few grasses that have substantial levels of omega-3 fatty acids . . . unless of course your cows are eating flax or borage. Otherwise, substantial omega-3 intake MUST come from fish oil . . . or breastmilk (human boobies concentrate omega-3 fatty acids to a level 10,000x that of serum). You are correct that bovine intake affects micro/macronutrient composition but I doubt most cows ever see "quality grass".

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
The problem is the current nutritional establishment has failed the people. All these nutrition majors, and look at Americans.
Now Atkins is offering an approach.
It's not perfect, but it works. At the very least it makes you think about what you eat. The problem with bread is that it's easy to eat a lot of it. I can sit down and eat half a loaf of bread in one sitting. Not to mention cookies, pizza, etc.
It's easy to eat half a pizza. Meat is less accessible. You have to cook it. So once you cook a portion, if you want more, you have to cook the second one. So there is a barrier to eating more. Bread, you just grab another slice.

Not even close . . . if people followed the OLD food pyramid plus exercised in moderation, ate in moderation, and stopped smoking . . . there would be no need for South Beach, Atkins, Hollywood, or the Watermelon diet. The nutritional establishment didn't fail the people . . . the people failed to eat in moderation and get off their fat arses on a regular basis.

There's nothing special about the Atkins diet except for the fact it sux as a diet (ie a reasonable plan of long term eating habits). Of course anyone that follows Atkins to a "T" can lose weight. But the potential weight loss with Atkins is NOT superior to a myriad of other diets. The only difference is Atkins offered access to the meat bar at Golden Corral.

I for one, think Atkins is effective at weight loss, but not as effective as "being healthy" i.e. preventing cancers and heart disease.
Wow! Something accurate at Anandtech! Dean Ornish's diet (it's ugly very ugly) but has been proven to REVERSE heart/vascular disease. At best Atkins can claim short term improvement in HDL, LDL, and triglycerides but no evidence to date that Atkins adherents have a fraction of the positive health outcomes provided by Ornish.

Cows (or any grazing animal) are not naturally intended to eat grains. They are intended to eat grass. Totally changes their fat composition (omega 3 vs omega 9). Grass/vegtable fed animals are much healthier for you.
My bovine skills are weak but there a very few grasses that have substantial levels of omega-3 fatty acids . . . unless of course your cows are eating flax or borage. Otherwise, substantial omega-3 intake MUST come from fish oil . . . or breastmilk (human boobies concentrate omega-3 fatty acids to a level 10,000x that of serum). You are correct that bovine intake affects micro/macronutrient composition but I doubt most cows ever see "quality grass".

BBD: Not only should you be amazed by an accurate post on AT, but that it came from ME ;)

The grass fed cattle thing (there I was innacurate, thanks for correcting that), yah you can't raise their omega 3 without supplementing it with flax or fish oil (or other vegtables high in O3). But it does reduce their Omega 6/Omega 3 ratio (by reducing the fatty omega 6). i.e. (stolen from mercola,com)

"In 1998 the University of Guelph, in Guelph, Ontario, Canada published their study on the effects of forage versus grain feeding on the fatty acid composition of cattle. Cattle fed grain for 120 days had Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios of 11 to one. Forage fed cattle had Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios of 3.0 to one."

I wonder why cows don't have more heart attacks? ;)

PS Anyone notice the free-range Omega 3 eggs in the sore lately? They are delicious...and beat fish oil :)

PPS BBD, there's quite a bit of research out there starting to show that the Food pyramid, even in it's "old" form still has issues because of the quantity and type of grains suggested. Thoughts? (i.e. Paleolithic Diet, or Mercola's No-Grain diet)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The food pyramid didn't have issues . . . the choices that people made within the tiers were the problem. Bread and pasta are not evil. But the whole wheat/multigrain breads that I favor are dramatically different from the white bread my wife favors. Naturally, love demands I let her have a little bit of the stuff but certainly not a lot. Semolina has a wonderful texture and taste but whole wheat pasta occupies a different nutritional universe.

The food pyramid was certainly NOT perfect but it is far superior to Atkins. The new Atkins advocates increased fiber consumption, supplemental omega-3, and nuts/seeds (as opposed to processed trans fats). These revisions to Atkins were DECADES behind the best nutrition science. Eggs are great food but more than a yolk per day is likely excessive for typical people. I usually have 4-5 eggs with 2 yolks (plus a little milk for fluffiness). Human milk is great food but tastes like . . . (don't ask). Cow milk (skim) is good food. Whole milk is appropriate for no one beyond the age of 8. Cheese is good food but only in moderation. Fruit in general is great but kiwis, apples, and plums (assuming you eat the skin) should be more abundant than bananas. You can eat as many apples and grapes as you like but I wouldn't give the juice to a convicted criminal. Polyunsaturated fats are much better than saturated fat but monounsaturated fats are better than both. Omega6 are good, Omega9 are OK, but Omega3 are best. I know this b/c I was an athlete, health junky, and earned a BS Public Health degree in Nutrition (plus a minor in Biochemistry) before going to medical school. But there's little help for normal people to navigate the food universe.

The government spends token money on delivering a public health message on what to eat and how to eat it. How could that possibly compete with the food industry?