Atkins:2-10-04 Medical report shows he may have died from his own diet, was Fat, Coronary diseased & had Heart Attack

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
2-10-2004 Report: Diet Doctor Atkins Was Obese

NEW YORK - Dr. Robert Atkins, whose popular diet stresses protein-rich meat and cheese over carbohydrates, weighed 258 pounds at his death and had a history of heart disease, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Before his death, he had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing a report by the city medical examiner.

At 258 pounds, the 6-foot-tall Atkins would have qualified as obese...

The diet guru's widow, Veronica Atkins, was outraged that the report had been made public.

"I have been assured by my husband's physicians that my husband's health problems late in life were completely unrelated to his diet or any diet," she told the Journal.

Last month, Veronica Atkins demanded an apology from Mayor Michael Bloomberg after Bloomberg called her late husband "fat."

In April 2002, Atkins issued a statement saying he was recovering from cardiac arrest related to a heart infection he had suffered from "for a few years." He said it was "in no way related to diet."

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
this whole atkins thing is going out of control. go on a lower fat diet and do some exercises damn it. carbs are not evil as they paint it to be.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: cjgallen
Atkins' weight was due to bloating associated with his condition, and he had been much slimmer during most of his life, Trager said.

Yeah, i was going to say, dr. atkins looked like a twig the last time i saw him.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
The Atkins diet is sheer nonsense. Eat FEWER calories, a balanced diet with less fat and lean meat. Guys shoveling down 5 hamburgers at McDonald's is sheer insanity. The American public is totally lost when it comes to food and they are unwilling to exercise. No wonder health care costs are skyrocketing. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

My training partner is the former world powerlifting champion. When all of the guys he was competing against were eating 500 grams of protein a day, or more, he was eating 150 grams of protein and lots of salads, fruits, and fish. He won, they didn't. You are just wasting your money on all that expensive excess protein and many of you guys are eating meat laced with tons of fat, preservatives, chemicals, antibiotics, and steroids.

If you want a good discussion about proper eating habits read the posts of Dr. Larry Weisenthal (Runnswim) on the rec.sport.swimming newsgroups. You'll have to go back two to three years. But don't bother to get them unless you are up for some heavy intellectual lifting. :)

I've seen Atkins on several occasions and he was never thin. Bill Rogers is thin. Atkins always looked overweight to me.

-Robert

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
this whole atkins thing is going out of control. go on a lower fat diet and do some exercises damn it. carbs are not evil as they paint it to be.
Carbs cause flatulence.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
This thread would probably attract a lot more attention in OT where most of the Atkins freaks hang out.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: glugglug
This thread would probably attract a lot more attention in OT where most of the Atkins freaks hang out.
There already is a similar thread in OT.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I don't have a link but his Widow released a Doctor's report that says he was 195 lbs and fit other than a didease that caused the heart condition.

It's all moot anyway since a new Medical Report has come out showing that Chocolate is good for the heart and makes you feel good too unlike the Atkins diet that makes you feel sluggish.

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
I was on the atkins diet for a month and I had more energy than ever. when you're burning fat for fuel if you say eat a pound of bacon for breakfast you have a TON of fuel. All you need~!

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
when all these people have failing kidneys in 10 years theyll realize the diet mebbe wasnt such a great thing.

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
For some people maybe but for me carbohydrates are a poison. I can't digest stuff like potatoes at all.White flour gives me headaches.

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
It's always funny when overweight people lambast Atkins. I say whatever works for you, do it. If you complain about failing kidneys from Atkins, don't forget about failing hearts from high carb balanced diets.

Zephyr

Zoinks

Oct 11, 1999
The Atkins diet is sheer nonsense

Yeah, thats what I thought. Until I lost 50 lbs in 5 months. It still doesn't make any sense to me, but it does work. My cholesterol went down too.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
you can lose 50lbs on any normal diet as long as you stick to it.
that jared fellow lost like 400lbs without going on the atkins diet.

how can atkins retain 60lbs of fluid in 10 days? that's 6lbs of fluid per day, doesn't some machine drain him?

BugsBunny1078

Banned
Jan 11, 2004
Well I just saw his interview with Larry King last night that was taken shortly before he died and the man was not fat by any stretch of the imagination. He may not have had a six pack but he was 72 also!. Atkins also says in his book that a no fat diet will lose weight for you. But like he says people on a no fat diet get a dried shriveled look and they don't get to eat steak.

Sahakiel

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2001
Just wanted to point out that the definition of obesity is based on the ratio of fat vs body weight. You could be 200 lbs and obese or healthy depending on how much of that is fat.

Zephyr106

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
You're STUPID if you take the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine seriously.

just look at the quotes, not what you'd call "rational'
If animals had the right to not be eaten, they wouldn't taste so good stupid

god these peta retards piss me off.

People on low fat diets are un-American liberal soccer moms and lesbians. Real red blooded Americans eat steaks burgers and drink zero carb beer. Dr. Atkins's face should be on the two dollar bill.

Zephyr