ATi Tool stupid question

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Ok, I'm a noob at this overclocking thing and don't want to burn up my new card. In ATi Tool, there's tabs that say "Find max core" "Find max memory". Do I just let it run, and it will stop on its own? Or will I have to watch temps? Where the hell do you find the damned temps anyways? Thanks for the help in advance :)

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Well I had to download the beta version for support for my card. So now I have a temp. Whats the highest temp I should allow? And I still need to know if it will stop on its own if it gets too hot.

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
Just to cover all bases, you should know that overclocking voids the warranty on most cards.

ATITool stops increasing the frequency when the artifacts start to increase. It will actually decrease frequency too if there are artifacts.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
So it's *safe* to just push the tab "Find max core" and let it go then? I'm sorry, i just don't want to burn up cash :(

EDIT: Also, what temp is too hot?

cmrmrc

Jun 27, 2005
temps differ from card to card but for in general dont get higher than 90c on load

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
So it's *safe* to just push the tab "Find max core" and let it go then?

pretty much. if it starts to get a little too hot it'll artifact and ati tool will back off. frankly, heat won't be much of a problem with the x800xt. they aren't the space heaters the 1900 series is.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Actually with the X800XT hitting find max clock on the core will probably hard lock your system once it found its max. Finding the max memory speed actually works and will start to lower its self back down again.