ATI to promote DX11 and tesselation at GDC

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
They just had me all excited about 10.1, and now we are on to 11 already? :laugh:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Well...we won't see any true DX11 until the end of the year (hopefully the new cards aren't delayed too much).

I wonder if say the tesselator from the 4800 cards could still be used in DX11?

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
Well...we won't see any true DX11 until the end of the year (hopefully the new cards aren't delayed too much).

I wonder if say the tesselator from the 4800 cards could still be used in DX11?

From what I've read, current incarnations of ATI's tesselator won't be fully DX11 compatible. But I wouldn't be too surprised to find that they can perform the majority of DX11 tesselator calls.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
They just had me all excited about 10.1, and now we are on to 11 already? :laugh:

Thank you for your insightful and thought provoking post. You've really added to the value of this thread. :thumbsup:

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
I'm actually a little excited about seeing the tesselator making a comeback.
I forget which game(s) TruForm was supported on, but it totally made my 8500 rock (I think).
This post is completely subject to my potentially fuzzy memory while I google up some screenies to double check.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Creig

Thank you for your insightful and thought provoking post. You've really added to the value of this thread. :thumbsup:

Actually, his post had more to do with the thread topic than yours did. Who was less useful?

OT: DX11 is part of Windows 7, yes? I hope it goes smoother than DX10 development. I mean, we'll have the hardware for many moons before the first DX11 game arrives. Just like it happend with DX10 cards. These devs, both hardware and software, need to "sync" up. Too much lag with the software. We always end up waiting and waiting.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

Actually, his post had more to do with the thread topic than yours did. Who was less useful?

OT: DX11 is part of Windows 7, yes? I hope it goes smoother than DX10 development. I mean, we'll have the hardware for many moons before the first DX11 game arrives. Just like it happend with DX10 cards. These devs, both hardware and software, need to "sync" up. Too much lag with the software. We always end up waiting and waiting.

Well I suppose the software people need the hardware before they can write the games.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: WelshBloke

Well I suppose the software people need the hardware before they can write the games.

Couldn't they just write to the DX11 spec from MS? I know the hardware is needed, but...

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu
I'm actually a little excited about seeing the tesselator making a comeback.
I forget which game(s) TruForm was supported on, but it totally made my 8500 rock (I think).
This post is completely subject to my potentially fuzzy memory while I google up some screenies to double check.

I loved Truform. I hope it makes a comeback.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Well, since I was answering a posted question while Ocguy31 popped in just to make his typical anti-ATI comment, I would have to say...

Him.

Creig, let's us knock it off with the off topic chatter, ok?

AmberClad
Video Moderator

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Couldn't they just write to the DX11 spec from MS? I know the hardware is needed, but...

I suppose but that assumes ATI/NV stick to the spec.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Too many cooks stirring the pot, and someones always late to the dinner. heh. NV and ATI seem to have stayed within spec the last few gens, but you're right, you never know.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Does this mean that ATI have DX11 hardware ready (or nearly ready) to show off.

It would be a bit lame not to if your going to hype it up at a conference.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
They probably have working silicon by now. I think that ATI works 3 years ahead. What they are working on right now (one of the teams) might not be slated for release for another 3 years. So, yeah, I think they might have working silicon. Same for NV.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
The way I see it is Next Nextgen consoles will be using DX11 or a variable, so that means a hella lot more DX11 PC games than DX10xxx....The way it is now just blows for PC gamers, there is just no incentive for devs to push the current M.S. DX API....
We are still playing games in an A.P.I. that was developed in 2002 LOL ....

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

Well, since I was answering a posted question while Ocguy31 popped in just to make his typical anti-ATI comment, I would have to say...

Him.

AmberClad
Video Moderator

I haven't been here in months, yet ocguy31 and wreckage are still thread-crapping on anything to do with daamit. Why are they still tolerated? How many proverbial bitch-slappings must we administer to them? After a while your hand starts to hurt. I don't even own an ati-based card anymore and they still piss me off!

back ot: I must say that I'm very excited about dx11, since I just upgraded to a 260 core 216 and all.... :)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: bryanW1995

Him.

AmberClad
Video Moderator

I haven't been here in months, yet ocguy31 and wreckage are still thread-crapping on anything to do with daamit. Why are they still tolerated? How many proverbial bitch-slappings must we administer to them? After a while your hand starts to hurt. I don't even own an ati-based card anymore and they still piss me off!

back ot: I must say that I'm very excited about dx11, since I just upgraded to a 260 core 216 and all.... :)

Huh? My post was on topic. Direct X, remember? I was being told last fall how revolutionary DX10.1 was, knowing all along that MS was pushing up Windows 7/DX11 due to the Vista debacle.

If you want to know why creig is attacking me and getting mod-warned, that is off topic, but you can PM me if you want, or check out PFI.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Huh? My post was on topic. Direct X, remember? I was being told last fall how revolutionary DX10.1 was, knowing all along that MS was pushing up Windows 7/DX11 due to the Vista debacle.

If you want to know why creig is attacking me and getting mod-warned, that is off topic, but you can PM me if you want, or check out PFI.

It could be argued that DX10 as a whole was a complete waste of time. It offered next to nothing, and did not deliver as promised (increased performance doing the same thing as DX9).

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000

I suppose but that assumes ATI/NV stick to the spec.

It's not just that. I'm sure that it takes time for the tools developers use to create games are ready for them to use. There's gotta be a huge learning curve with each revision of DX; it just takes them time to figure out how to use it.

The only games that tend to use the new APIs right away are the ones that are marketing their engine to be licenced by other companies to make more games. Crysis is an example, along with pretty much anything John Carmack has made (Quake, Doom III, etc.).

Most developers want to target the midrange market with their games, and that never includes a cutting-edge version of DirectX.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: SickBeast
The only games that tend to use the new APIs right away are the ones that are marketing their engine to be licenced by other companies to make more games. Crysis is an example, along with pretty much anything John Carmack has made (Quake, Doom III, etc.).

Was the Cryengine ever used in anything but Crysis?

The only engine I can think of that was in widespread use recently was UE3 (for first person shooters anyway).

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

They could, but how are they going to test anything they write without the hardware required to run it?

I suppose they could target the reference rasterizer, but that?s not really suitable for real-time testing, nor will it reveal issues with device drivers.

You also can?t optimize performance for hardware if you?re targeting a software renderer.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: SickBeast

Was the Cryengine ever used in anything but Crysis?

The only engine I can think of that was in widespread use recently was UE3 (for first person shooters anyway).

People probably saw the Cryengine as a failure due to its insane hardware requirements and poor efficiency. Games like COD4 looked nearly as good, but performed much, much better on even midrange hardware.

The Quake engines were all widely used. The same goes for the HL2 engine. Actually, I think original Half-Life engine was used quite a bit also, but then again it might have been built upon one of the Quake engines.