ATI stinks - ok ATI doesnt stink, just a little smelly, but my CD ROM drive did stink (Hi Val) haha

jad

Mar 15, 2001
cant run my Radeon 32 DDR with Win 2K server - crap driver
several games wont run now that I have a Radeon 32 DDR - crap driver
Q3 performance isnt much better than my TnT 2 - crap driver
oh and I'm using the latest drivers off ATI's website with DX8
to sum it all up , ATI = Crap Drivers, no driver updates, and crap support for win 2k

Get an Nvidia card if u want great drivers and OS support.

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
crap drivers in Win2k, probably. No updates, not true. But you should've known that before you bought the card though.

jad

Mar 15, 2001
ATI updates its drivers about as often as snowballs roll out of hell.
You're right tho, I should have done more research before buying the ATI card, wont happen again tho.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Hawk: Well, to someone who only visits the ATI website, the driver updates have been very few and far between. They have only released 1 official driverset since its release last year. That is the only driver they support as well. Not everyone knows of Rage3d and sites that may have the leaked drivers. My guess is a vast majority of users do not know of these sites, so the support would "appear" mediocre at best. They really do need to release some official DX8 drivers.

jad

Mar 15, 2001
the support doesnt appear mediocre, it IS, the drivers from Rage3D are of course "unsupported" by ATI and ATI's dx8 driver is "unsupported" as well, the only ONE driver they support is ancient.

jad

Mar 15, 2001
oh one more thing, i dont want anyone to take my remarks personally, unless of course you work for or represent ATI, then please do take them personally.

Azuth

Feb 13, 2001
LOL!! Is there really any reason to use the "supported" drivers? I don't think I have EVER gotten ANY good support from any computer company. These message boards are 10X better support than you will find from any company.

Having said that, why are you using those crappy drivers? Get the new ones then check your Q3A benchmarks again.

Get your drivers here:
Rage 3D

jad

Mar 15, 2001
you're right, many companies offer crap support, and as long as people let them get away with it, they will continue to do so.
I know I sound like I'm whining, but if i can stop one person from buying an ATI product, OR prod ATI into actually doing something (like updating drivers more than once a year) then I will feel vindicated.
and yes I agree, boards like this are a much better source of info than most companies regarding their OWN products, but I paid ATI 130 bucks, not anandtech, I expect ATI to support their product.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
yes ATI is very unimpressive, poor drivers, poor tools, poor service.
and they ripped me off 50 dollars, 50 dollar rebate i never got........they can sink just like 3DFX:disgust:

BrainSalad

Banned
Mar 3, 2001
I agree that ATI stinks. I wish they would finaly make a decent set of drivers because their cards are one of the best for 2D image which I use alot of. I had to return an ATI card I just bought because it f*cked my system up even in win98! I bought a geforce mx card in place of it and their drivers work perfectly. The only thing about the GF card is that the 2D image sucks!!! You can't win either way. Nvidia's drivers are great but they can't get the 2D image right or you can get an ATI that has great 2D image but is a joke with drivers.
I'm thinking about just saying "screw it" to gaming and simply buying a matrox g450 and have good drivers for win98 and win2k and have excellent 2D image. I rather have human interaction than waste my time playing stupid games in front of a computer anyway!

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
No problems with my ATI VIVO 64 -using 7089 drivers on Win98se-guess im one of the lucky ones.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
the drivers were ok as long as you stay with popular games, as soon as you get to unpopular game or a old one, big problems...My ATI Radeon 32 MB DDr wasn't much

yata

Jun 2, 2000
Have you tried the beta DX8 dll file trick? It brings up your directx performance up to Win98's. It was posted in Rage3d. I tried it and it works very well.

Leon

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 1999
Is this true? I know ATI Win2k drivers suck bad, but it shouldn't be that bad...

p.s. This is from the recent KyroII review on SE...

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
another good ATI Radeon review.....The drivers are improved they say....Sure I have heard that BS before.
These review site make me Laugh sometimes, do they really play games, I mean a whole bunch of different games, not just the big name popular games.

Conclusion
RADEON LE, a cheaper version of the regular RADEON DDR, has turned out pretty competitive. With some minimal improvements introduced (we mean enabled HyperZ in Direct3D and overclocking up to the level of RADEON DDR), the new card keeps up with its elder brother and overtakes its closest rival, GeForce2 MX, in 32bit color mode. ATI's recent drivers have also become notably better.

Finally, RADEON LE is sure to rock the positions of GeForce2 MX in the Low-End sector, unless RADEON LE is a contingent product and ATI gives up manufacturing it in future (even via Chinese manufacturers).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/radeon-le.html

jad

Mar 15, 2001
that reviews a joke, the radeon le is supposed to rock the geforce mx ? the radeon ddr performs half as well as the geforce mx in the benchmarks Leon posted and the hobbled LE is supposed to be a geforce beater ?
yeah right.
I should have known better than to buy this damn Radeon (32 DDR if anyone wants to know).....ATI has an awful rep for putting out drivers, i read one of those reviews and got suckered by the promise of driver updates along the lines of Nvidia.
all i can say to anyone considering an ATI card is do yourself a favor and get an Nvidia, I wish I did.
Here is a list of games I own that wont work with Radeon and current display drivers and DX 8a :
Earth 2150
Total Annihilation
Expendable

if anyone has anymore add them to the list.

TravisBickle

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2000
somehow ATi chips just don't work right. but they can paper over the cracks enough for the 6 games that do the rotation in the reviewing benchmarks ;)

Hamburgerpimp

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
I sold every Nvidia product I've ever owned because of sh1tty 2D performance. ATI is the only company for me that combines 2D quality and 3D performance! Why are they the biggest Vcard company, then? Because, their products are affordable and the average user doesn't run benchmarks from Madonion.com That's just for starters. :)

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
They are the biggest vod card company cause they've had the OEM space for themselves ever since S3 started losing it.

Recently nVidia has stolen a huge chunk of it though, and they are pretty much neck to neck now with nVidia still gaining.

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't know if that picture is accurate (I don't play Quake 3), but it is kind of out of context, just showing the picture with the Radeon getting the lowest score and that's it. It's just like me posting this and saying a hacked Radeon LE kicks the MX any time, any day.

BTW, I ran Win98se and Win2k, no problems with games or anything, and is plenty fast.

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
rickn: who in the world uses "official" drivers man? Aren't people always using leaked Detonator drivers? Same thing. Besides, all drivers released by Nvidia are considered beta and not supported. They tell the users to go to their card manufacturer for "official" drivers.

<< NOTE: These drivers do not carry any warranties nor support services. However, please feel free to give us feedback on your experience with these drivers by recording your comments on the Feedback Form. >>

Taken from nvidia driver page.

Besides, I believe his statement of &quot;no driver updates&quot; isn't as accurate as mine. ;)

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
i'm running the radeon in w2k without a hitch....dunno what is wrong for you.
best card i ever had. I have the AIW btw

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

<< who in the world uses &quot;official&quot; drivers man? Aren't people always using leaked Detonator drivers? Same thing. Besides, all drivers released by Nvidia are considered beta and not supported. They tell the users to go to their card manufacturer for &quot;official&quot; drivers >>

I only use official Nvidia drivers, the reason is simple I`ve never had a problem with them or with any of my games (120+ last count) so why should I update to every beta version?

:)

pidge

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
Hawk,
That is not a good comparison. NVIDIA does not make the video cards. Other companies do so those companies are responsible for offering hardware and software support for their customers. ATI does make their own video cards and sell them to the retail channel and OEM's so they are more responsible for supporting their own products including driver support. I wish Creative Labs wasn't getting out of the video card industry. They always had good customer support, at least from my personal experiences.