ATI software question

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I got my 9700, works fine, it was supposed to be retail from Newegg, but I think its OEM...doesn't matter, its clocked normally. Question though, the CD I got with it(says saphirre on it, thats why i think its OEM), just includes drivers and hydravision....am I supposed to have anything for like DVD playback? I remember that came with my 8500.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I seem to have discovered the problem lol...I looked at my card today, and there is no Rage Theater chip on the 9700. I suppose that would explain the lack of software for driving that chip eh?

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
No, the Rage Theater is only needed for advanced functions, the basic Rage Theater functions are embedded into the core (TV-out), and the DVD assist is a function of the GPU. The lack of the DVD software is piss-poor if you ask me, as every ATI OEM card I've purchased (Newegg too!) ALWAYS came with the ATI DVD player (IIRC, PowerDVD, rather than Cinemaster is the current ATI Player)

MIGhunter

Aug 16, 2002
my retail box came with DVD decoder and a bunch of other utilities.

I got software for DVD, VCD, CD and MOnitor configuration. Goto their webpage and find the drivers and catalyst software.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Hmm so it should have come with the software? I may need to bitch out newegg then, cuz I did pay for a retail card, but there was no difference that I saw so I didn't complain.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Hmm so it should have come with the software?
IMHO, its the ONLY software needed(DVD player) everything else is downloadable off ATI's site (The downloadable DVD player upgrade requires the original CD to install). Since its an OEM Sapphire card, they probably don't include the DVD player, shame on them.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
**This item is NOT REFUNDABLE, exchange for same exact item only!!** New Product! ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB TV/DVI 8X AGP RETAILRADEON? 9700 PRO is the world's fastest* and most advanced graphics board.
Specifications:
GPU: RADEON? 9700 PRO Visual Processing Unit (VPU)
Mem: 128MB DDR memory 256-bit memory
Eight parallel rendering pipelines, Four parallel geometry engines
Bus: AGP 8X support 2GB/sec Bandwidth
Peak Memory Bandwidth 20GB a sec (compare to ti 4600's 10.4gb)
Pixel Fill Rate: 2.6 Gigapixels/Sec
Resolutions: From 640x480 at 200Hz, to 2048x1536 at 85Hz
Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution
2x/4x/6x full scene anti-aliasing modes
Retail Box with cables (see p Model#: RADEON 9700PRO 128 R Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

That is what I paid for. I did get the cables, which probably aren't included with normal OEM, but I got the Saphhire board(doesn't have the big ATI logo on the front), and the Sapphire drivers. And no extra software. Not cool....its clocked the same as retail, so i didn't care before...but if I'm actually missing out on things, that's definitely not cool.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
When the CD installer starts do you see an option for "multimedia software"? Because that's what mine has and that's where the DVD player is installed from.

Cord

Aug 14, 2001
A friend ordered his Connect3D 9700 Pro from the same place as me but a day after I placed my order, and he got a CD with all the multimedia stuff on (DVD Player, Modified Realplayer with support for the new deblocking feature etc). I only got a CD which was burned on a home burner with a printed label stuck on it, with only Drivers and Hydravision on it. If he hadn't ordered his I would never have known I was missing out on all this stuff. We bought our card at the overclockingstore in the UK.

Rob

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
You get what you pay for.

Sapphire cards are cheaper than other brands, so most Sapphire cards don't come with ATI dvd player or PowerDVD on the driver cd.

Newegg clearly states what come with the card in the product description.
Like the Gigabyte - even more expensive than ATI original retail, comes with more software than ATI original retail.

Gigabyte GV-R9700PRO RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU:RADEON? 9700 Visual Processing Unit (VPU
Mem:128MB of double data rate memory(DDR)
Supports the new AGP 8X standard (2.0 GB/sec)
Complete DirectX® 9.0 support for unprecedented realism and sophisticated visual effects.
Supports: SMARTSHADER? 2.0, SMOOTHVISION? 2.0 VIDEOSHADER? FULLSTREAM? Ati's newest Engine Formats
256-bit memory interface
Ports: D-Sub , S-Video , DVI-I
Bundled Software:CyberLink PowerDVD XP, Serious Sam (Game CD) Heavy Metal F.A.K.K.2 (Game CD), Rune (Game CD) Motocross Mania (Game CD) , 4X4 EVO and Oni (in 1 CD, Lite version) Model#: GV-R9700PRO Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping
Detail Specs - Product Link - Chipset Info -See It! (image count 3 ) -Price Alert (N82E16814125107)
Save $4 when you buy this item with Newegg.com Black Aluminum Silver Cut Case Badge
(avg rating out of 5 voters)
$369.00

ASK THE COMMUNITY