ATI Ships 2 Millionth DirectX 11th GPU; Update: Jan 11/2010, Fermi out March 2010

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Most sites are reporting 5800 series in to the tune of 700million. So most were 5700, at least half anyway. Is that a bad thing though? Certainly coudl be a bit surprising given how meh the 5770 was compared to teh 4870.. but what are you gonna do, a company is supposed to sell more low end.

Actually it's surprising how good 5770 turned out to be considering it's not tier1 model - and it's neck-to-neck last-gen top single-chip cards for ~$160...

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Actually it's surprising how good 5770 turned out to be considering it's not tier1 model - and it's neck-to-neck last-gen top single-chip cards for ~$160...
What does that have to do with anything... I am merely surprised people woudl pay more for a 5770 when they could get a 4870 (though probably not any more)...

Why on earth would it matter if it were even the lowest end 5000 card compared to teh highest end last year.. For most of its life it was more expensive than a 4870.. why would it not be valid to compare it to a 4870 for those wishign to buy now (and not those wishing to go back in time to when the 4870 just came out).

:rolleyes:

thinkwhy

Oct 13, 2009
I am merely surprised people woudl pay more for a 5770 when they could get a 4870 (though probably not any more)...

The 5770 is a smaller card with lower PSU requirements. Similar performance with less heat, less noise, and it comes in a package that will fit in most cases (no need to worry about card length). Toss in DX11 + eyefinity and I think the price premium over 4870 pretty reasonable.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Ditto, noise and future usage is a big factor in my purchase decision for a 5770 (granted the $100 promo from paypal tipped the balance). I can always grab a second 5770 to crossfire in the future should prices actually drop, but 4870 is EOL now so that option is virtually gone.
5850 performance is nice, but for my resolution the 5770 can do everything the 5850 can right now and I probably won't notice the lower fps.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
sigh.. I'm not saying it is a bad card... I understand its benefits.. I merely said that I was surprised that it sold so well while the 4870 was an option.. This is not a discussion about the 5770..

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
Ditto, noise and future usage is a big factor in my purchase decision for a 5770 (granted the $100 promo from paypal tipped the balance). I can always grab a second 5770 to crossfire in the future should prices actually drop, but 4870 is EOL now so that option is virtually gone.
5850 performance is nice, but for my resolution the 5770 can do everything the 5850 can right now and I probably won't notice the lower fps.

How does one get this 100 dollar promo?

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
sigh.. I'm not saying it is a bad card... I understand its benefits.. I merely said that I was surprised that it sold so well while the 4870 was an option.. This is not a discussion about the 5770..

....riiiiight....

...so you're saying you know it was a better card yet still don't know why it sold so well...

...?

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
....riiiiight....

...so you're saying you know it was a better card yet still don't know why it sold so well...

...?

FFS.. What planet are you guys from....

I said I understand that it has benefits, in my opinion these benefits do nt outweigh the cons when compared to a 4870 (price and performance). I merely sai dI am surprised that to so many people the benefits did outweigh the cons. I never said it was a bad card.. and I certainly never indicated anyone made a bad purchasing choice..

You folks need to slow down a tad..

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007

Its all about the number in the name of the card :D

The 5770 is a good card though so they that's money well spent

Last edited:

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
FFS.. What planet are you guys from....

I said I understand that it has benefits, in my opinion these benefits do nt outweigh the cons when compared to a 4870 (price and performance). I merely sai dI am surprised that to so many people the benefits did outweigh the cons. I never said it was a bad card.. and I certainly never indicated anyone made a bad purchasing choice..

You folks need to slow down a tad..

:D():)

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I think the shortage of NV cards in general and certainly 4850/70/90 contributed to many people going for ATI's cards. In the context of GTX 260/275 and 4870/90, the performance of the 5770 was disappointing, no doubt. 5750 was even worse since 4870 could be bought for $125 after MIR for 2-3 months before the launch of 5xxx series. However, as has been mentioned in this thread, DX11, eyefinity and lower idle power consumption did play a role.

I still don't view 5850 as a good value card when it sells for $300 considering it isn't much faster than GTX 285 or 4890 OC for that matter, given the price premium over 4890s (which could have been bought for $165-175 after MIR for 1-2 months).

However, now given the shortage of currrent mid-range offerings, the options are mostly limited to budget cards <$100, or ATI 5xxx-series at $125 range and above. As a result, ATI shouldn't see much competition until March at the earliest.

Last edited:

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is ATI hyping DX11 and how they are the only vendor of DX11 parts any different from nVidia hyping PhysX?

And to all other comments like this- the comparison makes things bad for those of us that are into PC gaming, which apparently is close to noone taking part in this thread. For those of you that are just here to cheerlead ATi and that is the only reason you partake in these discussions, them selling tons of console chips is still a sale- just going into a different hand is all.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
And to all other comments like this- the comparison makes things bad for those of us that are into PC gaming, which apparently is close to noone taking part in this thread. For those of you that are just here to cheerlead ATi and that is the only reason you partake in these discussions, them selling tons of console chips is still a sale- just going into a different hand is all.

I hope you're not trying to imply I'm cheerleading for AMD. Cause you didn't bother to quote the rest of my post and only posted one sentence and made it seem like I was cheerleading when taken with your comments. If that's what you're doing, that's the second time you are quoting what I say and using it out of context. My point was pretty neutral and it was that any and all responsible companies should be hyping their accomplishments for business reasons.

You also make it sound like only AMD is bragging about accomplishments because you seem to let nVidia get a free pass for bragging about PhysX. I don't see you complaining about that. Let's face it, nVidia has been bragging about PhysX for the last couple of years and they have only a handful of games that use GPU assisted PhysX. The number of games that make good use of GPU PhysX can be counted on one hand, heck probably on two or three fingers. There's a bunch of other stuff that nVidia brags about as well. And I have zero problems with nVidia doing that because it's part of running their business. Just like I have zero problems with AMD hyping their DX11 sales.

Here in Philadelphia, we have a local "delicacy" called a cheesesteak. Quite frankly, I don't find cheesesteaks to be anything special. Presidential candidates (George Bush, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama) come to Philadelphia, take pictures and eat at Geno's. But Geno's advertises and gets hype. They will continue to hype themselves and the high profile people that come to eat at Geno's because they want to sell their food. They want you to remember them when you're hungry and nearby. And it works because I get people visiting the USA and if they're in town they try out the cheesesteaks. I've assisted more than one person, some who don't speak English, on how to get to Geno's.

By the same token, nVidia and AMD will hype any accomplishments they can however minor because they want to look good to potential customers. I really don't see how you can be critical of AMD without being critical of nVidia for the same reasons. Any company properly run should brag about their accomplishments. It's part of the hype machine that any successful company needs to stay in the minds of their customers and any potential customers.

It's why Apple had a lot of hype when they sold their first millionth iPhone even though Apple probably had less than 1% share of all phones sold that year. It's why Microsoft is hyping their console gaming business even though it has lost billions of dollars and Microsoft is nowhere near recouping the money spent on the Xbox and Xbox 360.

It's also why AMD (and nVidia) itself will hype the number of console GPU's, mobile GPU's, DX11 GPU's sold, etc. AMD not only wants your consumer dollars but this hype helps them to get noticed by OEM's like the aforementioned console makers and laptop vendors and hopefully they land a contract for those machines. It's just business.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
and get your quotes right. Half the time I have no idea who you're quoting. It's freaking easy. If you're multi-quoting, copy the top part so you can click the little arrow and see the original post.

(QUOTE=BenSkywalker;29195253)
I'm right
(/QUOTE)

No I'm right

(QUOTE=BenSkywalker;29195253)
It's red
(/QUOTE)

It's blue

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
yeah

How is someone on here for more than 10 years and not know how to quote?

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
Sometimes I think suffering massive brain trauma may be the best way to really relate to some posters on these forums.

ATi wants to brag about their DX11 market penetration. They hype it everywhere they can and have press releases for rather miniscule sales milestones. By comparison, their outdated DX9 parts continue to dominate the gaming market. The amusing part about this entire situation is that the thing holding ATi seeing rapid deployment of DX11 back is ATi's far, far more popular gaming options.

If you are some drooling idiot fanboy not much. If you are interested in DX11 for what it can offer games, it means a great deal.
Ditto to your posts. :D

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hope you're not trying to imply I'm cheerleading for AMD.

Not sure how you read anything like that. There were several comments that were of the implication that I was somehow talking about a comparison between AMD and nVidia, you were one of them. I was comparing two different market segments of AMD's to illustrate a point about the state of PC gaming.

Half the time I have no idea who you're quoting.

This forum would be a lot better off if people worried more about the content of the post instead of the person that posted it.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Not sure how you read anything like that. There were several comments that were of the implication that I was somehow talking about a comparison between AMD and nVidia, you were one of them. I was comparing two different market segments of AMD's to illustrate a point about the state of PC gaming.

How would I come to that conclusion? First, you quote one sentence of mine. You didn't quote any of the relevant text around it which would show where I'm coming from and how I am actually neutral to the issue. Next you go on about how AMD is trumpeting their success with DX11 and go on about AMD cheerleaders. How else am I suppose to take this?

If your comment was towards a general set of people then make it clear that that is what you're doing. Quoting one sentence from me that can be taken as cheerleading and then making a cheerleading comment misleads other readers. I certainly couldn't read it any other way except that you were directing the comments towards me.

If that was not your intention you need to state what you mean clearly. You also need to learn how to properly quote someone because I feel this is a case of misquoting me to make it seem like I'm saying or doing something I'm not. The link that I had was also a clear case of you misquoting me. And that's not counting the other times you've done it to others.

You're an intelligent person. I can see that from reading many of your comments and how you present your arguments. It is also not the first case of you selectively quoting someone (not just me) and commenting on it. It just weakens your argument and your reputation by pulling this type of stunt. If you made a mistake or said something the wrong way, just admit it. I know I've misstated plenty of stuff and have misread what others wrote.