ATI reduce warranty on most video cards??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Ah....ok guys:

ATi still warrants a 3 year warrantee if the product was purchased prior august 2005. Anything after will just receive only the one year. So for those guys who bought their ATi products (inlcuding me) before the revision, is still having that 3 year gaurantee....WHICH IS STILL GOOD WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
WTF is up with the Nvidia fanboyism? If you bought your Radeon card from MSI or some other place, I bet they still offer the standard warrenty, and not the 1 year warrenty. Just because one maker decides to cut the warrenty short DOES NOT MEAN that all the cards don't have more than 1 year warrenty.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Hacp
WTF is up with the Nvidia fanboyism? If you bought your Radeon card from MSI or some other place, I bet they still offer the standard warrenty, and not the 1 year warrenty. Just because one maker decides to cut the warrenty short DOES NOT MEAN that all the cards don't have more than 1 year warrenty.

I really don't know about the fanboyism also. I tried both ATi and Nvidia, they are good companies. I'm just thinking that they Nvidia fanboys are happy with their e-penis extension :p

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Hopefully, like hard drives, they capitulate after a year and put it back to 3 years. This is another dumb decision from ATI, and it makes it look like they're starting to cut a few corners to save some money...

Looks like third party ATI cards just got better. Does Sapphire offer >1 year on warranty? I think they're on 3 years still...

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Creig
Originally posted by: JBT
wow looks like your right.
Kind of interesting... Nvidia cards from the different manufacters keep getting better and better warrenty' and now ATI it just plain killing theirs...

BFG- Lifetime
eVGA- Lifetime
XFX- double lifetime
crazy...

Yes, but those are third party cards not actually produced by nVidia themselves. So they can offer any warranty they want. The only way you can get a card produced by nVidia is as an OEM. And isn't a standard OEM warranty around 1 year?

Can you buy an nvidia manufactured card directly from nvidia?
EDIT: or do you mean when you purchase one with a Dell system or the like?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Originally posted by: jasonja
Most people don't buy the BBA ATI boards anways... they buy the MSI or PowerColor or whatever partner brands. Many of those companies make both nVidia and ATI products so most of those companies will have the same warranty on their ATI and nVidia boards.

I disagree. I always bought BBA for myself, clients, or friends when purchasing ATI cards because the warranty service there rocked. IMHO, all the more reason to hit up BFG or EVGA at this point...

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Any word on layoff's at ATI yet?

lol, one of the execs was telling me about how this was such a great time to buy some stocks...

ATI will hopefully pick up the slack soon... so maybe next march or so :p

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I have to admit, ATi has me scratching my head really hard these days...:confused:

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
With all the talk of bad yields and delays, makes me think they know they are putting out some sketchy sh^t....I guess maybe they know they shouldn't warranty them for 3 years or all their product will be back in the factory!! hahahahahaha

malG

Jun 2, 2005
ATI 1 year warranty vs NVIDIA lifetime warranty

Don't need a brain to consider which one is much better ;)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Read your warranty. Some "lifetime" warrantys are "product lifetime". That means the warranty lasts as long as the card is being produced.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: malG

Obviously you didn't strain yours too hard. Try reading a few of the posts first next time. It's up to the manufacturer to decide what length warranty to offer. Both nVidia and ATI cards have varied warranty periods depending on who made it.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=30728&category=main

I always did like to buy BBA products. That's the only legal way to get the DVD software for their multimedia suite, and their warranty service was supposed to be top notch. ATI is really making me like them less and less. Everything I've purchased since my TI4600 has been ATI (4 different cards), but my current 7800 GTX may be the first of many nVidia purchases.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Creig
Originally posted by: malG

Obviously you didn't strain yours too hard. Try reading a few of the posts first next time. It's up to the manufacturer to decide what length warranty to offer. Both nVidia and ATI cards have varied warranty periods depending on who made it.

When a company drastically reduces the warranty on it's self branded products, that tells me one of two things:
1. Finances demand cutbacks
2. Anticipation of higher failure rates

Neither bodes well for ATI, a perplexing move in times when confidence in their firm is not high.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: ronnn
Are the nvidia types trolling here yet?

Gee Ronnn, why don't you explain to us how ATI moving from a 3-5 year warranty on on their self branded products to a 1 year warranty on their self branded products is a good thing?

I swear, ATI could send a monkey in a red vest to poop on your dinner table and you'd start a thread, "Great news! ATI has begun a bonus giveaway program for it's loyal customers!" with text "That monkey poop was the best fertilizer I've ever used! Kudos ATI!".

:roll:

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Acting personally insulted about my above post? I don't know the reason Ati is cutting warranties. Could be overclocker's returns are becoming too much or could be a decision to encourage sales through Sapphire and so forth. Also could be that Ati is going bankrupt and none of their cards work worth a sh*t. As I said for me I don't buy based on warranty - though ati does have an excellent reputation in rma support (which is important) as in general computer parts seem to fail quite quickly - or last past the usable lifetime. If a 3 year warranty is important to you, please buy from someone willing to supply one.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Acting personally insulted about my above post? I don't know the reason Ati is cutting warranties. Could be overclocker's returns are becoming too much or could be a decision to encourage sales through Sapphire and so forth. Also could be that Ati is going bankrupt and none of their cards work worth a sh*t. As I said for me I don't buy based on warranty - though ati does have an excellent reputation in rma support (which is important) as in general computer parts seem to fail quite quickly - or last past the usable lifetime. If a 3 year warranty is important to you, please buy from someone willing to supply one.

Not insulted- amused!

I'd think my clever rejoinder would be sufficient evidence of my jocular mood? ;)

Ah well, time to fish.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
lmao rollo

I dunno, I think warranty is somewhat important. It helps hold the value of the card for one. When you upgrade, youll get more for a card that has a lifetime warranty than one with no warranty left. Thats on aspect. I will say, ive never had a video card die on me but, thats not to say it wont happen.

To me, its all about what the company says about itself. It seems like ATI is moving backwards while nvidia companies are moving forwards. I realize ATI has a warranty and sells cards direct and nvidia doesnt, but that still doesnt make a 1 year warranty good.... Ive personaly always preferred nvidia first anyways, so its not a hard pick between an ati with 1-3 years or nvidia with a lifetime warramty. What im suprised about is, companies like Saphire and others are not folling companies like BFG and evga. You would think the compeition would move ATI companies to try and follow their lead. I guess they are not that worried about taking a "possible" hit in sales over it. Thats my 2 cents.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Rollo
Gee Ronnn, why don't you explain to us how ATI moving from a 3-5 year warranty on on their self branded products to a 1 year warranty on their self branded products is a good thing?
Let's compare the ATI warranty with Nvidia's warranty. Oh wait, Nvidia does not even sell any cards directly. They pass the buck completely onto 3rd party manufacturers. Gee, maybe that means they don't have much confidence in their products and don't want to be responsible for warranty issues.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Not insulted- amused!

I'd think my clever rejoinder would be sufficient evidence of my jocular mood? ;)

Ah well, time to fish.

Oh your little trolling expeditions are now clever rejoinders and jocular? Oh well whatever turns your crank.

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Let's compare the ATI warranty with Nvidia's warranty. Oh wait, Nvidia does not even sell any cards directly. They pass the buck completely onto 3rd party manufacturers. Gee, maybe that means they don't have much confidence in their products and don't want to be responsible for warranty issues.

nVidia having a different business model than ATI doesn't have anything to do with this Morph.

I ask you, as I asked Ronnn, in your ATI pimpin' mind, how does ATI drastically cutting the warranty on a product we know taped out at least three times over the course of a calendar year instill confidence in you?

I say it means either:
A. They are falling behind financially

B. They know returns will be high because their testing has told them so, and they want to take the money and run.

You tell me what else it could mean? Do you think they thought their customers were angry about their previously good warranty?

LOL

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002

Not insulted- amused!

Ah well, time to fish.

Oh your little trolling expeditions are now clever rejoinders and jocular? Oh well whatever turns your crank.

Well, modempower "LMAO" and I thought it was funny. You didn't answer the question though did you?

You're sort of like that monkey on "The Family Guy"- he points the finger, but he never really explains why?

;)