ATI Radeon X1050 - Replaceable Fan?

tomhanser

Sep 1, 2008
I have an ATI Radeon x1050 PCI-E card in an older Alienware multimedia machine. The fan makes a lot of noise when the box is booted up, for about 2-3 minutes. I'm sure the fan is going but is this a replaceable fan?

It's had to remove this card due to the way this box is arranged and put together - it's not your typical tower with one screw holding in the card. Very involved. The card is oriented fan-side DOWN, so it's not easy to access it.

If I can't replace the fan I guess I'll have to expect to replace the entire card with...? Nothing too over the top - I don't use this box for gaming but for basic DVR and video playback.

Drivers for both Win XP Media Center and Win 7 would be nice!

Thanks!

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Red - HD5450 or HD4350. If you want to go green, get the G210 (GeForce 210). Whatever's cheapest of those 3 will work fine for you. And those are passive - no noise :) All 3 offer pretty much the same things.

I wouldn't touch an X1050 with a 10ft pole these days. Even if you would want to repair it - just get a new office-level card (one of the listed above) and enjoy driver updates, new features and usually hassle-free experience under the newest OS.

Last edited:

tomhanser

Sep 1, 2008
Thanks! Those two ATI cards and the one GeForce have monster heat sinks - I'm pretty sure that won't fit in this low-profile case.

So I assume this existing card doesn't have a replaceable fan?

Thanks again!

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Thanks! Those two ATI cards and the one GeForce have monster heat sinks - I'm pretty sure that won't fit in this low-profile case.

So I assume this existing card doesn't have a replaceable fan?

Thanks again!

If that is massive... :p

752e1b775485f1f69dd17f9a89c7009f.jpg

As for the fan, no idea. Since you're really low on space, rigging a non-standard fan is out of the question. If you take the card out, clean it and it won't help, you'd need to find the exact same model (maybe a dead one on eBay?) and try to exchange the fan.

However, you can get the above card for roughly $30. I'd just throw the X1050 away and get a new passive card. Saves you a lot of trouble.

EDIT: Here's another pic (this one has HDMI instead of TV Out):

product2_24532.jpg

Last edited: