Ati Radeon mobility 5650 and a multiple monitor setup problem

QuantumBullet

Dec 4, 2011
I have an Ati mobility 5650 GPU in my HP laptop. I normally run one external monitor in extended, but I was trying to set up a second monitor (also extended) and could not get it to work. Catalyst control center seemed to only allow two screens, even though the AMD website says this GPU is capable of eyefinity (up to 6 displays). The laptop has one VGA and one HDMI port, so it seems like this should be possible, but whenever i try it, only two of the three screens i have can be active. The closest I could get was to have both monitors working and the laptop screen turned off.
Any help would be appreciated.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you sure that the MOBILE version of that chip is capable of eyefinity? Or were you reading the specs on the DESKTOP version? Mobile chips are very different than their desktop namesake (even though they might share the same model number). I would be really surprised to hear that a mobile chip was capable of eyefinity. More likely, the mobile version of the chip only has two output controllers, so that's what you're going to get.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Could also be that, even if the mobile GPU could potentially support more than two screens, the motherboard and other circuitry was used to support only two screens at a time.

Does your laptop have a displayport? without that independent timing ability associated with displayport, perhaps the supporting circuitry of the motherboard/gpu cannot generate the three clock signals to drive three displays at the same time, and so must use the available non-displayport clock signals to drive only two displays at a time.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Eyefinity on a mobile chip?

Nope.avi

hmm. dont think you looked hard enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmSf6yFdsn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo5fYItj9fo&feature=related

the 5600 mobility series can do eyefinity, but it depends on the laptop maker to actually enable it with the display outputs. you might be able to shut down the laptop's display and run 2 external monitors, but probably not all 3 at the same time unless it is one of the higher end models.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
The laptop has one VGA and one HDMI port, so it seems like this should be possible, but whenever i try it, only two of the three screens i have can be active. The closest I could get was to have both monitors working and the laptop screen turned off.
You can have at most 2 non-DisplayPort outputs. The laptop panel is probably LVDS, so with VGA and HDMI you can have at most 2 of them.