ATI R9500 driverinstall-trubbel

Powersupply

Oct 19, 2001
Hello!
I'm having a hard time trying to install the catalyst driver to my new Saphire Radeon 9500 128Mb non-pro card (yes, I'll try to make it a 9700 later...). Before I bought this card I had a GeForce2 GTS installed on this system. What I did was:

1. Uninstall Detonator drivers through the controlpanel->ad/remove programs
2. Shut down computer
3. Swith cards from GTS -> 9500
4. Boot into WinXP again

Now Windows XP Pro tried to install the drivers automaticly so I put in the drivers CD from Saphire and it all started well. Th progress bar moved all the way to 100% but after that the screen started to flicker for a sec or two and then windows says that I the installation didn' suceed because it couldn't find a file. Strange cause the progress bar went all the way... Anyway I now tried to install dirvers from the internet but get the same error. Tried like 10 times to install either through windows or the downloaded drivers. File not found at the end AFTER the installation.

And yea, one more thing, I get artifacts in windows but I'm pretty sure this is because of the drivers not working properly since I dont see anything wrong during boot. Refreshrate and framerate in windows is really poor too.

THE QUESTION:

How do I solve this?

Is it the old detonator drivers that wheren't fully uninstalled?

Please help me!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You are probably better off doing a reformat and clean install of OS,that way you will not have any old video card drivers in the registry etc when you go to reinstall them.

Also you can download the latest ATi drivers direct from ATi site,they are probably newer then the version on your CD.

Powersupply

Oct 19, 2001
Hello Again!
I reinstalled XP and the first thing i did was to install the 2.5 Catalyst driver downloaded from ATIs site.
Now I'm getting wierd problems. I get less artifacts on screen now but they are still there. About 15 sec after I boot into windows my mouse pointer dissappear! And when the drivers/ATI controlprogram, for some reason, try to change resolution or something my screen get full of artifacts and everythings hang. Samt thing after 3 cold boots.

Am I the unlycky one who got a DOA radeon 9500?
Or should I try something more/else before I send it back?

/ Pollux

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Could be a bad card( faulty memory),your best bet is go over to Rage3D forums here ,lots of ATi experts there.

Powersupply

Oct 19, 2001
IT (KIND OF) WORKS NOW!
I tested the card on another computer with a MSI motherboard and it works just fine now. No artifacts at all.

Seems like there is some sort of compitability error with the Abit KT7A mobo, which doesn't surprise me since this mobo is well known for it's issues (I got a rev 1.0). Or it could have been that the PSU was better on the other board. But I dont think so.

Anyway, I'll throw my KT7A in the trashcan sometime in the near future.
This was the last problem caused by you... f***ing mobo.

Next I'll try the R9500->9700 SoftMod!
/ PowerSupply

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
All you can do with the Abit is try flashing the Bios to latest version,and install latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers,see if that helps.

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Oi you Powersupply. We`ll have no dissing of the KT7A-RAID Mobos here. I happen to be running on one right now and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
I have revision 1.2
Every revision under 1.3 is suppost to have the cold boot problem with XP processors. Mine dont. It works fine.
Also, I have a 9700PRO, im suppost to have a cold boot problem with that as well, guess what, i dont.
They also OC well for a KT133A Mobo.
Dont just blame your motherboard cos something dont work, sure it might be the problem, but the KT7A baced mobos wernt designed to run next gen products perfectly. I mean, how could they iron out design incompatibilites with a 9500 if the card wasnt released at the time of board designing?

Anyway, before you send it back, try re-formatting your HD, and re-installing windows. I had a few probs from old nvidia stuff on my pc interfearing with the new cards drivers, I decided to re-format/re-install, and everything now works fine.
And dont think that just a re-install of windows will fix it either, cos it dont make one ounce of difference(ive tryed it). Just re-format and get it over with.
Its best to re-format/install every now and then anyway, otherwise windows slowly gets bogged down with old stuff, and acts really sluggishly.

Powersupply

Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomAM
Oi you Powersupply. We`ll have no dissing of the KT7A-RAID Mobos here. I happen to be running on one right now and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
I have revision 1.2
Every revision under 1.3 is suppost to have the cold boot problem with XP processors. Mine dont. It works fine.
Also, I have a 9700PRO, im suppost to have a cold boot problem with that as well, guess what, i dont.

I got a rev 1.0 board and I'm HAVING problems with it. I'm dissing MY board because of that! I'm not saying anything about other KT7A mobos.

Dont just blame your motherboard cos something dont work, sure it might be the problem, but the KT7A baced mobos wernt designed to run next gen products perfectly. I mean, how could they iron out design incompatibilites with a 9500 if the card wasnt released at the time of board designing?

So if I buy a KT400 mobo today I shouldn't expect GeForceFX to work on it?
Funny thing MSI's mobo worked with the (at launching time) yet to be relesed GPU...

Anyway, before you send it back, try re-formatting your HD, and re-installing windows. I had a few probs from old nvidia stuff on my pc interfearing with the new cards drivers, I decided to re-format/re-install, and everything now works fine.
And dont think that just a re-install of windows will fix it either, cos it dont make one ounce of difference(ive tryed it). Just re-format and get it over with.
Its best to re-format/install every now and then anyway, otherwise windows slowly gets bogged down with old stuff, and acts really sluggishly.

I did that. I wiped the drive empty and installed XP.

The Abit KT7A GOT issues, that's a fact. Just because you'r lucky doesn't change it.
/ PowerSupply

Jan 10, 2003
Hello!

I don't know if this gona help, but i drop it here anyway.

I had A LOT of problems with an Abit KT7A mobo som weeks ago. But every single problem just vanished when I installed a beta patch from VIA. I'm terribly sorry, but I can't provide you with the download link since I have lost it :-( I also can't check the name of the patch, neither mail it since I have no access to my HD right now. (I have no mobo right now... I'm stuck with an old laptop for a few more weeks...)
But this patch claims to shut down the RX-55 registry or something like that. And as I said, it solved ALL my problems.

Most certainly You have tested this patch, but if you haven't you should consider trying it. Send me a message and I can mail the patch package later if you're intrested.

Powersupply

Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: slashDevSlashNull
Hello!

I don't know if this gona help, but i drop it here anyway.

I had A LOT of problems with an Abit KT7A mobo som weeks ago. But every single problem just vanished when I installed a beta patch from VIA. I'm terribly sorry, but I can't provide you with the download link since I have lost it :-( I also can't check the name of the patch, neither mail it since I have no access to my HD right now. (I have no mobo right now... I'm stuck with an old laptop for a few more weeks...)
But this patch claims to shut down the RX-55 registry or something like that. And as I said, it solved ALL my problems.

Most certainly You have tested this patch, but if you haven't you should consider trying it. Send me a message and I can mail the patch package later if you're intrested.

I've sent you a private message.

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
The specs and requirements for the GeForceFX card were probably sent to to via months before we knew them, to allow them to change anything that might cause troubles.
Plus, different Mobo maunfacturers make their motherboards in different ways, so the MSI may well be baced on the same chipset as the KT7A, but cos of the differences, the 9500 might work.

Im not here to cause an argument, its just that ive seen all to often people blaming their motherboards just because its the oldest component in their system, when all they need to do is change a BIOS setting or a driver combination. They just end up chucking a perfectly good mobo and wasting money on a new one that they dont nessesseraly need at that time.

Jan 10, 2003
Hello!

I found the patch download link:
(I have also sent it to you, powersupply, in a private message.)

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/Test_driver1.zip

Just remember this is a beta patch. Use it on you own risk :)

Also, if you look at Abits' homepage I think that they dont recommend you to use the latest via 4-i-1... I think Abit recommends 4.38 for KT7A. But I'm not sure, you better check it yourself.
I read somwhere that Via made a major changed the AGP driver not very long ago and it seems like many problems arises on older mobos with this new AGP driver. Again, you have to verify this yourself since I only read it briefly somwhere.

Good luck!
(And wish med good luck, I just ordered an ATI 9100 card to use with a KT7A v1.3 :D )