ATI overtakes nVidia in discrete graphics marketshare

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Now this is great competition, to help keep both players on their toes, neither having too much marketshare than the other.

Some cliffs for those who don't want to click the link:
Discrete graphics market
AMD : 51%
NV: 49%

Overall graphics market (IGPs included)
Intel: 54.3%
AMD : 24.5%
NV: 19.8%

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Wow, this is quite a change. Wasn't it only 6 months ago that nVidia had a large lead over AMD in both discrete and IGP?

I much prefer AMD for IGPs over Intel / nVidia, and their discrete cards are growing on me too. They get a HUGE plus in my book simply for including DisplayPort and HDMI natively on their latest cards.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Wow, how quickly things change.

Now we are concerned if Nvidia survives.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Wow, this is quite a change. Wasn't it only 6 months ago that nVidia had a large lead over AMD in both discrete and IGP?

It just shows how dynamic the graphics market is, which is good for all of us. With a market this dynamic, we know both of those players aren't resting on their laurels. In a way, nVidia will be scrambling to gain back that 10% they lost, and AMD will be scrambling to hold on to it. Works for me.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
It's like nVidia's 8800 era again, but with AMD, but I don't think it will be as dominating as nVidia was on that time though. But it was bond to happen, that's why I love competition! But its quite strange that so many bad stuff is happening to nVidia, the mac thing, the fermi problem at first, lost market share, the Rambus crap, less profits, bad sales of some of their SKU, I think that JHH arrogance is driving down nVidia, he should step down and let fresh blood to drive the company, I hope he doesn't transform to an Hector Ruiz, he's following his steps!!

Last edited:

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Now we need this to translate into lower prices...aren't we lucky!

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I definitely want to see high end parts regularly at < $300 again. I snagged my GTX 285 for something like $270ish, IIRC.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
evolucion8
It's like nVidia's 8800 era again, but with AMD, but I don't think it will be as dominating as nVidia was on that time though. But it was bond to happen, that's why I love competition! But its quite strange that so many bad stuff is happening to nVidia, the mac thing, the fermi problem at first, lost market share, the Rambus crap, less profits, bad sales of some of their SKU, I think that JHH arrogance is driving down nVidia, he should step down and let fresh blood to drive the company, I hope he doesn't transform to an Hector Ruiz, he's following his steps!!

There are only 2 things wrong with Nvidia.

1, with 20/20 hindsight, both the previous and this generation gpus incorporated flawed design decisions. The "mac thing, the fermi problem at first, lost market share, less profits, bad sales of some of their SKU" are all the result of one set of problems. Mistakes made starting years ago.

2, Rambus, which is totally unrelated.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

If ATi/AMD could survive years of losses and still recover, Nvidia can easily do the same. I doubt either company is going to go under any time soon. This is just a small dip in their graph.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
evolucion8

1, with 20/20 hindsight, both the previous and this generation gpus incorporated flawed design decisions. The "mac thing, the fermi problem at first, lost market share, less profits, bad sales of some of their SKU" are all the result of one set of problems. Mistakes made starting years ago.

AFAIK AMD are paying a licence fee to Rambus already anyways so its not like this puts them at a disadvantage it'll just even the playing field.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
evolucion8

First, welcome to the forums, don't worry,. I don't have anything against nVidia since we need competition to improve in technology. Not all is related to one problem, there's also the bump problem which is unrelated to Fermi's decision, also the GTX 2x0 series of cards were great performers even though they didn't generate a lot of profits to nVidia, also matters the fact that AMD is far more competitive now than back then.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If ATi/AMD could survive years of losses and still recover, Nvidia can easily do the same. I doubt either company is going to go under any time soon. This is just a small dip in their graph.

"Easily"? Not necessarily. AMD has lived on the edge for well over a Decade and has a lot of Experience dealing with that Reality. Nvidia has not. Sometimes Organizations simply can not successfully manage such change.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
This should not be a surprise to anyone as Nvidia had only (new) high end solutions available for the last few months and absolutely nothing up-to-date in the performance, mid range, and low end market.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
We'll see what happens when the 460 is accounted for.

Something tells me that will be a great selling card for mid-range OEM systems for some time to come.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
If ATi/AMD could survive years of losses and still recover

Why do you think ATi sold out to AMD?
Not because business was that good, I can tell you.
If ATi had continued as an independent company, they probably would not have survived the HD2900 fiasco.

AMD poured a truckload of money into ATi. They could do that because the CPU market is much larger and more profitable, so it's not that difficult for a CPU company to sustain a GPU company. The other way around would be impossible though.

I doubt either company is going to go under any time soon. This is just a small dip in their graph.

That's what all those other companies said :)
You know, 3DFX, S3, Trident, Matrox, Tseng Labs etc.
Most of these video card companies were pretty big at one time, but they made one mistake, and they were out of the race.

nVidia is not doing that badly yet though. While us guys on forums have been worrying about the fact that nVidia didn't have a good DX11 lineup, lots of people still bought their DX10/10.1 products.
And nVidia seems to be getting the situation under control now. The GTX460 is very promising, and there will be some lower end models next month, which will probably be equally promising.

I think nVidia has the advantage of being the 'Intel' of the GPU world. They're bigger than AMD, and their brand is much stronger. So they'll still have big OEM deals and lots of people buying nVidia just for the brand, even if their product lineup isn't that flashy for a while.

So far AMD seems to have just about caught up in terms of marketshare. But I think this is as far as it will go. GTX460 and its lower end cousins will probably claw back marketshare from now on.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
So far AMD seems to have just about caught up in terms of marketshare. But I think this is as far as it will go. GTX460 and its lower end cousins will probably claw back marketshare from now on.

That depends a lot on how AMD will play the prices (if it has enough volume it should be able to drop the prices as Evergreen is somewhat smaller than GF104) of the current lineup - $300 5850 vs $220 460 is a win for the 460 but if the 5850 is $250 or less it is the other way around (470 are on the way out so lets ignore their clear the inventory prices).

Additionally it depends when SI arrives - according to the rumors it could be out in 2-4 months.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Wow, that was sudden. Interesting how I thought this would have happened sooner with AMD being a generation ahead for half a year.. did not expect that to happen right after Fermi came out!

Now, if AMD can deliver with SI they can improve their position even further and cement it in the market... just like Nvidia after 8800.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Yes, I believe that obviously. They have released their new gen cards and it took nVidia a year and they could not catch up with the GTX480 as ATI's cards are faster as benchmarks tell you. At about the same time they released a dual GPU card which crushes nVidia in every which way even if 480 is SLIed.

God Bless

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Yes, I believe that obviously. They have released their new gen cards and it took nVidia a year and they could not catch up with the GTX480 as ATI's cards are faster as benchmarks tell you. At about the same time they released a dual GPU card which crushes nVidia in every which way even if 480 is SLIed.

God Bless

wat