ATI newest drivers...

daftpunkit

Aug 18, 2005
So I haven't updated my Sapphire ATI 9800PRO 128MB in months, I think 5.6 Catalyst was the latest one. So i updated it the other day and now i get VPU errors all the time. My WoW FPS went from smooth 40-50 consistently to now being 35-40 FPS with drops to < 10FPS then the VPU error comes up all time. Its annoying as hell.

Anyone else having errors since updating their ATI drives within the last month?

I hate rolling back drivers but I guess I'll have to. ATI seems to have messed something up.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Did you completely uninstall the old drivers and run driver cleaner before updating? What are your GPU temperatures like? What is your current system setup (CPU/Motherboard/etc).

The biggest question: Are you overclocking the GPU? (If so set it back to stock speed)

No problems here with the latest drivers.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Which version did you install? I wouldn't be so quick to blame the drivers. I haven't heard of any widespread problems with any recent ATi drivers. Most people are running Cat 5.8 or 5.9 without any trouble.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I haven't heard of any major problems yet. Seems to be a solid driver release. Perhaps it is a user accident, rather than something ATI did ;)

Try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. Set all IQ settings to default and make sure AA and AF are default.

Again, while this could be something, it is more than likely you just forgetting something (NO OFFENSE...it happens to all of us).

-Kevin

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I will third the motion to use drivercleaner - as that ccc seems to be very sensitive. Also make sure that net framework is up to date.

WdnUlik2no

May 5, 2005
VPU errors all the time here too. Im using the 800XL I got ccc 5.10. It seems that this is ATI's latest driver.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
No errors here. However, if recent fixes or features are not requir'd, then you may consider using 4.12 with the the 9xxx cards. Alternatively, simply disable VPU recovery and see if there are actually any crashes.

As said, be sure old drivers are uninstalled (aticimun.exe or DC), avoid CCC in favour of CP and/or ATT. Also update chipset drivers and check dxdiag, smartgart, etc.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
There is a tech support thread on EverQuest II forums about VPU recovers so it is not just a few people.
I have experienced this as well. For EQ2 someone said to lower pixel shader distance to -1, which makes all the lighting ugly but it is playable.

DeMeo

Oct 23, 2003
For PCI-Express:
I've been experiencing VPU errors like crazy and found a note from ATI support that might help some people (if you have an ASUS Motherboard).
Unfortunatley, I have an ASROCK DUal939, and they don't have the fix. I sent them email asking if they are planning to incoprate the fix in a future BIOS.

ATI says that the VPU error problem on ASUS boards has been fixed with a new BIOS that allows users to changes settings in "PEG link mode".
Evidently, the default of "normal" actually overclocks ATI PCI-express cards by nearly 8%. The new BIOS from ASUS allows you to set this mode to a lower setting that is supposed to elimintate the VPU error problem.

mOeeOm

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024
Did you completely uninstall the old drivers and run driver cleaner before updating? What are your GPU temperatures like? What is your current system setup (CPU/Motherboard/etc).

The biggest question: Are you overclocking the GPU? (If so set it back to stock speed)

No problems here with the latest drivers.