ATI Catalyst 9.7 and Nvidia 190.38 Drivers in Windows 7

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Link.

The results of our today?s test session turned out quite predictable: even if the use of Windows 7 instead of Windows Vista did provide a gaming performance increase, it was really minimal in most cases. We didn?t reveal any serious performance worsening as well, which is also quite normal

It'll be interesting to see how much more performance they can get out of Win7 drivers (from both sides) down the road.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Thanks for the link Mem. Interesting reading, the general consensus is that there can be some minor gains to be made by going from Vista to Win7 but they're hardly anything substantial. IMO I think we have yet to see what both camps can do with Windows 7 and I'd expect 6months down the track when Win7 is released when there has been more time on development on the shipping build, that we may see larger gains. For now it's good enough which is good to see and it looks like we will see better drivers this time round than what we did at Vistas release.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
They did use RC build of Win7 however I doubt RTM build would make any major difference if any to the performance charts,however down the road when DX11 arrives it would be interesting to see how DX11 pans out between Win7 and Vista performance wise(since Vista is supposed to be getting DX11 at a later date).

Microsoft did a wise move by letting users try Win7 RC for free ,it has definitely given them positive feedback from most users....I hope DX11 does well too,anyway only time will tell.

For now it's good enough which is good to see and it looks like we will see better drivers this time round than what we did at Vistas release.

Not surprising really since Win7 is based on Vista, so making Win7 drivers is an easier transition,besides they have the backup of Vista drivers too in most cases for Win7.