Ati Catalyst 10.3 Drivers Not Working - no 3d in win7

themodernlife

Mar 24, 2010
I have a sapphire 5970. These drivers were designed specifically to increase performance on 5xxx series cards. I was quite disapointed that the 10.3a and 10.3 release drivers both do not work on this card, and several other ones in the 5xxx series.

From what i have read on the net it appears to only affect windows 7, and not windows xp for some reason. Drivers function until required reboot is performed and then fail after startup.

It does not load any 3d, as if there is no 3d hardware present. Not even the 3d preview in CCC works. Any games with 3d simply crash the second they are attempted to be loaded. I just wanted to express how dissatisfied i am with a driver that claimed to have so many improvements that isn't compatible with the hardware it was designed for. Can anyone help me out? I was really looking forward to the benefits for Bc2 since these new cards have a lot of untapped potential.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
The ATI 10.3 leaked preview drivers work fine for me. I used the leak version sense those seem to perform the best strangely enough.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Do a clean uninstall of the drivers in safe mode, driver cleaner/sweeper, then try reinstalling? Or try re-downloading the driver file. Yours might be corrupted. The drivers are perfectly compatible with the hardware.

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
I recommend you to use this guide to avoid unnecessary problems.
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticle...tallationInstructionforMicrosoftWindows7.aspx
Don't forget to do this before installing the new version.
Close all opened applications, including any live monitoring anti-virus/firewall/remote access/webcam software, before attempting to install the ATI software

And make sure you download the correct driver: (64 bits I guess)
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

themodernlife

Mar 24, 2010
I appreciate your feedback. The drivers are installed correctly. I have found this same issue being posted on other forums by different users. I have sent AMD/ATI a support query, and will post any progress if it helps anyone with the same issue. Thanks

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I have a sapphire 5970. These drivers were designed specifically to increase performance on 5xxx series cards. I was quite disapointed that the 10.3a and 10.3 release drivers both do not work on this card, and several other ones in the 5xxx series.

From what i have read on the net it appears to only affect windows 7, and not windows xp for some reason. Drivers function until required reboot is performed and then fail after startup.

It does not load any 3d, as if there is no 3d hardware present. Not even the 3d preview in CCC works. Any games with 3d simply crash the second they are attempted to be loaded. I just wanted to express how dissatisfied i am with a driver that claimed to have so many improvements that isn't compatible with the hardware it was designed for. Can anyone help me out? I was really looking forward to the benefits for Bc2 since these new cards have a lot of untapped potential.

I never have to reboot when I upgrade my drivers. I just installed 10.3 today and I have Windows 7 ultimate. No problems yet.

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
The drivers are installed correctly. I have found this same issue being posted on other forums by different users.

Anecdotes are little more than worthless, especially from someone with no track record.

For instance, I just replaced a GTS 512 with a 5770 and used the 10.3a betas under Win 7 x64. Drivers installed first time, rebooted and I have been able to game (including BC2) for a few hours.

Does that mean anything other than it worked for me? Of course not. If there's a serious enough problem, I'm sure ATI will pull the drivers - just as nvidia did recently.

Last edited:

themodernlife

Mar 24, 2010
Anecdotes are little more than worthless, especially from someone with no track record.

thanks!

Amd is working with me to solve the issue. So far the process is similar to an RMA process. If anyone would like to see the emails or programs they provide for diagnostics feel free to pm me.

mikivr

Apr 19, 2010
thanks!

Amd is working with me to solve the issue. So far the process is similar to an RMA process. If anyone would like to see the emails or programs they provide for diagnostics feel free to pm me.

I've the same problem with my hd5770 xfx, with 10.3 windows 7 64 bit won't load, hangs at windows logo, with other 10.x i've the message no 3d hardware present.

Last edited: