ATI All in Wonder Radeon 9800 pro boots garbage

Punikin

Sep 21, 2000
Hello All,

I just bought a used ATI AIW Radeon 9800 pro. I just built a computer out of spare parts lying around the house. When I turn on the computer, all I see is colored blocks of garbage. No picture, no beeps, just a black screen with colored rectangular blocks. At first I thought it might be the DVI to VGA converter, but when I put in an old Geforce 4 Ti4200 that has a DVI input to test the converter, the computer boots fine and goes directly into the BIOS. The power is plugged into the Radeon. If it isn't, the monitor won't even register, and the video cards cooling fan won't spin. Do I have a faulty card? My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Asus A7V333 Motherboard Rev. 1.04 BIOS version 1017 (latest)
Enermax EG365P-VE 350 Watt PSU
3 Sticks Samsung PC2700 512mb Ram (about 1.5gb total)
Everything else shouldn't matter because they can be removed.

Geforce works, but not the AIW 9800 Pro. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Punikin

Sep 21, 2000
Here's a link to what the screen looks like at boot. I never even get to see the POST screen. The picture is not mine. I found it on an Abit forums website while trying to search for 9800 pro troubleshooting. It seems like a common problem, and I am not the only one. The screen looks different everytime it boots, but the graphics are of similar nature. Thanks.

http://www.nanobug.plus.com/xt.jpg

fliguy84

Jan 31, 2005
I think your mobo's AGP voltage might be causing this problem. My roomie used to put his 6800 video card into his older bro's old PC with AXP, and when he tried using in his PC again he got the same problem.

Punikin

Sep 21, 2000
Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna have to test the card with another computer to find out if the card is okay. If so, then I might just need to upgrade the mobo and cpu. Maybe an Athlon 64. Thanks.

Punikin

Sep 21, 2000
Please don't say that. I'm hoping that the card is fine. I really want an All in Wonder for the Video stuff, and a decent 3D card to boot, even though my mobo only supports AGP 4X and not 8X. If I go any faster, I need new ram, and it defeats the purpose of building a computer with parts lying around the house.

canalcrab

Feb 10, 2002
I smoked an AIW 9600 with a defective Arctic Silencer and saw a similar thing. Replaced the original cooler and got an rma from ATI; had a replacement within a week.

Good luck...