ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV problem...

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I installed all of the million and one f'ing drivers (why is ATI's driver department so incompetant that they cannot even put a few drivers into one package and have it install in the correct order?!) three times and I still have issues...

1. When I try to run that 'Library' program or whatever, it "Failed to Initialize Program" - wtf?!
2. DVDs only work for a few seconds before locking up. Now, I had issues playing DVDs on my old video card as well, it did similar things. Perhaps it's the DVD? I only have one. :) Perhaps it's the DVD drive? Perhaps there is a known problem with the DVD player? Not too sure, but I'm guessing one of the first two.
3. When I using Remote Control v1.2 the channel and volume controls don't work...wtf?!

I wish this would work...I have to decide whether to keep my LCD (I needed a video card with DVI, a better video card to test DVDs, games, and I wanted to see how the TV looked).

Thanks.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
DVDs work in PIO mode...of course, the video and audio quality suffer.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Figured out the Library issue - the MMC 7.7.0.1noDVD is an update. You need MMC 7.6.0.0noDVD first - only 7.6 has the library, 7.7 does not. WTF is with these ATI drivers/software!?

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Okay, this LCD is going back, it can't play games for crap and this video card is going back too...I can't believe ATI releases cards with drivers and software that don't work properly. My system is just so unstable since installing this POS.

I never thought I'd say this...but maybe I'll get an nVidia card. Perhaps a Ti4200?

How is the 2D on it? :( <sigh> This sucks wang.

Moishe

Feb 27, 2002
Isn't ATi's catalyst drivers a unified approach that will install latest for all cards?
I thought they had one install. I've never heard of anyone having this much trouble...

Any of you ATI 8500 users out there care to respond and help out?
I've heard nothing but good from 8500 users on everything since ATi has had plenty of time to tweak the drivers...

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Isn't ATi's catalyst drivers a unified approach that will install latest for all cards?
True, but the AIW cards also require the WDM drivers, and MMC is a seperate software package, and of course the remote software is also seperate. Not too daunting actually, the best thing to do is got to Rage3d forums and check out the All-In-Wonder, VIVO, and TV Support forum, its all there in detail.

Flashram

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
I just picked up an 8500DV and have everything working great, although it took a few driver installs. I think I finally got the catalyst drivers to install.

About the volume controls, they work, but in weird ways (at least for me). If you are trying to watch a movie or TV full screen it will not work. If you are watching tv in a window and the window has the foucs, it does not work. Make sure you have the "line in" enabled in your sound control panel. I haven't had any problems with the channel controls, they've worked perfectly from the get-go.

Other than a few minor quirks, I'm loving this card. Best TV Tuner I've owned, and I've owned several. The remote is awesome, and it plays every game I've thrown at it no problem.

I haven't tried any dvds, I'll give a few a spin and report back.

Moishe

Feb 27, 2002
Thanks rbv5...
Seems weird not to include those parts in the catalyst driver set.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Moishe
Thanks rbv5...
Seems weird not to include those parts in the catalyst driver set.
That's what I think. I can't imagine it would be very difficult to code something where it detects the card and installs the necessary drivers. Or, even easier, have a driver for each different card with the Catalyst as part of each one. That way users don't have to install the drivers a dozen times before getting everything working properly. Because the ATI drivers prompt you to reboot but ATI says not too and blah blah blah. It's ridiculous and I'm extrememly unimpressed at the moment.

I've been to Rage3d forums and one guy posted how to install the drivers one way, another guy another way...so I've installed the drivers 5 times already. The second way works better it seems.

Things seem to be stable now I think. Although, the DVD still doesn't work, but that is likely the drive or perhaps the DVD. I can play games/audio CDs off of the drive, so it could just be the DVD laser. Who knows.

mykeowl

Sep 25, 2002
Internet Explorer will not work with my ATI AIW raedon8500.
Has anyone experience that problem?

tadwalkarravi2002

Mar 13, 2002
Does the (Digital) TV tuner work with the Dolby Digital audio, e.g. Creative's 5.1 receiver?
My AIW Radeon requires the analog line connected, "after" disconnecting the digital out!
I wish they supported the existing DIN (Digital IN) instead of analog!
I wondor if the digital TV tuner in 8500DV support the DIN audio?

rgds,
/Ravi

Originally posted by: Flashram
I just picked up an 8500DV and have everything working great, although it took a few driver installs. I think I finally got the catalyst drivers to install.

About the volume controls, they work, but in weird ways (at least for me). If you are trying to watch a movie or TV full screen it will not work. If you are watching tv in a window and the window has the foucs, it does not work. Make sure you have the "line in" enabled in your sound control panel. I haven't had any problems with the channel controls, they've worked perfectly from the get-go.

Other than a few minor quirks, I'm loving this card. Best TV Tuner I've owned, and I've owned several. The remote is awesome, and it plays every game I've thrown at it no problem.

I haven't tried any dvds, I'll give a few a spin and report back.