ATI 6970/90 or Nvidia 570/80

scbjmshpv

Mar 16, 2011
I'm building new rig, for now it'll mainly be for gaming for now and some other video encoding (after 2-3 month when school starts) and want to know what will be the best pick for it.

Current specification:
i5 2500
MSI P67A-GD65
8GB DDR3 1600
9600GT (atm need upgread)
64GB SSD
700 watts PSU

for now i'll be playing games on 1080p, but after 4/5 month i will have to get up on 30inch for resolution i'll need for school. i'm not planning on doing eyefinity but would like to keep the option open.

for now i'm using 19inch monitor but will upgrade soon to probably one of the LG TV with IPS panel and will upgrade to 30 inch in near future at time like to have both.

so need advice on good video card and also like to have your opinion on the LG TV as monitor. or go stright with 30in monitor

Thanks
CB

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Both camps have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to gaming and it typically boils down to which games you are playing. I think that you will probably find better software support with video encoding using Nvidia hardware though. All 4 are great cards and you really can't go wrong with any of them. But, if you have the money to spend, the gtx580 is all around the fastest card out.

scbjmshpv

Mar 16, 2011
and considering gaming at 1080p at max, do you think either of these cards will fail when it'll come to FPS and lag, will they be able to put out today's game at least 40-60FPS, i don't do online game anymore, and majority of my collection is one person so will top end card do or it'll be waste of money (as i can get 6970/570 almost half price to their next upgrade) if so i can just upgrade again later on. though i've never upgraded anything, i sold system (at around 3 to 4 year) for entire system upgrade which i find to be much more suitable than putting whole lot of money in one system from the start.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
what do you mean by fail? failure to meet your expectations or equipment failure? Are you planning to play games with Anti-aliasing? That takes alot into consideration.

take your time and research about these video cards and make an informed decision. Both AMD and Nvidia makes great products, and have their strong/weak points. Grab a card that will suit your needs and also save alot of money.

scbjmshpv

Mar 16, 2011
what do you mean by fail? failure to meet your expectations or equipment failure? Are you planning to play games with Anti-aliasing? That takes alot into consideration.

well i mean having around 15-20fps while playing on either 1920x1080 or 2500x1600 resolution.

yes would like to play with anti-aliasing if possible.

also for phyx i just put in any good nvidia card with physx if i've ATI card as main graphic card? never understood nor tried it.