ATI 6870 UVD2 (3?) broken?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
According to this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/8

The ATI HD6870 could only manage to playback a SINGLE H.264 1080P stream, without degradation. I thought that the whole point of UVD2, was that it supported TWO streams, for Blu-Ray Picture-in-picture support. At least, that is how it was marketed.

If it can only support ONE stream, then that support is broken.

What's up with this? I think that this demands further investigation.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Sounds like it could be a driver issue. I'm hoping the GTX560 is good, my 5770 is aging and I'd really like to get back to some better drivers :(

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It specifies high profile in the article. It might be that it can't handle two high profile streams, but can manage multiple streams of other types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H264#Profiles

According to that, High Profile is the standard encoding used by Blu-Ray discs.

"High Profile (HiP)
The primary profile for broadcast and disc storage applications, particularly for high-definition television applications (for example, this is the profile adopted by the Blu-ray Disc storage format and the DVB HDTV broadcast service)."

So does PIP use two HP streams? If so, then UVD2 on the HD6870 has a serious design defect!

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
This is the reason the last several graphics cards I've purchased have been low-mid range GeForce 9xxx and GT 2xx, in spite of my preference for ATI. I had a Radeon HD 3650 and HD 4350 that were glitchy for months when decoding video, locked my computer, over multiple driver releases. It went away somewhere around CAT 10.8 or 10.9 (after dealing with it for over six months). Meanwhile, I also had a GeForce 9500 during the same period that just worked - always. My Dell laptop has an older GeForce 8400 based Quadro NVS part and even it will handle just about any video content thrown at it.

I'm still running the HD 3650 as I type because its working now but I have refused to use ATI/AMD cards in the last several rebuilds that I've done for others. Combined with the AHCI issues on AMD SB chips, and AMD's mediocre CPU product launches over the last two full years (relative to Intel), I feel like I'm back in the VIA days overlooking their flaws and consistently poor drivers out of loyalty, except that I don't have the patience or interest in overlooking anyone's failings, anymore.

Last edited:

shangshang

May 17, 2008
well then seems like uvd2 is broken to me! but honestly I think nobody gives a s* about video stream, because it's a cryptic thing that only true videogeeks know. The gaming boys and the fan boys don't care. So hell uvd2 can be broken for eternity and nobody would care. But good to know nevertheless since I do a lot of video watching myself.