ATI 5xxx series and S-Video

SirRob

Jun 15, 2003
Does anyone know of a way to connect any of the new 5xxx series via S-video? If not, I am a little surprised that it was fazed out before the D-SUB/VGA connection.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i've wasted too much time of my life trying to connect my computer to a TV using Svideo-to-RCA cables that i've just given up and got a TV with a 15-pin connector and never looked back.
(HDMI should work equally good in this case)

RobsTV

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2000
That was an issue holding me back as well.

There are still many great reasons to have svideo or composite video.
I use it to send audio and video single source throughout my home, kitchen, bath, garage and pool area.
Using an RF converter to change the svideo/composite to RF, then simple coax cable through home.
So for example, any TV that is switched to channel 3 will see and hear the programming on the PC.
It also helps when your PC receives all sat programming in HD and SD.

The solution I ended up going with was an old scan converter.
An advantage to this is that the scan converter acts like a monitor to the PC, so you are not limited to normal 4:3 resolutions. This especially helps if you use Clone mode for A/V. You can have main HD TV at 720P or 1080p, and also set second PC monitor to same resolution. Scan converter then corrects this for use with old 4:3 TV that is limited to usually 1024x768.

Last edited: