ATI 4850x2 2 gig memory with Windows XP??

Rich3077

Oct 11, 1999
With XP's memory limit what would happen if I installed a 2x 2 gig memory card with XP?

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
The entire 2GB isn't memory mapped: It's basically a Crossfire setup on one PCB, so each "card" needs roughly half the memory space for coordination with the other "card". Plus not all of the remaining gig is going to be mapped into address space.

IMHO, if you are running 2GB of RAM, you should be OK.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Rich3077
With XP's memory limit what would happen if I installed a 2x 2 gig memory card with XP?

That's a very good question you asked. I've been wondering that myself as I'm on XP also.:)

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Scotteq
The entire 2GB isn't memory mapped: It's basically a Crossfire setup on one PCB, so each "card" needs roughly half the memory space for coordination with the other "card". Plus not all of the remaining gig is going to be mapped into address space.

IMHO, if you are running 2GB of RAM, you should be OK.

Yep, this. The actual aperture size per card will be something like 256MB or so, so depending on what other components you have you should still have ~3GB addressable memory. Shouldn't be a huge issue with just 2 cards, however I do remember a review site specifically state they moved to Vista 64 because their 4-gpu set-up only left 2GB for Windows. :)

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
One of my friends tried XP with 4870x2 + 4GB RAM and XP was able to see 2.6GB RAM.