ATI 4850 TEMPERATURE discussion

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Thanks, I understand. I was just wondering if there were in fact verified "bios code bugs" or if the
table entries *alone* controlling powerplay MHz values and fan control RPM vs temperature settings
were the *only* reason the BBA reference cards from Visiontek, ASUS, et. al. were running hot with slow fan RPMs and using idle speeds of 500MHz vs. 160 MHz.

I thought I'd seen it implied by some that the hot temeperatures and high idle speeds were the
sole problem of a mis-set BIOS control table, though seeing all the talk of using MSI BIOS as a basis
to change the RBE BIOS tables made me wonder if it was confirmed that there were code related
(beyond default table entries) changes that were significant.

I remember hearing that in the case of various 3870 boards, all one had to do to improve the
Powerplay MHz and fan speed selections was to change the table entries in one's stock BIOS with RBE.
I'm not so sure if those are the only needed / beneficial changes for the BBA Visiontek / ASUS / et.al. reference HD4850 boards though.

Originally posted by: taltamir
The RBE changes some common values like voltages or fan speeds, it cannot go in and apply patches to faulty code that prevents features from working.
So no, you can't use it to enable powerplay if it isn't working (a bug, not a disabled feature).

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
mmm, that might be. I am not an expert of RBE so I might be wrong about it, I thought it was a bug that caused it not to go into powerplay mode at all, but it could be that they mistakingly set the powerplay mhz to be the same as the non powerplay.

Anyone knows?

earthsfatez

Mar 12, 2005
another quick question, i just installed the s1 onto my hd4850, Do i need a heatsink for the voltage regulators cause the ones that come with it don't fit

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
i run a game in window mode and use AMD's CCC. i thinked i used gpuz as well before...
I can't wait for riva tuner to support 4850...

markrb38

Nov 19, 2004
How tall if the VF1000 and the VF900 over the top of the card? I can't fit the Accelero S1 in my case.
I have, max, 1.5 inches over the top of the card.
This is going in my HTPC and won't be for games. So I doubt I will ever hit load temps, but I do need quiet so I am still leaning towards the 1000.

Thanks,
Mark

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
a non gaming HTPC? why not use a 3xxx series model with lower cost, heat, and power consumption then?

markrb38

Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: taltamir
a non gaming HTPC? why not use a 3xxx series model with lower cost, heat, and power consumption then?

I wanted HDMI LPCM audio and didn't want to wait any longer for Asus or Azuntech.

If those solutions do turn out better then I move my 8600GT back in and put this card in my main machine, but until then I bought a new receiver and by hook or by crook I am going to get HD audio.

Mark