ATI 4850 Overheating

bizzyd1441

Apr 6, 2008
I bought a VisionTek 4850 a few months ago and have always had somewhat of an overheating problem. I set the fanspeed to 60% when idle and 75% when gaming. Even at 75% the card's temp when playing games like CoD4 and Fallout 3 is upper 70's low 80s. But during the past few days the card keeps going into the mid 80s, and I'm really noticing a drop in framerate (15-20 when playing Fallout 3). I have the stock hsf on the card, but besides getting an aftermarket cooler I don't know how to lower the temps. My processor temps are upper 30s at idle and mid 50s when under stress, and I have an aftermarket cooler and arctic silver applied. I think the processors are fine though temp wise. I'm not sure what else to do though.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Mine runs super hot as well. I was an early adopter and got a reference model. The fan is noisy as all hell and at 50% in heavy graphics games it will easily reach 100C. I run it at 80% fan speed for games and it keeps it about 75-80C. Its noisy as hell though. Desktop application I run 40-50% fan speed and temps remain about 70-75C.

I am looking at buying an accelero twin turbo. I have been putting the decision off for too long now waiting for them to show up at in main stream US retailers like newegg which they have not yet.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Your temps are normal within operating range. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are getting crashes.

I noticed that with Nvidia cards I don't want anything over 80C and nothing over 75C when overclocking or else it will crash. With ATI cards I've had them run at 95C without an issue and under 90C when overclocking.

I don't know what to tell you about your fallout performance degrading. It's rather a buggy game.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Are you sure the fan speeds are setting correctly? Is it quite noisy?

I also had a very hot running 4850 (a Diamond brand card), but this was because the fan was running at 5 to 9% the entire time; it was heating up to 80C at load.

When I had the fan cranked to 75%, the card was fairly noisy (it was running at just under 7000rpm according to GPU-z), but temps were WAY better: 40C idle, 55C load).

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024
Are you sure the fan speeds are setting correctly? Is it quite noisy?

I also had a very hot running 4850 (a Diamond brand card), but this was because the fan was running at 5 to 9% the entire time; it was heating up to 80C at load.

When I had the fan cranked to 75%, the card was fairly noisy (it was running at just under 7000rpm according to GPU-z), but temps were WAY better: 40C idle, 55C load).

40/55 with a stock cooler? Most aftermarket coolers have a had time hitting those temps in real world tests. Mine won't hit 55C at idle even at 75% fan speed. I don't think I have been able to get my Asus 4850 under 60C unless the ambient room temp was really cold, like when 15C ambient temp when I first get home on a cold day. My 4850 has no problems running at 100C though, I just don't feel safe with it that hot of course. Even if it's not artifacting or crashing, it can't be good for the longevity of the card.

imported_Salamander

Oct 21, 2006
I have a Visiontek 4850 which idles at 58 degrees Celius - stock cooler, fan speed at 35% using CCC. At the default fan speed the temp is 79 degrees celius at idle.

I read on another forum where someone removed the factory thermal goop, replaced it with A.S. Ceramique, and their idle temp dropped from 79 degrees celius to 55 degrees celsius. As anyone tried this?

Adam8281

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Hmmm, fallout 3 is doing fine for me, no OC or alternative cooling, and I just have the fan on default settings. I did have overheating problems with Dead Space, though. Had to manually set the fan on 80% to play crash-free.