ATI 4830 560 or 640 Shaders Possible

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
The below news was from Hardware Canucks.

Some of you may know (but only a few of you may actually care) that today marks the release of ATI's HD 4830 which is supposed to compete directly with the 9800 GT errrr.... 8800 GT 512MB.

Unfortuantely, the folks over at Techpowerup have learned that there seems to have been a serious problem with the review samples ATI sent out to numerous review sites. Basically, it seems that somewhere wires were crossed and cards have been shipping with 560 Shaders versus the specified 640.

The odd thing is that some cards have the nominal 640 shaders while others are gimped. This results in an approximate 10% performance difference between the two cards and unfortunately puts some serious questions behind all of the HD 4830 reviews that have been posted. Were the reviewers using the "proper" card with 640 shaders or the one with the incorrect shader count? In this Hardware Canucks stands behind Techpowerup in asking that all review sites publish which card they used for their benchmarks.

Even more unfortunately, this casts some serious doubt upon the cards currently making their way to the retail channels. The consumer has NO WAY of knowing if or how many 560 shader equipped cards made it to ATI's board partners. This means that any number of HD 4830s could be underperforming without the customer realizing it.

Will this mean a recall of the cards? If not, will ATI release a statement? One way or another, this little slip-up puts some serious doubt upon the launch of this card. Hopefully, the launch will be trouble free after this speedbump but until things are put to bed with this situation...buyer beware.

Unfortunately, UPS still has posession of our card so we can't verify this for ourselves. Long story folks, don't ask...

You can find all of W1zzard's investigation HERE and I encourage all of you to read through it. That is what good journalism is all about folks!!

Stay tuned for additional updates.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Well that should really hurt the sales for ATI, if it comes out true. ATI should recall the "bad" cards, or else nobody will ever buy an 4830.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Warren21
No, all retail HD 4830s will come with 640 (8/10 SIMD clusters) shaders enabled. The 560 shader cards are an earlier revision; the number was increased as a last minute pre-launch decision. Some reviewers got these older cards by 'accident', they had already shipped review cards out before the change was made.

Source:

"Also, we were expecting to see 560 stream processors, but AMD made a last minute decision to enable an additional cluster. The fact that some samples sent out to reviewers had just 560 stream processors proves the decision was made just prior to launch. Fudo informed us about the change of plans a few days ago, and Wizzard also confirmed our report on techPowerUp. He got one of the crippled cards and had some fun with it, but don't worry, the cards with 560 will not find their way to the channel"

http://www.fudzilla.com/index....view&id=10116&Itemid=1

There's already another thread on this, which is where I got that from.
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=31&threadid=2240512

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Crap....Surprised why I missed it...Merge or lock the thread if required.

@error. I think the bad cards are only from ATI. Distributors such as Sapphire and Powercolor don't seem to be part of this missing shader problem.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
so wait, did the one anandtech get have 7 SIMD units or 8? i would really like to know lol. if they got a 7 SIMD card then that would mean it is as fast as a 9800GTX with the retail version (given the benchmarks seen +10%) if not filling the gap between the 9800GTX and the GTX260 in some tests (quake wars)