Athlon vs. Duron

Vampire

Nov 11, 2000
I haven't been able to find any comparisons, perhaps I haven't searched deeply enough. I was wondering how the performance of a Duron processor compares to a Slot-A Athlon, at the same clock speed.

I currently have a 650MHz Athlon, and will be building another computer soon. Because of cost I'll probably go with a Duron. How would a 600MHz Duron compare to my present system, assuming all other components are similar between the 2? OCing is not an option at the present, but may be in the near future. I'm just trying to put a box together so the wife and I can play Diablo 2 together.

Opinions/facts?

SilverBack

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
The Duron does extremely well. It will also overclock easier to.
The Duron falls behind the TBird by 7 to 10%.
In comparing the Duron to the Slot A Athlon, the Duron clock for clock is slightly slower.

buildingacomputer

Oct 24, 2000
I am not an overclocking buff. But why would you not want to overclock Duron? A motherboard with multiplier/CPU voltage adjustment does not cost any more than the ones without. I paid $102 for Epox 8KTA+. I was able to raise Duron by 200 MHz so easy. I know I can raise it further with higher CPU voltage. But 600@800 was my pre-purchase goal and have no plan to spend time for higher speed. I have not heard anyone not getting 600@800.

Just a thought.

Vampire

Nov 11, 2000
Thanks all for the advice. The hesitation on my part to overclock right away revolves around cooling issues and the fragility of the chip. I'd rather use it "stock" for a while and get my $47-worth before I muck it up putting a large HSF on it. I was also worried about having to buy "good" memory, but if I just mess with the multiplier that isn't an issue.

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
A Duron should be just fine with stock cooling at 1.7V or so running about 800Mhz.

I wouldn't push it past 1.7 or 800-850Mhz with small heatsinks tho

Eric

IaPuP

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2000
That doesn't compare "athlon classic" vs Duron.

Its TBird vs Duron.

Eric

Vampire

Nov 11, 2000
Eric is correct. Although it doesn't come right out and say it, the "Athlon with performance enhancing cache" means it's a T-bird.

Again, I appreciate the input from everyone. Looks like I'll find a MB that will allow multiplier adjustments and a 600 MHz Duron.

Gerry

BadBrad

Aug 30, 2000
Vampire...
I put together a new system based around the Epox EP-8KTA+ with a 600 Duron (retail) installed. I have been able to overclock it to 900 Mhz easily. I say easily because the Vcore = 1.70vdc. This is the upper limit of the operating voltage range as specified in "AMD Duron Processor Data Sheet", Doc No. 23802. BTW, I'm using the stock HSF that came with the processor and max CPU temp = 37 DegC. From everything I've read, the Duron is roughly equivalent to the Classic Athlon, clock for clock. This is because the cores are identical with the larger cache of the Classic running at a fraction of the CPU speed. While the smaller cache of the Duron running equal to the CPU speed. Tests have shown that you get anywhere between 30% to 35% increase in performance between a 600 and a 900 Duron using Content Creation Winstone as a measurement tool. That's why it seems obvious to me that most AMD builders should opt for the overclock option.