athlon/power supply shutoff? please help!

jaroque

Aug 21, 2000
i have an athlon 650 (not overclocked anymore) and an enermax 450w power supply with an asus k7m motherboard. ever since i put this new power supply in, the computer would just shut off every so often by itself. i do hafta admit, the mobo temperature gets pretty high (107 degrees F). i dunno if the thing is overheating or what, but please help! much thanks.

GATech college boy trying to do computer science

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
The K7M is the mobo from hell as far as Power Supplies are concerned. In their wisdom ASUS chose to pull all the power from the +5v line. They don't use the +3.3 at all. Secondly, the version of this board with sound, creates excessive noise on the +5sby line and a good ps will shut down when seeing this.

FarENheiT

Oct 9, 2000
Is that powersupply listed on the AMD recommended hardware page? I have an athlon 600 (.25 micron) overclocked to 750 on my K7M. But I'm running it in an Antec case with the Antec PP303X 300w powersupply. My motherboard temp reads usually around 80-87 degrees F. Mine doesnt shut down like that. Do you have adequate cooling? Also do you have that thermistor that connects to the motherboard? I would get that. Then you can hook it up to the back of the CPU and see its temp. Mine idles at 112-114 degrees F, then gets to 120 after fragging away in Quake3 or counterstrike...

I have the version with the onboard audio (DISABLED of course) and I dont have any noise problems like DaddyG said....

I found that antec powersupply on their site http://www.antec-inc.com, but its $50 for the 300w version. You'd almost be better off buying their KS282 case (what I have) or their new SX(whatever) case. They're phat!

Outlaw

Oct 12, 1999
up the voltage to 1.8v and see what happens.

The higher voltages tend to stabilize the systems with this issue.

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
different rig, but I had a new 300W power supply die after a couple of weeks. It just began powering off a few minutes after turning it on, and with no obvious cause. Had it replaced and all is well now... 107F is really hot for a moherboard temp, you definitely need better cooling. If you leave the side off the case for a while, that should cool the m/b off and you can see if it's your motherboard temp causing it...

jaroque

Aug 21, 2000
i have my audio disabled too. =)

surprisingly, 107 is with the side off and a 80mm fan blowing straight on the processor.

i think i'll try that voltage thing...but doesn't that make the temperature go up? :)