Athlon Power Supply Question

TonyZ

Feb 21, 2000
Hey guys,

Just wanting a little reassurance, I just upgraded my system from an Intel setup to a 1.1Ghz AMD system and have had some flakey problems like the system most of the time when cold booting it'll reboot itself when W98 is about to get to the desktop but then the second time it gets into windows fine. I'd posted about this over on hardocp's forum and I got the impression that the PS was to blame (Premier 300W). So today I purchased a 431W Enermax PS. I've seen a few posts about the Enermax and they've been positive, but its not on AMD's list of approved ps's. I'd actually ordered a 425W supply from PC Power & Cooling, but then felt almost nauseated because of the price ($179.00 + shipping) and cancelled the order and then ordered the Enermax (93.00 + shipping). Did I make the right choice. Ayone out there using this ps with a 1.1Ghz system with no glitches?

-Tony

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
The 450W Enermax(and 275W Enermax) are on AMD"s approved list, up to 1ghz. I wouldn't worry too much if I were in your shoes. AMD probably hasnt' gotten around to testing every single enermax yet, but from user input, the 350(330W) works fine, so yours should too.

The PCPowerCooling unit is probably a quality unit, but you'll get better case cooling with the Enermax. And the enermax is also an excellent unit, so quality won't be an issue.

Mike

GD695372

Oct 24, 2000
I've been using an Enermax(275w) with a Dual P2-300 for awhile, soo I don't think you'll have any problems. Especially considering that my P2's are Klamaths, and I'm running some pretty power-intensive stuff otherwise.

moolman

Apr 21, 2000
I have the enermax 350, it plenty of juice, your 300 was good enough too. I also have a 1.1gig but for me my problem is that when I cold boot, no video signal and I reset computer starts fine, I was told its a geforce and abit issue, only happens once in awhile, not that bothersome at all so its cool.

Alex