Athlon FX

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
did AMD really expect to sell alot of the 940-pin models? or were they like "eh.. we have the technology out now, we'll just throw it out there and see what happens until we get unregistered DDR support"?

if the 939-pin model will be available in 6 months (correct me if i'm wrong) who would buy such an expensive chip?

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
Im sure lots of ppl are willing to spend almost* a grand (* - Edited for Duvie's liking :p) on a new chip if it looks as good as the Athlon 64/FX's do. If I had the money, I wouldnt even blink over buying it

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
That is a good question. I would think it may be more of a showcase of the chip and theny really intended to sell as many but move into the newer pin chip...As far as I know the FX is pretty much a paper launch like the p4ee...the real and only chip to buy is the athlon 64 3200+...Correct me if I am wrong....

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Vegetto
Im sure lots of ppl are willing to spend half a grand on a new chip if it looks as good as the Athlon 64/FX's do. If I had the money, I wouldnt even blink over buying it

Hmmm...I think the FX is more on the line of 700 and the athlon 64 is in range of 500 or less.....

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Duvie
Originally posted by: Vegetto
Im sure lots of ppl are willing to spend half a grand on a new chip if it looks as good as the Athlon 64/FX's do. If I had the money, I wouldnt even blink over buying it

Hmmm...I think the FX is more on the line of 700 and the athlon 64 is in range of 500 or less.....

:p

You know what I mean... I edited my post just to satisfy you

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
They have the chips sittin there...why wouldn't they create an uber-expensive chip for rich rolks? I'm sure they'll sell enough of them.

MrEgo

Jan 17, 2003
gameVe has the FX for sale for $762 US, and the regular Athlon 64 OEM for $445. So i guess you can say the FX isn't a paper launch.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
That is a good question. I would think it may be more of a showcase of the chip and theny really intended to sell as many but move into the newer pin chip...As far as I know the FX is pretty much a paper launch like the p4ee...the real and only chip to buy is the athlon 64 3200+...Correct me if I am wrong....

New Egg has them in stock. But I don't see any P4 EE there...... :p

DeeTees

Jan 3, 2002
The FX has one thing going for it. It has three hyper-thread pipelines. It can be used in multi processor computers. When they release the 939 it will be reduced to a single hyper thread pipe line just like the 64 to keep the very high end Opteron as the server chip.

Does the current 940 FX have value, yes.

Is it worth it? That is an individual call.

chsh1ca

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: DeeTees
The FX has one thing going for it. It has three hyper-thread pipelines. It can be used in multi processor computers. When they release the 939 it will be reduced to a single hyper thread pipe line just like the 64 to keep the very high end Opteron as the server chip.

No, that's not it at all. You are confusing Intel's HyperThreading with AMD's HyperTransport. The HyperTransport links merely determine if the chip can be put into a multiprocessor configuration or not.

cow123

Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by: chsh1ca

No, that's not it at all. You are confusing Intel's HyperThreading with AMD's HyperTransport. The HyperTransport links merely determine if the chip can be put into a multiprocessor configuration or not.

he didn't come across as confusing the 2 to me..

Originally posted by: DivideBYZero

Here we go....
rolleye.gif

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MrEgo
did AMD really expect to sell alot of the 940-pin models? or were they like "eh.. we have the technology out now, we'll just throw it out there and see what happens until we get unregistered DDR support"?

if the 939-pin model will be available in 6 months (correct me if i'm wrong) who would buy such an expensive chip?
I think it is a combination of several factors:
1) AMD knew the Athlon FX would perform better and wanted a spectacular opening (where is that 3400+ we were promised on release?).
2) AMD needs to sell more Opterons to get up the economies of scale, and remarking them as Athlons helps that (you sell more with very little investment).
3) AMD needs to start being profitable and introducing high-end parts at high-end prices will do that.

However AMD isn't stupid, they knew it would be a low seller. If The Inquirer wasn't down now I'd give you a link to an article with AMDs estimates of chip sales. They planned 10,000 Athlon FXs for the whole quarter and just 25,000 for all of 2003. That is just a tiny fraction of their projected sales of the Athlon 64 and the Athlon XPs.

Link working now

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Athlon 64/AthlonFX = Amd rushing products out the door.

Athlon 64 - No DualDDR (Does it really save them $$$$ not to implement this?:D)

Athlon FX - Registered DDR/Different socket that makes it DOA for the future

Imagine if both of these chips used the same socket, the FX using standard DDR and the A64 had DC-DDR implemented (wouldn't the world be great?). The idea of each chip (opteron/FX/A64) requiring ITW OWN platform is lame.

BUt from the success of the FX doing 2.8GHZ on prometia, I'm thinking about jumping the Athlon 64 boat with a Koolance Exos setup.:D Now I just need a good overclocking board to go with it.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: gorillaman

Here we go....
rolleye.gif

Yea I looked for the P4EE too, everywhere for that matter. One vendor told me to check back at

CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :D

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

Here we go....
rolleye.gif

*turns on Gorillaman simulator*

WHAT WHAT! Can't take it that the P4EE isn't out yet? You just can't handle the fact that the A64 pwnzors it all of the time, in everything. Its like the best. Especially when its OCED! OMG

*turns off Gorillaman simulator*

Originally posted by: Excelsior

Here we go....
rolleye.gif

WHAT WHAT! Can't take it that the P4EE isn't out yet? You just can't handle the fact that the A64 pwnzors it all of the time, in everything. Its like the best. Especially when its OCED! OMG

Ummm, what? Can't take what? I'm not the one who cares if its out or not yet. You are. You are very glad that its not out yet. I am doing just peachy with my P42.8 thanks for asking. And I don't have any intention of buying the P4EE when it does come out. Dont need it. My rig is fast enough by far.

What are you anyway? twelve?

Get the proverbial grip brudda....

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Excelsior

Here we go....
rolleye.gif

Ummm, what? Can't take what? I'm not the one who cares if its out or not yet. You are. You are very glad that its not out yet. I am doing just peachy with my P42.8 thanks for asking. And I don't have any intention of buying the P4EE when it does come out. Dont need it. My rig is fast enough by far.

What are you anyway? twelve?

Get the proverbial grip brudda....

Can't understand sarcasm can you? Why the hell would I care when the P4ee is out, you're the one arguing it is better than the A64. Boy, I am glad to know you are doing just fine with your p4 2.8, but I never asked. Never said you had the intention, but judging from your other ignorant posts, you seem to think it is the pimp daddy. Again..woo, thats super..lets see..did I ever ask how fast your "rig" is, or care? No.

Thats right, I am 12. Yeah..whatever you wan't me to be. If me being 12 makes you feel better, since there is no way I could be older than you, that just wouldn't make since, then fine by me.

Here is a tip for you, if you don't want me to reply to your posts like this, show your intelligence beforehand in your other posts. You didn't.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: cow123
Originally posted by: chsh1ca

he didn't come across as confusing the 2 to me..

He used the wrong term although he had the right idea... Hyper Threading is not the same as Hyper Transport.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
yeah it sucks that they aren't all supporting dual channel mem operation out the the box
the fact that they will release yet another pin config is kinda lame too

this release went much different than I thought it would

I won't buy till like halfway or at the end of next year