Atheists sue N.J. school over ‘under God’ in Pledge of Allegiance

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 6, 2007
Children shouldn't be indoctrinated in any religious bullshit or lack thereof.

Children should be kept in a lightless vault 300 meters underground until they reach 18 years of age and are free to learn things without it being referred to as "indoctrination." Because how are you honestly supposed to educate anyone without "indoctrinating" them? "Our Constitution is one of the reasons America is a great country." INDOCTRINATION!

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
“If you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religions are simply wrong all through. If you are an atheist you do have to believe that the main point in all the religions of the whole world is simply one huge mistake.” - CS Lewis

Atheism is much less tolerant than they like to believe.

If you are religious you generally believe, with some religions having it as a major tenant, that everyone who doesn't believe in your brand of koolaid is wrong. Often to the point that they believe all people who don't believe in their brand of Koolaid are doomed to eternal damnation.

As an atheist myself, I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you and fight for your right to drink whatever flavor koolaid you so desire. At the same time, the .gov should not be pushing either religion or lack thereof.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It may have been a reason but it wasn't the only one. The majority of Americans have always been Christian and we do well to honor God by recognizing his authority and bounty.

Those who think otherwise are free to, but the majority rules here.

American Christianity, FOREVER.

:)

If you truly believed that to be true, then a completely neutral Pledge wouldn't matter. The reason is that the "Majority" would be recognizing the authority and honouring God every Saturday/Sunday/Wednesday.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
If you are religious you generally believe, with some religions having it as a major tenant, that everyone who doesn't believe in your brand of koolaid is wrong. Often to the point that they believe all people who don't believe in their brand of Koolaid are doomed to eternal damnation.

As an atheist myself, I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you and fight for your right to drink whatever flavor koolaid you so desire. At the same time, the .gov should not be pushing either religion or lack thereof.

I totally agree as well that the government should not push religion. What constitutes that is where we will defer. I don't believe retroactively going back and eliminating the elements left over from the start of this Christian nation should be pursued for example. I love the fact that many of our forefathers reverenced the God of Christianity and appealed to Him during our earliest years as a nation. Christianity and therefore God are a part of where this nation comes from and I'd like to see those evidences preserved.

Edit: I'm guessing the people who fight the 'under God' in the pledge vehemently want to erase that history.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I totally agree as well that the government should not push religion. What constitutes that is where we will defer. I don't believe retroactively going back and eliminating the elements left over from the start of this Christian nation should be pursued for example. I love the fact that many of our forefathers reverenced the God of Christianity and appealed to Him during our earliest years as a nation. Christianity and therefore God are a part of where this nation comes from and I'd like to see those evidences preserved.

Edit: I'm guessing the people who fight the 'under God' in the pledge vehemently want to erase that history.

The "under God" part had nothing to do with the Founding Fathers.

Nov 29, 2006

Is it just me or would Jesus reject the idea of a nation pimping his religion and calling it its own?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'd argue that every human is born without the notion of what a deity is; I've often seen atheism defined as rejecting a belief in a god, so I don't think a newborn quite qualifies.

that's fair. It's pretty much the same thing in my mind.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
It may have been a reason but it wasn't the only one. The majority of Americans have always been Christian and we do well to honor God by recognizing his authority and bounty.

Those who think otherwise are free to, but the majority rules here.

American Christianity, FOREVER.

:)

What I love about religious authoritarians such as yourself is your willful blindness about how what you desire would affect you.

You my Catholic friend are NOT in the majority in this country. This is a majority Protestant country. You are down here with the Atheists, Jews, and Muslims as a minority.

You'd also do well to understand your history. It was less than a hundred years ago where majority protestant communities were trying to outlaw Catholic parochial schools and even the Klan was going after Catholics.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism_in_the_United_States

Of course the constitutional wall between church and state protects minority Catholics from interference in how they practice their religion from the Protestant majority.

So maybe before cheering the government enforcing a religious majority you might take a moment to reflect how those protections you decry have historically protected your own faith.