ATF caught manufacturing crimes (epidemic of corruption)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Since the president was reelected in November of last year, a good deal of poison has been poured into Washington’s grimy alphabet soup. Among the departments that have become embroiled in scandal are the IRS, the DOJ, the DOE, the EPA, the NSA, the USDA, and, of course, the ATF. This week, the lattermost is back in the news — and for good reason.
Sad! This has nothing to do with Obama getting re-elected....

xxsk8er101xx

Aug 13, 2000
I think you are all missing the bigger story.

The story should be about how the federal government bullied a 20 year old mentally handicapped person and ruined his life. All this guy was trying to do was find a job to provide money for his family.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documen.../wichita-bruner-motion-hearing-transcript.pdf

At least start reading from page 36.

The story of Tony Bruner:
Pg 52-53:
"But, anyways, that's beside the point. But I'm
just saying it's so much on one person, but nobody want to talk
to me about it. My parents don't talk to me about it. My mama
don't talk to me. She feel like she on too -- she feel like
she don't talk to me like that.
You know, it's like I'm out
there by myself, you know, every day. And it's just like not
nobody cares about me. It's like everybody's, like, mad at me
or something, like I don't know what it is I done did, you
know.
But, you know, I'm going to keep my head straight,
and I'm going to keep God first, you know, no matter what
'cause God will pull me to somebody that can help me, you know,
no matter what. But, you know, I never -- I never -- I
never -- I never thought I'd be in this situation."

This is the real crime. Your government is creating this suffering. A country that lacks empathy is a country that should be enslaved by it's government. In other words if it can happen to him it can happen to you. If you let this happen, if you allow this kind of tyranny, then you are allowing your government to act in a tyrannical manner. Once the government does it once it sets a precedent to do it again and again and again.

How is this not in the national news?

Last edited:

xxsk8er101xx

Aug 13, 2000
Actually it does. The president is the boss. He is responsible for what happens under his watch in government. He's the CEO of the government so everything that happens under his watch he is responsible for. That's just how it rolls when you take the job.

Sad! This has nothing to do with Obama getting re-elected....

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
News link here

pic_giant_121013_SM_How-the-ATF-Manufacturers-Crime-agent.jpg

Since the president was reelected in November of last year, a good deal of poison has been poured into Washington’s grimy alphabet soup. Among the departments that have become embroiled in scandal are the IRS, the DOJ, the DOE, the EPA, the NSA, the USDA, and, of course, the ATF. This week, the lattermost is back in the news — and for good reason.
SNIP
I'm certainly no fan of Obama on balance, but it's probably more accurate to say that since the President was reelected in November of last year, a good deal of poison has been allowed to come to the top of Washington’s grimy alphabet soup. The IRS and DOJ scandals are of his administration's making, and perhaps partially the EPA's and the USDA's, but the NSA's and BATFE's predate Obama. While some of these messes are probably of Obama's origin, a lot is merely the corruption inherent in such powerful organizations being allowed to come to the surface. Whether they are convinced that Obama is of like mind, or or is simply a weak and disengaged leader, they are emboldened, but I doubt that Obama and his administration are specifically encouraging such behavior, much less ordering it.

Good to see some US manufacturing is doing well :)
LMAO! +1

I think you are all missing the bigger story.

The story should be about how the federal government bullied a 20 year old mentally handicapped person and ruined his life. All this guy was trying to do was find a job to provide money for his family.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documen.../wichita-bruner-motion-hearing-transcript.pdf

At least start reading from page 36.

The story of Tony Bruner:
Pg 52-53:
"But, anyways, that's beside the point. But I'm
just saying it's so much on one person, but nobody want to talk
to me about it. My parents don't talk to me about it. My mama
don't talk to me. She feel like she on too -- she feel like
she don't talk to me like that.
You know, it's like I'm out
there by myself, you know, every day. And it's just like not
nobody cares about me. It's like everybody's, like, mad at me
or something, like I don't know what it is I done did, you
know.
But, you know, I'm going to keep my head straight,
and I'm going to keep God first, you know, no matter what
'cause God will pull me to somebody that can help me, you know,
no matter what. But, you know, I never -- I never -- I
never -- I never thought I'd be in this situation."

This is the real crime. Your government is creating this suffering. A country that lacks empathy is a country that should be enslaved by it's government. In other words if it can happen to him it can happen to you. If you let this happen, if you allow this kind of tyranny, then you are allowing your government to act in a tyrannical manner. Once the government does it once it sets a precedent to do it again and again and again.

How is this not in the national news?
For one, it doesn't fit the progressive agenda. Spending time pointing out such abuses does not help convince people to accord government even more power, so they ignore it unless it gets traction with the public when it is inevitably covered by small freedom-loving groups or more commonly, by groups eager to use anything to discredit Obama. (I'm not saying such groups are wrong, just that many if not most covering this are no more clean or decent than is Obama. Many groups cover this under Obama but would not under Bush, or at least would not link it to Bush.)

Put it this way: There are an awful lot of horrible stories out there, far more than can be covered. Thus the powers-that-be in reportage choose the stories that also help advance their agendas.

xxsk8er101xx

Aug 13, 2000
There are a lot of horrible stories. The difference between those horrible stories and this horrible story is the fact that this guy was just trying to find a job. It wasn't Walmart that ruined his life it was your government.

How are people not understanding this?

Your government bullied an American citizen. It bothers me that we live in a country so full of zombies for lack of a better word. It just seems like no one cares. You all want to be enslaved. That's basically what you're telling me. You want a dictator like government that goes around and bullies groups of people. As long as you believe it's not going to happen to you who cares right? Why stand up for your rights when it doesn't impact you ... yet. I think you're all afraid. Well you should be because from here on out it only gets worst as you let your government run like a tyrannical dictatorship.

If this was in Iraq you would all be up in arms but because it's in america ahh who cares. It's only our government doing the same thing that is done in places that don't have freedom.

Do I have to spell it out? This story is more than just that one man. It's about not just his freedom being taken away from him by his government but yours as well. You may think you're safe in your cute little home but as this continues on you're freedom will be taken away too. All it takes is desperation for a job.

For one, it doesn't fit the progressive agenda. Spending time pointing out such abuses does not help convince people to accord government even more power, so they ignore it unless it gets traction with the public when it is inevitably covered by small freedom-loving groups or more commonly, by groups eager to use anything to discredit Obama. (I'm not saying such groups are wrong, just that many if not most covering this are no more clean or decent than is Obama. Many groups cover this under Obama but would not under Bush, or at least would not link it to Bush.)

Put it this way: There are an awful lot of horrible stories out there, far more than can be covered. Thus the powers-that-be in reportage choose the stories that also help advance their agendas.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
There are a lot of horrible stories. The difference between those horrible stories and this horrible story is the fact that this guy was just trying to find a job. It wasn't Walmart that ruined his life it was your government.

How are people not understanding this?

Your government bullied an American citizen. It bothers me that we live in a country so full of zombies for lack of a better word. It just seems like no one cares. You all want to be enslaved. That's basically what you're telling me. You want a dictator like government that goes around and bullies groups of people. As long as you believe it's not going to happen to you who cares right? Why stand up for your rights when it doesn't impact you ... yet. I think you're all afraid. Well you should be because from here on out it only gets worst as you let your government run like a tyrannical dictatorship.

If this was in Iraq you would all be up in arms but because it's in america ahh who cares. It's only our government doing the same thing that is done in places that don't have freedom.

Do I have to spell it out? This story is more than just that one man. It's about not just his freedom being taken away from him by his government but yours as well. You may think you're safe in your cute little home but as this continues on you're freedom will be taken away too. All it takes is desperation for a job.
Oh, I understand, and I agree with you. But you asked why the main stream media isn't jumping on this, and that's because it goes against the agenda. If this story gains traction, they will begin to solemnly cover it. But there preference is to pick outrages that advance their agenda.

This guy is hardly unique either. The government does this all the time, for it is much easier to find someone to commit a crime than to stop or catch the people who will do that crime on their own. Want to get an arrest of a terrorist trying to buy Stinger missiles to shoot down planes? Find a radical Islamic web site, pick out some particularly foamy individuals, egg them on with multiple accounts both supporting their rhetoric and telling them why they need to take action, then offer to sell them a Stinger missile. Want to arrest someone building pipe bombs? Recruit them as an informant and give them money and a shopping list of pipe bomb ingredients, then arrest them with the evidence and deny all previous contact. And if outed, explain that you could not tell the truth without compromising ongoing investigations and claim that the informant had been fooling them all along.

Sheep dogs don't live long enough to figure out that it's far easier to merely eat your fill of the sheep than to fight the wolves. Government agencies do.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
BATFE is amazingly corrupt and needs to be shut down, its duties turned over to the much more honest FBI. But with the except of Fast and Furious, this has nothing to do with Obama or his re-election. It's a culture that has existed at least since Carter. Probably this goes back to its reformulation in '68, possibly even back to its prohibition origins. Untouchable then, untouchable now.

didn't bill clinton want to fold the BATF into the FBI..and shortly after he said that the Texas Waco incident occurred?? BATF got their arse shot off. Janet Reno and the FBI had to go in and save their bacon??

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
BATFE is amazingly corrupt and needs to be shut down, its duties turned over to the much more honest FBI. But with the except of Fast and Furious, this has nothing to do with Obama or his re-election. It's a culture that has existed at least since Carter. Probably this goes back to its reformulation in '68, possibly even back to its prohibition origins. Untouchable then, untouchable now.

This. Sounds remarkably like the event that lead to Ruby Ridge.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
didn't bill clinton want to fold the BATF into the FBI..and shortly after he said that the Texas Waco incident occurred?? BATF got their arse shot off. Janet Reno and the FBI had to go in and save their bacon??
Pretty much. Waco was manufactured to save the BATFE, but the FBI ended up looking even worse, thus ending any talk of subsuming the BATFE into the FBI.

This. Sounds remarkably like the event that lead to Ruby Ridge.
Ruby Ridge was a manufactured sting operation much the same as these.