Atari making a comeback? Anyone have or looked at one of these?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
This little doodad...

Remember when the Atari was a console? I'm actually half tempted to get one of these... Asteroids, Missile Command, Yar's Revenge, and my all time favorite Adventure - among others.

I showed it to my wife in Walmart the other day and she said "What? No PacMan?". :disgust:

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I still have both the Atari 2600 & 5200 in my attic. That looks cool though.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
They have the same kinds of things over in China, except they're hacked and most likely illegal... Got something like 100 games on them. I saw a few on ebay.

Feb 10, 2000
One of the all-time most disappointing moments of my life was the release of Pac-Man for the 2600. I tried to put a positive spin on how badly it sucked, but, well, it really, really sucked.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
One of the all-time most disappointing moments of my life was the release of Pac-Man for the 2600. I tried to put a positive spin on how badly it sucked, but, well, it really, really sucked.

how can Pac Man suck? I mean, it would take extraoridinary talent to screw up a simple game like that.

Foo909

Jan 27, 2004
I have the pac-man one and the atari one... my little bro got them for me just for kicks. They are pretty fun actually, kinda suprising ;)

WTF are you talking about?! It was the same as the arcade version. That game is impossible to fcuk up.

Arcturian

Banned
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by: MisterJackson

WTF are you talking about?! It was the same as the arcade version. That game is impossible to fcuk up.

2600 incarnation of pacman was absolutely nothing like the arcade. WTF are you talking about?

Feb 10, 2000

It was nothing like the arcade version. Have you ever played a 2600? The hardware was very limited, and Pac Man was just hideous on the 2600.

These are some screenshots, but it actually looked even worse, because the Atari could, as I recall, only render a few moving objects at a time, so the ghosts flickered to allow all 4, plus Pac-Man, to move at once.

In its day, the 2600 Pac-Man was probably the most anticipated video game in history up to that point, so it was a crushing disappointment. Here is a review that tells the story.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I got one of these for Xmas.

It was fun for about 1/2 hour. Now it's only fun to break out for friends to see... But again, not for very long.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Don_Vito

It was nothing like the arcade version. Have you ever played a 2600? The hardware was very limited, and Pac Man was just hideous on the 2600.

These are some screenshots, but it actually looked even worse, because the Atari could, as I recall, only render a few moving objects at a time, so the ghosts flickered to allow all 4, plus Pac-Man, to move at once.

In its day, the 2600 Pac-Man was probably the most anticipated video game in history up to that point, so it was a crushing disappointment. Here is a review that tells the story.

Huh. Maybe that's why I've only acquired Ms. Pac Man for my 2600.