AT World of Warcraft Thread (Warlords, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The rep requirements are all from new reputations in 6.2 so there's no way they can track those yet for you.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
Predictions: Do you think the gold price for a WoW Token is going to go up when 6.2 hits, or go down?

Not sure if it'll go up because a bunch of people with lapsed accounts will be buying WoW Tokens to see the new content, or if it'll go down because a bunch of people trying to buy felblight, etc. will be selling tokens.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
My guess is that it will go down for US realms. MMOC had a survey a while back that showed most active players don't even have 50k. The fact that the US token price is so low compared to EU and especially the Asian realms seems to indicate US players have no problem dropping $20 on a token so they don't have to login once/day for 5 minutes to send missions on a few characters. I'm guessing most of those same players would rather spend $40-60 to upgrade their 3 crafted pieces than come up with gold in other means.

Edit: There may be a spike initially from returning players that unsubbed prior to the token being added, but I'd expect the end result a week or so after 6.2 will be lower.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
My guild finds the token hilarious - literally all but 2 of our raiders pay for their subs with gold now.

I'm quite thankful for the propensity of NA players to spend money on gold, making enough to buy EU/China WoW tokens would actually require me to really try to make gold, doing it in NA is zero effort!

I spend what used to be my WoW sub on League of Legends/Path of Exile instead >_>

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't bought any tokens yet, but I plan to start. I was doubtful at first when I read in this thread someone was reporting making 100K/wk with 10 toons, but I'm sure that's not only realistic but very easy. I've got 8 x 100s now, and making 70K-80K/wk without even trying. 10 minutes once or twice a day to send followers on missions, which I'd be doing for gear, raid second chance roll tokens, legendary quest items, and the like anyway. I can easily save the cost of both my and my daughter's subs for a small fraction of the gold I'm pulling in.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I haven't bought any tokens yet, but I plan to start. I was doubtful at first when I read in this thread someone was reporting making 100K/wk with 10 toons, but I'm sure that's not only realistic but very easy. I've got 8 x 100s now, and making 70K-80K/wk without even trying. 10 minutes once or twice a day to send followers on missions, which I'd be doing for gear, raid second chance roll tokens, legendary quest items, and the like anyway. I can easily save the cost of both my and my daughter's subs for a small fraction of the gold I'm pulling in.

They are going to end this supply train FYI. Couple dev comments implying a nerf, maybe a throttle on alts for gold missions or something.

Something is going to change...

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Well that change wasn't on the PTR so I wouldn't expect it in 6.2 but I'm betting it's in a bug fix patch "soon", or maybe it'll get discussed to death and never happen.

Just sayin' it's on their radar.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
They are going to end this supply train FYI. Couple dev comments implying a nerf, maybe a throttle on alts for gold missions or something.

Something is going to change...

Why would they do that? They are making more money selling game time with tokens than they are selling that same amount of game time with subs.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why would they do that? They are making more money selling game time with tokens than they are selling that same amount of game time with subs.

Their excuse was that players felt compelled to log in with all their alts every day to do the missions and they're doing it for the players.

My guess is it's for financial purposes more than anything. They may want to reduce the number of people who are no longer paying for subs because of how much gold they're making.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

The same answer to all economics questions, supply and demand. With the token program they need to generate enough gold to supply buyers, so easy gold is OK. You need to supply the market.

Make it too easy and who will buy?

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
Their excuse was that players felt compelled to log in with all their alts every day to do the missions and they're doing it for the players.

My guess is it's for financial purposes more than anything. They may want to reduce the number of people who are no longer paying for subs because of how much gold they're making.

You are entirely missing the point.

A one month sub is $15.
A game token is $20.

Both give one month access to the game. One of either is required to play the game. Which one do you think Blizzard would rather sell?

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
Just saw the patch notes and it does indeed say they reduced high value gold missions on different characters, I only have 3 100s and made enough for 1 token in about a month, it's the only reason I resubbed since I don't play enough to justify the subscription, if I can't make enough gold to buy tokens I don't think I'll continue with it

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I'm curious how much of an effect that will have. I know I've been abusing it. I'm nearly at 2 million for doing practically nothing but garrison-related activities.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Reposting what I posted on the official forums:
I can understand the desire to nerf the ability. From an economic standpoint, it's pretty ridiculous.

But then Blizzard needs to stop making everything in the game cost 50K-100K and dropping 3g on a boss kill.

Want that mount? That's 125,000 gold please. Don't worry, that's only 2,000 WoD raid clears...

The need/desire for gold is created by Blizzard. Nerfing treasure hunter is only fixing one side of the equation.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, I might have to do Midsummer since it's 670 gear. I just wish it had more weapons to get since the flippin' 645 weapon rewards always give me 2H for my Dual-Wield Death Knight. :mad:

Honestly, I think that's just their forward-facing reason to make it sound like it's for our good. However, just like with politicians and the like, there's always another reason for their actions, and Blizzard knows that people are amassing too much gold. Now, of course, not everyone is getting that much gold (as we've seen in this thread), but the effort is pretty much non-existent. They've already done things like nerf sell prices for old raid loot.

I'm up to around 800k gold right now. It'd probably be higher, but I've been buying bags (instead of making them :confused:) and I haven't been logging in as much lately.

Also, they've released the changes that will affect the money:

• Big Crates of Salvage are no longer guaranteed from successfully completing level 100 follower missions.
  • Reduced the frequency of high-value gold missions appearing across multiple characters.
  • As Highmaul and Blackrock Foundry are no longer the latest tier of raid content, Mythic garrison missions for each zone no longer award bonus gold.
  • Blingtron's Secret Vault has moved to a new, even more secret location. But, his stash of riches has grown considerably because of the decreased number of raids on his vault.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's stupid, because reducing the frequency of the gold missions doesn't mean you have to log in less often on alts. You still have have to log in just to see if they have the mission or you might miss it. Their "fix" doesn't even do what they claim it's for. So you're still logging in and checking missions on all your alts, you're just not actually getting as much for it now. If they want to change it, fine, it's their game. And it's still fun, so I'll keep playing. But don't insult my intelligence.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's stupid, because reducing the frequency of the gold missions doesn't mean you have to log in less often on alts. You still have have to log in just to see if they have the mission or you might miss it. Their "fix" doesn't even do what they claim it's for. So you're still logging in and checking missions on all your alts, you're just not actually getting as much for it now. If they want to change it, fine, it's their game. And it's still fun, so I'll keep playing. But don't insult my intelligence.

It actually hurts me in another way. Since I never leave my garrison, the only way that I get leather and cloth is from the crates. I've kept myself fairly stocked, but if I get far less crates, I may not be able to.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What an absolutute cluster f++k in game. You'd think this is the first time Blizzard made a game. Stupid, stupid mistakes with the opening quests at Iron Docks.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Each point has a single object to click on and 500 users on mounts standing on top of it and using the same object at the same time. It's like Blizzard handed the development over to someone who normally does Candy Crush games.