AT World of Warcraft Thread (Warlords, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
There is a fix. Google it. Or look back a few pages in the sticky WoW thread on this forum. I made a post about it. With a link.
Edit: I'll make it easy: here's the link: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36864493&postcount=3387

Basically you need to:
run in dx9-mode
disable all AA in-game
download the free nVidia Inspector tool
in nVidia Inspector you need to set the AA-compatability bits to a specific value (0x000012C1).
set "AA - mode" to "Override any application setting"
set "AA - setting" to "4x [4x Multisampling]
you can set transparency to either Enabled Multisampling transparency (low impact on fps), or 4x SGSSAA (nicer, but heavy impact on fps).

I run with these settings since a week. Except from a weird effect on trees at the edge of the view distance, the game looks good. A lot better than TXAA or CMAA. It's worth it.

There are people that enjoy eating at McDonalds. I bet you are one of them.
What next, are you gonna make fun of posh 3-star restaurants, where food costs 30 times more than a Happy Meal ? Just because you don't mind eating mud ?

no not really actually

it just boggles my mine that something a small as the specific type of AA would ruin someones expirenence

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
IoLo0TG.jpg

Mine was 49xx...

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Wow 4k queue on Korgath. I haven't seen that in years. Imma leave it to queue while I go to the gym lol.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Been in queue for an hour on Ysera, gone from 1400 to 700 in front of me. Might just cancel and go play Unity downstairs.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
DDoS does not normally make a login queue, its just lags you out a lot

Just check Mal'Ganis again, queue is at 5500

i cant even get to Ner'zhul, it just says "locked" and never even trys to get me to the queue

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Came back from the gym and it says disconnected. Tried reconnecting and its not getting anything at all. Oh well guess no WoW tonight lol.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Came back from the gym and it says disconnected. Tried reconnecting and its not getting anything at all. Oh well guess no WoW tonight lol.

Yeah, it's been about an hour since my friends and I got kicked off. No luck reconnecting. They must be really working on some stuff.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15271097043

Blizzard said:
Community Manager

[Update] 6:01 pm PST

We’re continuing to work toward greater realm stability and address the service issues impacting latency. Our current biggest hurdle is the concentration of players in specific areas and zones, and an unexpected effect of that concentration on the realm stability. We’re continuing to maintain a lowered realm population cap to help with the stability, which is resulting in increased queue times. We’re seeing some increase in individual zones drop which are causing localized player disconnections as we get into primetime in the Americas, and if someone is disconnected they will quite likely run into a queue to log back in. Work is progressing on improving realm stability through fixes targeting individual in-game issues, as well as on the backend game and network services.

3:02 pm PST

We’re excited to finally launch Warlords of Draenor and explore this new world with you, but we know that the experience has been less than ideal as we approach our first full day of launch.

Europe was our first region to launch, and we encountered a few issues due to the sheer number of players attempting to enter Draenor from a single location. We worked to add multiple new ways to access Draenor, and this helped ease some of the initial rush into the new expansion as players were able to access it from their capital cities, as well as from the shrines in Pandaria.

While that solution helped a ton for our North American launch, we ran into a few other issues, including a distributed denial of service attack, that resulted in increased latency.

To help correct for this and other issues, we’ve temporarily lowered maximum realm populations. This means there will be high queue times experienced on high-population realms.

Here are some of the other important issues we’re currently working to address:

Instance servers timing out, which may impact dungeon access
Continent server issues, which are resulting in Player Not Found and disconnection issues
Garrison server issues, which are resulting in phasing and performance issues

We’ll post updates here as we make progress against these issues. Thank you for your zeal to face down the tyranny of the Iron Horde—and for your continued patience as we work to improve the current experience.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
Not gonna lie, I've been eyeing up WoW for a while but MoP turned me off. WoD looks great compared to MoP. That being said, I'm glad I haven't bought it due to the complaints on launch, the ease of leveling, and also IRL obligations (no way I could move next month while playing this game).

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Not gonna lie, I've been eyeing up WoW for a while but MoP turned me off. WoD looks great compared to MoP. That being said, I'm glad I haven't bought it due to the complaints on launch, the ease of leveling, and also IRL obligations (no way I could move next month while playing this game).

MoP was by far my least favorite expansion. The levels were beautiful, but I didn't like anything else about it. I gave zero craps about the story. This one is much more interesting and the quests are more fun (so far).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
We’ll be performing unscheduled maintenance on all NA realms beginning at 5 a.m. PST in order to address issues with realm stability. We anticipate this process will last approximately 4 hours and appreciate your patience during this time.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I got lucky tonight and got in with no wait somehow. Been playing for the last few hours. Half way to 93. Gonna go to bed soon though.

Chacotako

Apr 29, 2001
DDoS does not normally make a login queue, its just lags you out a lot

Just check Mal'Ganis again, queue is at 5500

i cant even get to Ner'zhul, it just says "locked" and never even trys to get me to the queue

Same for me on Zul'Jin. I eventually just gave up. Hopefully the weekend is a lot better...

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Typical launch day woes, but I have to wonder why in some cases. For example:

we encountered a few issues due to the sheer number of players attempting to enter Draenor from a single location

OK, so straight off the bat they cut this number in half by having horde and alliance start in two different areas (holy this this made the initial zone much better). Then, of course there's a lot less people playing vs. last patch.

Not that I expected perfection, but a few things like that had me scratching my head a bit.

Logged in at 5:30, didn't get in game until 9:30, got almost 2 levels in before midnight which is good by me.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
OK, so straight off the bat they cut this number in half by having horde and alliance start in two different areas (holy this this made the initial zone much better). Then, of course there's a lot less people playing vs. last patch.

This wouldn't have really helped on a lot of servers. Lots of servers are pretty much one sided (Zul'jin, Illidan, etc) -- what they should have done was offered two starting zones where one didn't completely suck (ie, the underwater zone that nobody ever went to...).

Zul'jin was unplayable all day. By evening I was stuck in queue for a little less than 3 hours ... got online and then the server went offline within 5 minutes. When it came back, I was already at 3000+ in queue again. NOPE.

I'll try again tonight, but odds are I'll probably not play until early tomorrow morning when I can get on without waiting 3-4 hours.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
bummer... actually had a free hour this morning, since my boss OK'd me for coming in late after getting stuck at work 2 hours late last night, and of course it's when the servers are down for maintenance. lol

did manage to clear an instance in FFXIV, though! got me 80% of a level from 33-34.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
meh. the first week of any expansion sucks. I was on last night and people were acting like this was the worst launch in history. it was the same as every WoW expansion launch.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
This wouldn't have really helped on a lot of servers. Lots of servers are pretty much one sided (Zul'jin, Illidan, etc) -- what they should have done was offered two starting zones where one didn't completely suck (ie, the underwater zone that nobody ever went to...).

It's not a cureall but it's certainly a better design. 2 starter zones always = "this zone is easier" for whatever reasons, even if they are wrong. It'll get posted as the "easy zone" and people will flood it (ironically make it much more difficult). Splitting by faction also makes the first few levels easier on a PvP server, which is where gankers liked to hang out.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Ended up playing way more than I wanted last night lol. Hit 93 on my druid and then hopped over to my horde shaman and set up her garrison lol.

I really like the snow of the horde starting area more. Leveling as a spell caster is weird to me. None of my toons have been a spell caster. I don't know if I like it or not. I might just play my horde hunter instead.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I did get on last night, did some of the lead-in story quests, got disconnected a couple times and was able to log back in shortly thereafter. Got booted a third time, and that seemed a bit more dire, world server was down, and got booted completely. Gave up for the night. Maybe I'll try again this weekend.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Had issues a bit after 10 last night. I decided I'd make it an early night and play some today. Of course, get on my computer at 8AM only to find that the servers went down at 8AM and are still not up. I did get some painting done, so I guess there was productivity, but I hate losing time scheduled off.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Maintenance has been extended and we expect realms to be playable again at 11:00 AM PST.