AT World of Warcraft Thread (Mists, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Hmm, it may have been that tweet but I recall it saying it would be in 5.2

Everyone in my guild was going nuts over it. Azuresong is a solid choice, might have to farm one up, always liked a caster with a relatively simple sword look.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
per the forums, the "new" heirlooms are upgrades from the existing ones... you turn in one of the old heirlooms plus JP's to get an upgraded heirloom that will scale to 85.

not so bad for someone perpetually justice capped like me, but that's a high bar to entry for someone newly purchasing an heirloom.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
per the forums, the "new" heirlooms are upgrades from the existing ones... you turn in one of the old heirlooms plus JP's to get an upgraded heirloom that will scale to 85.

not so bad for someone perpetually justice capped like me, but that's a high bar to entry for someone newly purchasing an heirloom.

I have every heirloom piece in the game... and 2 sets of the leather gear... and I have all my chars already 85...

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Took yet another offspec shadow piece on my priest in some heroic, then realized it bumped me over ilvl 460 on the useless +hit crap in my bags. Wasn't so useless after-all, was able to queue LFR as a healer in ilvl 451 equipped :awe:

Found out that disc is meh for LFR, especially with shaman in the raid (gg healing rain). Everything has too long of a cast time. Of course, it might also help if I actually remember to use Cascade once in a while, I'm just NOW realizing 12 hours later that I didn't cast it even once....anyway, finished 3rd in overall healing (#1 hps/absorbs, but still only 7k spirit, so I have some time spent waiting for mana regen), which I'll take considering ilvl 451. Got three drops just from kills, don't have any coins because I haven't done any dailies. Got a spirit ring (equipped), non-spirit cloak (equipped), and a spirit OH (banked) for which I don't have a MH. Loot on 3/6 without coins works for me!

Have to still do some heroics as I have a couple ilvl 414 pieces still (shoulders and a trinket), and a few shadowy-type pieces equipped that should probably be replaced with healing pieces (bracers, ring). Probably going to think about starting golden lotus dailies to unlock the 489 shoulders. Have almost enough VP for them alraedy.

Then logged on my mage for a Sha kill, got the 496 tier pants with a coin. Redid all my reforging and such so I could equip it, and actually elected for 2x 483 pieces instead of 2x 489 pieces because I *think* the 4pc set bonus is probably better than than total of 12 ilvls, especially considering one of the 489 pieces has crit which is meh for arcane. Going to try to squeeze in a couple heroics on there either today or tomorrow so I can get the 2nd upgrade on my DMF trinket before raid, then I'll use future points on upgrading the 496 pants.

After my reforge, my hit % is EXACTLY 15.00%. Almost 23% haste self-buffed with 31.05 mastery. At ilvl 488, with 3x 489 and 1x 496 item in the bank because all but 1 are crit pieces. I may need to run some numbers and see if the 496 hit/crit ring is better than my 489 hit/mastery or 489 hit/haste. I'm going to guess probably not, but I'll hold onto it, just in case I can go back to fire at some point....

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
BTW, if anyone wants to do a RAF, I have a spare battle chest key I can give away for free. I'm on Bleeding Hollow horde side, send me a PM if you're interested.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Made a realization over the weekend -- going to just focus on my mage, priest, and warrior now. Covers the bases of tanking, healing, melee/ranged dps. I've really lost the motivation to level/play/gear anything else. Did a heroic on my warlock and LFR on my rogue, and didn't really enjoy either one in their current gear/state.

Made 2x of the 463 str maces on my blacksmith after MSV LFR as arms -- was completely underwhelming. Did part 2 as fury, and it was better, but still nowhere near what I'm used to on my mage. Joined a Sha group, tanks sucked, healers sucked, and because the healers sucked our tanks sucked even more. Ended up swapping to prot and tanking Sha, because my 467 prot set was the most geared tank we had. I still died twice after blowing through shield wall, enraged regen, and last stand without getting healed.

Spent ~12.5k on Serpents cards for my priest, just to get a 476 trinket so I could get into the HoF/Terrace LFR's. Probably not going to actually equip it, as I want the cranes deck, but it's over twice the price so I'm not gonna pay that. I'll just leave the 476 dps trink in my bags and sell it as soon as my ilvl is high enough without it. Cleared both HoFs and Terrace, haven't done any dailies so I didn't have coins, and didn't get a single piece of loot from those.

I might end up swapping to holy instead of disc -- disc looks good on the meters, but I'm finding i'm more of a reactive healer -- spirit shell is way awesome, but I get freaked out by healing and not seeing people's health bars move. Definitely need some more spirit gear, only at 7.4k spirit so I'm generally oom by 30% and have to wait on mana CDs. Of course, it helps if I'm not carrying the heals (double the hps, lowest overheal) in my 465 equipped (470 in bags) gear.

Did full clear MSV10 last night on my mage with protectors afterward. Ranked on 3 of the 7 fights as arcane again :D The best one was 108k on protectors (#102). Also had a rank on Spirit Guardians and Feng again.

I wish I could have the full 496+ sets some of these other mages are rockin, kinda curious if I could break top 25 with appropriate gear. Currently only in 488 equipped, using the 496 NON sha-touched dagger.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
kinda starting to regret my faction transfer to Horde... my guild is officially falling apart, I think.

the guild leader and officers have been suffering from computer issues and RL drama for the past couple months, during which no recruitment is being done and no raiding is taking place.

I'm not sure I even want to raid, but the small/stagnant nature of the guild is starting to get a little boring. it's only ever like the same 3-4 of us online and I couldn't tell you the last time a non-alt was invited into the guild.

but while I'm on one of the most populated PvE realms, horde-side is utterly dead. on the official WoW forums, there's about a dozen threads with Alliance guilds recruiting, and none for horde.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
kinda starting to regret my faction transfer to Horde... my guild is officially falling apart, I think.

the guild leader and officers have been suffering from computer issues and RL drama for the past couple months, during which no recruitment is being done and no raiding is taking place.

That sucks! I transferred my horde paladin from Hellscream (big alliance server, low horde pop) to Illidan (wait, there's alliance??) so I could play with my wife's cousin a bit. I haven't gotten my guy to 90 yet (currently 87ish), but I haven't seen her cousin online in weeks. Waste of $25 really =/

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
That sucks! I transferred my horde paladin from Hellscream (big alliance server, low horde pop) to Illidan (wait, there's alliance??) so I could play with my wife's cousin a bit. I haven't gotten my guy to 90 yet (currently 87ish), but I haven't seen her cousin online in weeks. Waste of $25 really =/

I did the same about 1.5ish yr ago. I brought all 5 five of my toons over to follow my guild which was moving off a dying horde serv. Now besides a RL friend that moved too, I know of 2 people still playing the game. Was kind of bummed that I spend all that money for nothing now.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

I'm not sure I even want to raid, but the small/stagnant nature of the guild is starting to get a little boring. it's only ever like the same 3-4 of us online and I couldn't tell you the last time a non-alt was invited into the guild.

but while I'm on one of the most populated PvE realms, horde-side is utterly dead. on the official WoW forums, there's about a dozen threads with Alliance guilds recruiting, and none for horde.

Yea that happens. Especially the servers. I looked up some breakdowns on populations and most servers have gone heavy 1 side or the other. So much so, one side can be considered dead.

(My server is 1 alliance - 0.01 horde breakdown)

I just love being in a big guild of 700+, with 70+ always online. Never dull in the chat window.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
that's always lame.

one of my friends was perpetually re-rolling and server transferring his characters... I tried re-rolling with him, but after like the 5th time I was like "fuck you, dude."

now that you can group up between realms, he never wants to do anything together anyways.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
Spent the last half of Vanilla on Draka.

Spent most/all of TBC on Draka, but also began creating new chars on Baelgun at the request of RL friends.

Spent all of Wotlk on Baelgun.

Spent all of Cata on Draka.

Now MoP... I'm back on Baelgun.. again. God I hate that. People I play with disappear and reappear constantly... somehow I end up being the one paying for transfers. I have a litany of heirlooms; the fact that we cannot mail them cross server (and probably never will) is absolutely killing me in this game.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
Yeah, I can see how that would be extremely irritating. I also dont think they will ever implement that. Sure would be nice if they did though. My son would really benefit from them. He's only 8 right now and he just started playing on another server (no room for his character on my main server)...used to hate the game because I spent so much time playing it and not with him (we still spend a lot of time together, its not that bad). Now he's addicted. I started him off with a hunter, pet keeps the bad guys off him so I cant imagine a better class for a true "noob". =)

Speaking of heirlooms my 15 WW monk is completely decked out in them:
Head, Shoulders, Cape, Chest, 2x Mass of McGowan (w/ +15 agi each), trinket...she's even got the new pants. Its absolutely insane how much damage she does at that level, I can probably solo the level 15 dungeons. Practically one shot everything.

Last edited:

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Speaking of heirlooms my 15 WW monk is completely decked out in them: Head, Shoulders, Cape, Chest, 2x Mass of McGowan (w/ +15 agi each), trinket...she's even got the new pants. Its absolutely insane how much damage she does at that level, I can probably solo the level 15 dungeons. Practically one shot everything.

Should stay that way for several levels. I played my monk as brewmaster up through level 58. At least in all dungeons up through perhaps BRD, a healer isn't really necessary. Use chi wave, the absorb shield, and the self heal, your healer can probably stay a dps spec.

I swapped to mistweaver at 58 going into TBC dungeons, and even now at 67 I've had a few groups where the tank dropped (mana tombs, auchenai crypts), and I've just mistweaver-tanked while waiting on a tank to join up.

Not sure if it's the heirlooms or monks that are OP in lower levels...

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I was this way in cata on my hunter. I had every piece of heirloom gear that a hunter could have counting 3 weapons(before the stupid bow main hand crap) with the +15 agil enchant on them. I was 1 shotting mobs with aimed shot up until 48-50sih.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Buy the 496 piece. The only time you should ever consider upgrading a LFR item is if it's a sha touched weapon, and even then it's debatable.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
guess I need to buy some stuff, justice capped and if not for weeklly limit would also be valor capped.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Should stay that way for several levels. I played my monk as brewmaster up through level 58. At least in all dungeons up through perhaps BRD, a healer isn't really necessary. Use chi wave, the absorb shield, and the self heal, your healer can probably stay a dps spec.

I swapped to mistweaver at 58 going into TBC dungeons, and even now at 67 I've had a few groups where the tank dropped (mana tombs, auchenai crypts), and I've just mistweaver-tanked while waiting on a tank to join up.

Not sure if it's the heirlooms or monks that are OP in lower levels...

I am pretty sure it is the heirlooms. I have seen cloth dps tank in heirlooms and not die easily. It is all that extra stam they get from them.

Which I main a monk, and I cannot tell you how much I almost want to level... another monk. >.>

Character list update

Monk - 90
Paladin - 90
Death knight - 90
Shaman - 90
Mage - 88
Priest - 86
Warrior - 86
Warlock - 86
Hunter - 80
Druid - 78
Rogue - 23

Last edited:

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Buy the 496 piece. The only time you should ever consider upgrading a LFR item is if it's a sha touched weapon, and even then it's debatable.

This. If the piece isn't 489+. Do not upgrade it. (Exemption is the Darkmoon trinket)

I will only be 300 valor shy of the 6000 mark when I cap this week.

So close.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Character list update

Monk - 90
Paladin - 90
Death knight - 90
Shaman - 90
Mage - 88
Priest - 86
Warrior - 86
Warlock - 86
Hunter - 80
Druid - 78
Rogue - 23

You almost have altoholism as bad as I do...though I'm not sure I'm going to finish leveling anyone else. If any, paladin #2 and the druid are most likely since they're already 87, almost 88.

Mage - 90
Rogue - 90
Warlock - 90
Warrior - 90
Priest - 90
Druid - 87
Paladin #2 (from scroll of res) - 87
Shaman - 85
DK - 85
Paladin (original) - 85
Hunter - 85
Monk - 67

Found a Relic of ChiJi on the AH for 15k yesterday, had my brother-in-law snatch it up since I didn't have my authenticator. That now means I have an extra Relic of Yulon that I don't know what to do with (bought for ilvl inflation for ~11.5k, but never equipped). Might hold onto it for a few weeks and try to dump it again -- can't seem to trade it for a +str trinket even with Yulon + 5k gold. Either that or I could just equip on my warlock.