AT World of Warcraft Thread (Mists, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I was sad that I didn't wake up early enough to craft my daily Scroll of Wisdom before the downtime.

I can finally craft the BoA epic caster staff on my shaman. I was looking forward to seeing how it boosts my ilevel... I've been hesitant to run LFR because my equipped ilevel is only 457 (but my overall ilevel is 463 thanks to some offspec pieces in the bank)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
to those that tried it and didnt like it id say give it a lil more time, i hated it when i first came back as well, gameplay had changed, didnt know WTF i was doing and all that coupled with new zone didnt help, however i found that once you get through that initial block its quite enjoyable, havent hit 90 yet but running around questing is actually fun, new stuff is fun and interesting and all that

I actually don't mind the gameplay changes at all. I do have a few complaints about how some things have become trivialized (like glyphs), but there are some benefits (having Shadowstep as a Combat Rogue). I just don't seem to have a desire to play anymore. Part of my annoyance might have been related to how boring some of the starting quests are. For example, I had to do a vehicle quest, which could be awesome, but it's marred with the fact that the game provides you almost no control over the vehicle except for aiming the turret. How boring! I came from playing Borderlands 2 where I get to drive around like a maniac and shooting the crap out of everything. That's like going from a crazy roller coaster to the goddamn teacup ride! :|

they call it phasing, and its annoying as fuck IMO, stuff will just randomly vanish on you because you havent done certian quest chains, really screws up farming for herbs/ore

I'm not sure if you've experienced it much, but Blizzard fixed phasing + gathering issues a lot throughout Cataclysm. Unfortunately, the issues were almost always on a case-by-case basis, which means they'll probably crop up again in Mists. It definitely was annoying though.

Unless something changed, the biggest problem with phasing is that there's no way to enter an older phase, which means you cannot help out someone... even if you're in a group with them. I'm not entirely certain that it's really that possible given how much can change between phases. With Wrath, phasing was mostly just placed units which includes NPCs and objects (trees, etc.), but in Cataclysm, this changed as now land was able to change. We saw this heavily in the new starting zones. Unfortunately, without knowing how Blizzard implemented this, I can't really surmise whether it's possible to randomly join different phases to help people.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
That's like going from a crazy roller coaster to the goddamn teacup ride! :|

Variety is the spice of life!

I love playing both games. Each is a completely different experience. I'm actually enjoying MoP a LOT more than I thought i would, to be honest. Of course, I took a pretty long break from the game, but so far, I am having a lot of fun. And, if i get tired of questing, or pew pewing mobs, or getting ganked while I am trying to quest ( :( )... Hey lookie! A completely different game where i can headshot bitches, and run over people in my badass vehicle and generally kill the shit out of stuff. :)

For me, they are a good balance for each other.

I'm not trying to convince you to play, i'm just observing I was in the same boat, and I am enjoying myself in both games quite a bit.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I havent had any phasing issues like I did in Cata and Wrath where you completely couldnt see people if you didnt finish a quest line. Leveling got tiring but I think I was so used to gaining 10 levels in 2 hours as Im leveling my monk that everything felt so long going to 90.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
leveling my main from 85-90, I set a 1 level/day goal for myself and hit it pretty easily without feeling burnt out.

haven't really touched any alts, though... feels like there's so much to do on my main that I just don't have time.

currently doing dailies for Klaxxi, Tillers, and August Celestials. 3 factions seems like my limit... once I'm exalted with Tillers, I'll start up Shado-Pan (that'll happen tomorrow); and once I've reached revered with Klaxxi (next week maybe) I'll go back to trying to grind Golden Lotus from revered to exalted.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
leveling my main from 85-90, I set a 1 level/day goal for myself and hit it pretty easily without feeling burnt out.

haven't really touched any alts, though... feels like there's so much to do on my main that I just don't have time.

currently doing dailies for Klaxxi, Tillers, and August Celestials. 3 factions seems like my limit... once I'm exalted with Tillers, I'll start up Shado-Pan (that'll happen tomorrow); and once I've reached revered with Klaxxi (next week maybe) I'll go back to trying to grind Golden Lotus from revered to exalted.

Same. I only want to level my alts for my professions.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Variety is the spice of life!

Eh, it's not really an issue of needing a different game, but rather how boring that vehicle mission was. There have been other vehicle missions in WoW that weren't so on-rails, and I think that would have been a lot more fun like that.

EDIT:

To give you an idea, do you remember the Harrison Jones airplane chase in Uldum? I just get up and do something else for the entire time, because you cannot lose.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Been using a /follow /assist macro with the lightning Bolt glyph to lvl in dungeons. Mash one hotkey with my toe while I do something else productive on my laptop.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
WTF at tank queues for LFR.

So for the second week, trying to Queue by myself (due to guild members available not being rated) as protection for the first half of Vaults resulted in:

Week 1: 6 hours queue time with no admission. I ended up getting a holy paladin in the guild geared and then got in <5 minutes with him.
Week 2: I got into the second half of vault queue in under 20 minutes, the first half was still showing >1hr queue time.

WTF!? Is something wrong with the system? Argggg!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
actually id guess there are a ton of tanks in LFR right now because they can potentually gear up the fastest because the LFG queues are instant for them,

would explain why it takes longer, the inverse of the DPS in LFG issue

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
actually id guess there are a ton of tanks in LFR right now because they can potentually gear up the fastest because the LFG queues are instant for them,

would explain why it takes longer, the inverse of the DPS in LFG issue

This can only go so far, while true, tanks get instant queue for LFG, as a tank I often lose tank gear to DPS who are "gearing up their tank."

The ratio of tanks to other in queue is the issue. In LFG a tank is 20% of the group, in LFR the tanks are 8% of the run, a single tank is 4% haha.

Just sucks, as I gear up more of my guildies, this shouldn't be an issue for me much longer. I just had to rant about it haha.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
being a healer and LFR has its ups and downs.

Ups: Quick/instant ques

Downs: Have to heal stupid play, usually get plenty of 2/6 ques.

Though I am 5/6 normal mode, so I could care less fo LFR now.

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
damn 5/6? nice. We failed to kill a single boss last week, but there were tons of factors in play. Our offtank basically couldn't handle it and the first boss requires 2 good tanks. We had a priest who refused to go holy even while saying Disc was broken and worthless. Also, our gear was terrible, some of us didn't even meet the requirements to queue for a heroic (well, one person at least). This week we're all in at least full heroic (463) gear and we're giving it another shot tonite. I hope we will have success. Last week was a real downer for me. I have raided with a lot of people and this group is essentially the "all stars" for me, so I was surprised we couldnt even down a single boss.

We thought we could faceroll it because we have always been "good" at raiding, completing all heroics in previous tiers, etc.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
damn 5/6? nice. We failed to kill a single boss last week, but there were tons of factors in play. Our offtank basically couldn't handle it and the first boss requires 2 good tanks. We had a priest who refused to go holy even while saying Disc was broken and worthless. Also, our gear was terrible, some of us didn't even meet the requirements to queue for a heroic (well, one person at least). This week we're all in at least full heroic (463) gear and we're giving it another shot tonite. I hope we will have success. Last week was a real downer for me. I have raided with a lot of people and this group is essentially the "all stars" for me, so I was surprised we couldnt even down a single boss.

We thought we could faceroll it because we have always been "good" at raiding, completing all heroics in previous tiers, etc.

I love bolded statement people.

My class/spec is weak / broken. Yet I refuse to change!

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Also...

(For 10 mans)

Well, fights 1 and 2 all depend on tank strats and people not standing in stuff/too close.

Fight 3 MUST be 2 healed. And should be 2 healed by 2 powerful single target healers. Then its just coordination of dps and healers rotating in and out of the "twilight zone"

Fight 4, was simple enough. We brought in 2 people at 460 ilevel. 1 shot it with 9/10 never seeing the fight before. Should be 2 healed, as even 2 healed healing gets boring / easy.

Fight 5 took a bit. It requires 2 heals, people to constantly move in/out of the platform to get their debuffs taken off, and all 6 dps must know how to burst well. This is a tough enrage one to beat.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Fight 3 MUST be 2 healed. And should be 2 healed by 2 powerful single target healers. Then its just coordination of dps and healers rotating in and out of the "twilight zone"

Fight 4, was simple enough. We brought in 2 people at 460 ilevel. 1 shot it with 9/10 never seeing the fight before. Should be 2 healed, as even 2 healed healing gets boring / easy..
I wouldn't say fight 3 requires 2 heals, we got it to 11% with 3 heals with less than an hour of attempts and no one really knowing the fight beyond "there's a shadow phase with adds that have to be killed". For a marker our raid dps was ~340K on Feng. Because of the phasing it's nearly impossible to get a good parse on the 3rd guy so I have no idea what our dps was there. It does seem to be one of the better fights to 2 heal though, we may try that next time.

I'm looking forward to the 4th, from LFR it looks fun with the stacking mechanics (even if it's easy).

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
my own LFR experience has been that you've really got to do it Tuesday or not at all.

seems like people who care about the content/gear raid it ASAP, and the longer the week progresses, the more the raids fill up with people just shitting around or playing badly geared alts.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I wouldn't say fight 3 requires 2 heals, we got it to 11% with 3 heals with less than an hour of attempts and no one really knowing the fight beyond "there's a shadow phase with adds that have to be killed". For a marker our raid dps was ~340K on Feng. Because of the phasing it's nearly impossible to get a good parse on the 3rd guy so I have no idea what our dps was there. It does seem to be one of the better fights to 2 heal though, we may try that next time.

I'm looking forward to the 4th, from LFR it looks fun with the stacking mechanics (even if it's easy).

11% is still much to gain ground on w/o dropping to 2 heals. It is a fight to be 2 healed, until DPS gets much better gear and or maximizes the rotation of getting the buff in the shadow relm with each other, and kills adds quick enough inside.

Fights 3,4,5 are better, if not required to be 2 healed.

Fights 1,2,6 are better 3 healed until much better geared.

Basically it is kinda like Baleroc. It can be 3 healed, but you will find the dps check is much easier 2 healing it. Especially since healers (if done right) will not oom on this fight. 140k mp5 :D

Last edited: