AT World of Warcraft Thread (Legion, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
DAoC is around as well, there was a space themed one that I think is still around as well but i dont recall the name.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They have a presale going on right now, pre order the digital from blizzard and you'll get the base game and legion expansion with the BFA preorder. This let's you do everything in game from now till end of next expansion.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
EQ is not only still around, they're still releasing expansions. I got a fair bit of spam for the last one even though it's been more than a few years since I played the game.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
EQ is not only still around, they're still releasing expansions. I got a fair bit of spam for the last one even though it's been more than a few years since I played the game.

Since EQ is free to play I still log my character on now and then and talk folks I know still playing. About once a year I go to Karnor's castle all the way to the basement and train every mob I can get to the zone in. And then pile their corpses up.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
So got into the BFA beta. It now has a DX12 mode but of course it runs worse than DX11 and the game is still highly single threaded with only one of my Ryzen 7 cores almost maxed and a few more barely above idle.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, Blizzard released one of their Developer Watercooler posts today detailing some information on WoW Classic. It includes a few tidbits for the nerdy folk, but there are also a few important notes for everyone:

• WoW Classic is currently slated to be based off of Patch 1.12.
    According to the website, the major aspects are major Rogue changes, Cross-Realm Battlegrounds, and World PVP changes. 1.12 is the last major patch from the Classic series of patches, which means we'll get all raids (including Naxxramasa); however, there's no indication if we'll get things such as the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj event.
  • Blizzard is working to base WoW Classic on their current back-end design.
    A lot of this will be transparent to the user, but this also means that the game will support certain out-of-game features that the original never did such as two-factor authentication and the Battle.Net Launcher.
Overall, I'm not too sure what I think of this. I predominately played a Rogue in Vanilla, and frankly, I'll miss Mutilate, which was introduced in 2.0.1. (Of course, that was meant for level 70 players.) That was kind of the bummer when it came to Vanilla as you usually only had one viable build, or I guess two if you consider PVE and PVP.

Here's a talent calculator, which I believe is for 1.12.

Reactions: Malogeek

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I'm sure anyone who has subscribed before or has an account is aware... but just in case if not... free WoW access this weekend (active now). Figures I leave on my vacation tomorrow!

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Big patch drop is today... (almost time for a new thread...). Is the pre-expansion event just a quest line? That is all I can find when googling, maybe it is not known yet?

The pre-expansion Legion events were awesome, I might sign back up if it's something similar.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Big patch drop is today... (almost time for a new thread...). Is the pre-expansion event just a quest line? That is all I can find when googling, maybe it is not known yet?

The pre-expansion Legion events were awesome, I might sign back up if it's something similar.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I'm mostly looking forward to war mode. Some of the most fun I had in WoW Vanilla was invading Alliance territories and home cities as well as warding their invasions of ours. Who didn't like the action at Tarren Mill?

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
I'm mostly looking forward to war mode. Some of the most fun I had in WoW Vanilla was invading Alliance territories and home cities as well as warding their invasions of ours. Who didn't like the action at Tarren Mill?

I havent looked into war mode too much, but unless they add back world defense channels for warmode shards, large groups meeting will be more happenstance than design. RP servers are probably the best place to still do such things as they dont dump people from as many different locations on them.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I havent looked into war mode too much, but unless they add back world defense channels for warmode shards, large groups meeting will be more happenstance than design. RP servers are probably the best place to still do such things as they dont dump people from as many different locations on them.

Flagging war mode puts you into a shard with all of the other players that flagged for war mode. It's not server specific so it's going to be a bunch of PvP'rs duking it out in the world. PvP talents are active. PvP scaling is active, but PvE is still gear based.. XP is increased. Conquest is earned in PvP. It's going to be great if you like world PvP.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
Flagging war mode puts you into a shard with all of the other players that flagged for war mode. It's not server specific so it's going to be a bunch of PvP'rs duking it out in the world. PvP talents are active. PvP scaling is active, but PvE is still gear based.. XP is increased. Conquest is earned in PvP. It's going to be great if you like world PvP.
I know that part, but the world defense channel was removed when they added in all the auto cross server grouping to make things look more busy. So if people are raiding stormwind for instance, unless your in stormwind with the local defense channel notifying you, you still wont know that there is a large horde raid you could fight. That is unless they are adding some sort of world defense channels back in, but they took them out specifically for the sharding so its unlikely. You cant even rely on word being spread by a servers guilds and the like because even if you happen to have a guild member in a local zone under attack there is no guarantee that anyone else in the guild is even on the same shard.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I know that part, but the world defense channel was removed when they added in all the auto cross server grouping to make things look more busy. So if people are raiding stormwind for instance, unless your in stormwind with the local defense channel notifying you, you still wont know that there is a large horde raid you could fight. That is unless they are adding some sort of world defense channels back in, but they took them out specifically for the sharding so its unlikely. You cant even rely on word being spread by a servers guilds and the like because even if you happen to have a guild member in a local zone under attack there is no guarantee that anyone else in the guild is even on the same shard.

They added communities that are cross server so I imagine there will be a solution.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
They added communities that are cross server so I imagine there will be a solution.
All the cross server stuff is the reason they gave as to why they shut down the world defense channels, I used to rather enjoy going back to defend home towns but thats been non existent for me this expansion except for once when I was at an AH and an attack started during the couple of min I was there. I do hope they do something about it, now with warmode though I would guess it will go the opposite way for me since I wont play with warmode on and if I go to AH im not going to turn in on specifically while Im there either.